Welcome BigFooty Saints Board Introductions - What's your background in following the Saints?

Remove this Banner Ad

I love reading all of your stories in this thread, great stuff. :thumbsu:

I've seen this thread at the top before but I haven't posted in it yet, so... here I go!

I'm 21 and currently living in the western suburbs of Melbourne. My whole family are Saints supporters (grandparents, parents, brother, uncle, auntie, cousins... everyone!) so it was only natural that I would end up supporting them as well. My first game was against Brisbane here in Melbourne... I can't remember what year it was or the result but it didn't really matter to me - I had a blast watching them and I knew that I would be a Saint forever.

I loved watching guys like Riewoldt, Koschitzke, Gehrig, Milne, Hamill, Baker, Fisher, Hayes, Goddard, Ball, Dal Santo, Jones, Schwarze... the list goes on. It didn't take me long to choose my favourite Saint. Watching the number 44 buzzing around the forward line and working his magic down there resulted in me getting the 44 on the back of my guernsey.

As much as I love the Saints, it's been equally as painful. I remember after the 2004 Preliminary Final against Port Adelaide, 10-year-old me locked herself up in her room and cried alone (sad, I know :p). I was shattered. The 09/10 Grand Finals hurt just as much. Honestly, I can't even bring myself to look at those 3 games anymore...

Well, as the saying goes, sometimes good things fall apart so better things can fall together.

The young Saints (not sure if I can say that, seeing how I'm around the same age as most of them now!) that are coming through right now are reminding me of those ~03/04 years. You can just feel that something special is building... we've all suffered through our fair share of pain but I know that it will all result in the ultimate success one day.

Thought I'd break up the sausage fest. Hi everyone, I'm a female Saints supporter from sunny Victoria.
This is my first time posting as only recently discovered Big Footy. Shameful I know!
I love the Saints, I'm a member and go to most games. The draft and trade period I love, especially at the moment with Trout and Bainsy nailing the drafts as they have been doing. It's exciting.
The young blokes coming through are going to be absolute stars. The ultimate success for our club isn't far away.
I won't rattle on anymore. Nice to meet you all. ☺️

Last edited:
46yo male. First post. Been busy. Old man supports saints, so no alternative. Loved going to Morroabbin in 80's, 90's, mainly to watch Plugger. One of favourite memories is plugger kicking a goal at MCG night game in 4th qtr, me marking the ball and running to Richmond station without stopping. Noone was ever going to stop me borrowing the game ball. Only child named Harvey. If IVF had of worked, 2nd born would have been named Lenny, boy or girl. Mainly a pre-emptive strike to stop Richmond in-laws hijacking my child/ren, but pretty much answers who my favourite players are/were.

Love the fact I support a battling club, but come on, just one flag and I will be forever happy. Been to all major finals, but could never re-watch any prelim/GF losses. Just hurts too much

26years young. Grandparents are from England and my grandfather supported the South Hampton Saints. They moved to Melbourne late 60's early 70's where my grandfather was introduced to the sport of AFL where he spotted a team known as the Saints and has followed ever since. Move ahead nearly 30 years to the 97 grand final which as a 9 year old Collingwood supporter (both my parents are Collingwood supporters) I remember watching the Saints. Don't have to bring up how that one turned out. In 98 the mission began for my grandfather to recruit me as a St Kilda supporter and save me from the no tooth brigade. He offered me a dollar a win to convert to which I accepted. As we all know the Saints didn't exactly light it up over the next few years so my pa saved a few bucks there although he did buy me a membership each year. To this day I am still a Saints supporter (free of charge) and I still regularly attend matches with my grandfather for whom I now buy a membership.

26years young. Grandparents are from England and my grandfather supported the South Hampton Saints. They moved to Melbourne late 60's early 70's where my grandfather was introduced to the sport of AFL where he spotted a team known as the Saints and has followed ever since. Move ahead nearly 30 years to the 97 grand final which as a 9 year old Collingwood supporter (both my parents are Collingwood supporters) I remember watching the Saints. Don't have to bring up how that one turned out. In 98 the mission began for my grandfather to recruit me as a St Kilda supporter and save me from the no tooth brigade. He offered me a dollar a win to convert to which I accepted. As we all know the Saints didn't exactly light it up over the next few years so my pa saved a few bucks there although he did buy me a membership each year. To this day I am still a Saints supporter (free of charge) and I still regularly attend matches with my grandfather for whom I now buy a membership.
This is a great story of inter-generational love

25 years old, grew up in Aspendale, except for the first couple of years when we were in moorabbin, dad used to take me down to home games for the last quarter (apparently). dad grew up a few blocks away from the ground went to every home game as a kid. Hence i got the saints gene
vaguely remember 97, but really started following the game when we drafted Roo & Kozi. Though my favourite player quickly became Sammy Hamill.
Moved out to Gippsland for uni once i finished school, which made getting to games hard.
But in my room at mum and dad's while i was gone they housed first year players for 3 years they moved down the coast at the start of this year tho so thats out of the picture now, was great while it lasted tho

currently living in melbourne, and get to as many games as i can.

Ben, 29. Originally from Bendigo but have since moved to Melbourne. Grew up following Fitzroy and really fell out of love with footy when they merged with the bears and went up north. Upon moving back down to Melbourne I decided I needed a team to follow again. I was living in South Melbourne at the time, so St Kilda was quite close and I used to do a bit of Athletics and Basketball with Dal Santo when I was younger. So I figure that's as good a reason as any to follow the Saints, and was lucky enough to have some moderately successful years quite soon after that which really got me right back into loving the game again. Now I yell at the TV like I never missed a beat... Just wish I had some mates who followed the Saints also, filthy Pies, Blues and Tigers supporters, the lot of em'...

Hey everyone, I'm Ruth. I grew up in Canberra with rugby and didn't covert until I moved to Melbourne in 2006. It took a good few years to get my head around it all but now I've been a member for 5 years, in 3 different states. I'm in QLD at the moment and I had a brief stint in Sydney too. Jack Steven is my favourite cos he's a bit of a hippy and I dig that.

I'm 21 and currently living in the western suburbs of Melbourne.
My first game was against Brisbane here in Melbourne... I can't remember what year it was or the result but it didn't really matter to me - I had a blast watching them and I knew that I would be a Saint forever.

I loved watching guys like Riewoldt, Koschitzke, Gehrig, Milne, Hamill, Baker, Fisher, Hayes, Goddard, Ball, Dal Santo, Jones, Schwarze... the list goes on. It didn't take me long to choose my favourite Saint.

Watching the number 44 buzzing around the forward line and working his magic down there resulted in me getting the 44 on the back of my guernsey.

Could well have been a certain Friday night game at Etihad where No.44 kicked 11 against Brisbane.

My dad grew up in Elwood right near the footy ground. Well close anyway. Most of his mates followed the Saints and one of his best and oldest mates played for the Saints, Brian Muir in the late 50's. He was also COS in the 1966 GF side. Brian that is not my dad. When dad got married he moved to east Bentleigh before the saints moved. I was born in 1961 and as such only knew the Saints at Moorabbin and had little option but to follow them even though mum is a demon and she also follows them. In 1992 just before the first final that year I went to the Saints taberat and happened to me meet my now ex wife there who was also a demon but followed the saints. We lived in east Bentleigh and as I knew John Beveridge he asked us to host some players. We did that for a few years which was great. Still follow them like a crazy person but don't go as often as I'm heavily involved in the Ormond FC. 49 years today since our last flag. I think the time is just about due. Well I friggin hope so.

I'm 30 grew up around Moorabbin son of a Saints man who teared up on the tram back after 71 and on the maternal side granddads been a Saints man since Junction Oval who every week bets against us to get through the loses. I made my pocket money collecting tinnies after the games (still upset I lost my 'Keep The Saints at Moorabbin' badge) My best memory is the 1996 Ansett cup these teenagers figured they'd be safe if little kids ran on first so they had us lined up and when the siren went we bolted straight for the guys. Worst memory is still 1993 first time to Victoria Park my dad was looking forward to us beating Collingwood at their home. The toothless bleach blond balding durry chewing old hag behind us was my introduction to racism. People never really talk about how they nearly rioted. Overseas in 1997 was snuck into a pub to watch the GF. I came back in 2000 and in 2007 after going 0 and 12 when I made it down decided I was a jinx but have rejoined this year and hope too break the streak in 2018.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Male 57. Lived in Bentleigh. Carl Dietrich was always around, saying gidday, as his best mate lived opposite us. My Father and his mates where all mad Saints fans. Used to go to Moorabin with them in the late 60's and when the slabs got down to the level where I couldn't stand on them anymore to see the game, I'd go and get one of the food sale trays and spend the 2nd half selling meat pies in places where I could get a better view. Got involved with the Cheer squad in the early 70's (scored my first decent kiss on a train trip back from a game, think I was 14 and she was 16 - Ah! Those Saints girls..) Designed my 1st and only run through banner for a Saints/North game which was not a hit at the North home ground, with the Saints running around it and not through it, due to it's unsportsmanlike representation of North. (A take on one of our home ground fence banners with the word "wooden spoon" and "North" inserted in strategic places). Such is life. Lived in North Queensland since 77 and have passed the Saints curse onto my offspring. Barracking for Saints is sorta like Vegemite in some instances - if you get it from birth, your hooked

Last edited:
50 yr old here
I come from a family of Sainters. My first 4-5 years were in Brighton so I am unsure if that's the beginning of the family's love of the saints from the mic 60,s. There was also a suggestion that my grandfather played for the saints just before the outbreak of ww1, but as a kid I believed it but I am now certain that is a bit of a family tale that gets bigger every year.
In about 1970 when I was about 5( can't be sure of the exact time) I have this vague memory of standing I. The hallway of our house( by this time we had moved to the wild western suburbs) and I can recall the old man trying to talk me into gong for collinwood while thf rest of the family were doing the same for the saints. Thank god I chose the path of following goodness instead of evil.
I am not sure when my first game was but I think it was about 1970.
So like s lot of us I can remember winning games in the early 70s then falling apart in the mid 70.s
One of my fondest memories was when I was presented with a signed book from George Young and Glen Elliot on my 12 birthday at s social club function. I also remember playing footy behind the grandstand at morrabbin.

I attended all games at morrabbin and a few away each year and was not to far from the Robbie Muir hit on Collins. I have since learnt that it was more a dive from Collins

Not many wins at morrabbin but boy did I enjoy them like a flag when we did win.

Hi all, some of you may have seen me floating around the forums from time to time, but I figured it was time to make an actual introduction. In short, I've been supporting the mighty Saints for my entire life (just turned 20), so not a significant amount of time but certainly long enough to build a life-long love of the club. My parents & sisters both support the Saints, so it only came natural that the Saints would be my team of choice to follow as well. In the past, I used to only watch the the finals games, so I was by no means a hardcore fan- I've only gotten into the footy element fully over the last two or three years, and since then I haven't missed watching a game and I've read every article on the Saints & AFL website relating to our club. I've definitely built a strong love of the game and of the club over the last two or three years and I'm looking forward to our next run at finals, which hopefully will be in another two or three years.

I haven't told too many people in my life this just yet (only family, infact), but five days ago I was diagnosed with Aspergers Syndrome, which was a little bit of a shock but at the same time an eye opening revelation about myself. I'd been suspecting it for about a year or two. The Saints, and footy as a whole has definitely been one of my latest "obsessions", which are common for people with Aspergers, and it's been good to dig into footy and sports as a whole, as it's given me something positive to invest a huge percentage of my time into. Aspergers is by no means a negative condition, and holds many positives which are usually overlooked in the stereotypes, so I hope my condition doesn't form any negative first impressions on any of you; but I'm sure it won't as us Sainters pride ourselves on being a friendly, welcoming & accepting community of people, and that's one of the reasons I love this club & it's people.

All in all, I'm looking forward to a lifetime of supporting the Saints, and I know that it won't be long before we pin another flag in the trophy cabinet.

Every time I see something red white and black at the supermarket I yell out GO SAINTS!! and show it to wife or kids.

I buy neapoliten icecream and tell the kids that its Saints icecream.

I double the kids pocket money if the saints win.

A picture cut out of Nicky Winmar adorns top spot on our Chrissy tree.

When I was coaching ammo footy I always looked after any Saints supporters when it came to selection time.

I once paid an extra $350 for a cannoe so that I could get in saints colours.

Im probably no different to the rest of you.

Go Saints!

26 years old from Adelaide, picked the Crows as a young kid before jumping from team to team based on who my friends went for. Was watching a Collingwood v St Kilda match in 1996 (Collingwood was the flavour of the month at that stage- thank goodness that didn't stick) and I saw Peter Everitt with his dreadlocks and fingerless gloves punching a Collingwood player and thought he must be the coolest player ever. I promptly switched my allegiance to St Kilda and for some reason stayed with them. They then made the GF in 1997 against the Crows, and the persecution I received at that time somehow strengthened my resolve and I've stuck with them ever since!

Hi all !! 27 y.o guy who grew up in SE suburbs of Melbourne. The old man was a big Saints man so followed him . Loved going to Waverly as a kid. Been to 4 GF's and still waiting for us to lift the cup. St Kilda supporters usually have a certain quality about them that stands out. Must have something to do with the near misses over the years. Fav players have been Stewie Loewe, Aussie Jones and then BJ before he left.

G'Day everyone,

More of a social poster on here as I love this time of year and the constant game of chess list managers play. I'm 28 next month, live in Patterson Lakes and have been following the saints since the old man had me on his shoulders at moorabbin, cutting up phone books to throw after a goal was kicked, you know the good times.... seen some great games over the years, was at the stadium when schwarze kicked that goal to sink brisbane. Seen the little tiprat feast on the carcass many times. G-train had the whole crowd yelling Geh-Rig. buckets, harvey, Roo, Sir Lenny, Goddards mark in the 2010 gf would be mark of the century if we hold that cup! I mean I love the saints and will defend them to anyone. Especially when they throw the classic line "one flag in how long"... i respond what have you done since 2000 buddies....

Lived in St Kilda for awhile, it was 1962-1964 and i went to the Junction Oval with a Bombers fan, my older brother, i was just a kid and had to put up with my older brothers, bombers and tigers fans trying to convert me.

I stood on beer cans near the stand, helped rip up phone books and dunny role and throw over the fence. I didnt watch much of the game, just a kid having loads of fun.

After the game a St Kilda player just about to go up the race ruffled my hair and said good on you young fella, he was a big blonde bloke whos number ended up on my jumper #10.

I was converted, my brothers hated it, but i finally had my club of my own choice " THE MIGHTY SAINTS"

We moved up to Elwood in 1965 and the saints moved to Moorabbin, i used to walk from my home to Moorabbin and watch the boys, all i thought about was the Saints.

In 1966 we moved to N.S.W no footy there back then, it was all about Rugby League, i was deprived of any contact with my much loved footy team, i would scour their news papers for snippets and one day my heart went boom as i read we had defeated the filth by 1point in a granny, i wore my Saints jumper to bed that night.

I would go ok as a kid playing footy but had to convert to Rugby League, i also went ok and nearly got to play A grade in Sydney as an 19yo but i liked my beer and mates too much to show that sort of discipline.

1982 I moved to Moorabbin and lived behind the ground until 1992, i saw so many thrilling games but alas we were a pretty s**t side back then, i never missed a home game and sometimes there was pretty much no one there.

I remember seeing a blue falcon come screaming around the corner where the old Moorabbin pub stood, inside were Plugger and Spud, the big bloke was driving. I remeber being over at the club for a Sunday recovery session, Winmar and Plugger were playing pool and drinking V.B how times have changed.

I moved out of Moorabbin and the Saints moved to Waverley, i was still living in the South East and went to many a game over there, but it didnt have the atmosphere of the old dung heap.

Dont like Etihad, have been there quite a few times but it does nothing for me, i was there the night Banger retired, that was pretty emotional.

These days work commitments require me to be on call pretty much 24/7, but i still try and catch every game, even if its streaming on my phone, i keep my membership up to date, and have the jumpers from our last 4 losing grannys on my wall 1997, 2009, 2010, i have decided not to buy jumpers before the game again, i seem to moz them, i will buy the next one after we win the thing :thumbsu:

Last edited:
Hi everyone,

19 Years old from country Victoria here. Lifelong Saints fan from a whole family of sainters. I could go on for a long time about my love for the club and the games, players, goals etc. that turned me into such a passionate Saints man. I'll only point out the key few that stick out to me, as I'm sure they're memories shared fondly by all of us on here.

Went to see St Kilda vs. North Melbourne in 2003 - G Train kicked 9 and we won with a last minute goal. Not my earliest footy memory, but the first time I can remember being so excited by a Saints victory. That was such an exciting time to be a Saints fan, and I remember particularly players like Gehrig, Hammill, Aussie Jones, Hayes and many many others making me so proud to support the Red, White and Black.

Fast forward 12 Years to 2015 and I can't wait for the next few years. Back in June, I took what is now a rare opportunity to head down to see the Saints live (family heavily involved in local footy). Made the 7 hour round trip on the train to be reminded of why I love this club and this game so much. Joey kicks the winning goal to get us up over the Dees, Rooey kicks 4 and our next crop of young players look very exciting. I miss the big games (finals in particular) of 2004-10, and I've resolved to be there for all the big ones of the future no matter where I am or what I'm doing.

Just yesterday I accepted an offer of Study in Canberra, meaning 'll be living in rugby country most of the time for the foreseeable future. That hasn't stopped me becoming a bought and paid for Saints member for the first time ever, but I'm hoping to be fairly active on here from now on so I can stay sane living where nobody cares about my great love the Sainters.

Believe it or not I've tried to keep this short, apologies for the long post Can't wait for 2016 and beyond.

Go Sainters!

Just came on to update mine but can't find my post.

We just had our own father-son nomination so the St Kilda faithful (and membership) increased by 1 in September. We had girl names agreed but if a boy I was pushing to name him after a Saint, with Jarryn top of my list. Lenny doesnt go with the surname, and theres already a Nick, Jack and Josh in the family. In the end we settled for Brodie.

So whilst I've never been his biggest fan, I'm now hoping Brodie Murdoch works a steady AFL career so I have some highlights and a Wikipedia page to show my son in a few years time!

Remove this Banner Ad

Back