2016 Draft discussion

Remove this Banner Ad

Scrimshaw interests me a lot. While he might not have the best skills the way he moves in traffic and creates space for himself for someone his size is a massive tick for mine. If the Lions draft him I'd hope they try to develop him as an inside midfielder as I think in the long run he could be something special. He reminds me of the Bont a bit maybe not as good on the inside but freakier with his athleticism.

Just found a Youtube vid of him.

He absolutely caught my eye - and a leftie. Watching the game reminded me of watching GWS yesterday. Tons of flairy and lairy types ..

Gimme gimme gimme gimme .....

GREATER Western Sydney believes it deserves zone access to the best key forward in next year’s draft.

Tall marking forward Jarrod Brander is shaping as 2017’s No.1 selection but could be stripped of his GWS academy status given his parents’ housing arrangements.

He grew up in Wentworth, half an hour into NSW, but his parents now split their time between there and another house in Victorian town Mildura, 30km away.

Brander played for the Bendigo Pioneers in the TAC Cup before heading to boarding school at Geelong Grammar, causing confusion over rules that state a player must live in a zone for five continuous years.

AFL talent manager Kevin Sheehan said Brander was an “extremely promising” key forward at 195cm with a great set of hands plus exceptional mobility and agility.

A delegation of Giants last week met with AFL officials to discuss Brander’s case as well as zone eligibility rules and the borders for their academy in coming years.

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/a...r/news-story/38a92e729fa5cb66c2f221b45e7f3639

Really wouldn't hurt for the GWS and Swans academies to have a couple of lean years...
Them continuing to get elite talent while in the position they are in now hurts the chances of us keeping our academy access.

If I was the AFL, and I knew that GWS were trying to maneuver to trade picks with Essendon to get No. 1 so they could take McGrath, I couldn't do much about it. Unless....

...I gave an unnamed team a PP before the first round and that unnamed team used their PP to draft McGrath rather than allow GWS to accumulate even more talent.

That's what I would do.

Gimme gimme gimme gimme .....

GREATER Western Sydney believes it deserves zone access to the best key forward in next year’s draft.

Tall marking forward Jarrod Brander is shaping as 2017’s No.1 selection but could be stripped of his GWS academy status given his parents’ housing arrangements.

He grew up in Wentworth, half an hour into NSW, but his parents now split their time between there and another house in Victorian town Mildura, 30km away.

Brander played for the Bendigo Pioneers in the TAC Cup before heading to boarding school at Geelong Grammar, causing confusion over rules that state a player must live in a zone for five continuous years.

AFL talent manager Kevin Sheehan said Brander was an “extremely promising” key forward at 195cm with a great set of hands plus exceptional mobility and agility.

A delegation of Giants last week met with AFL officials to discuss Brander’s case as well as zone eligibility rules and the borders for their academy in coming years.

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/a...r/news-story/38a92e729fa5cb66c2f221b45e7f3639

Wow. As if GWS have a glaring need for yet ANOTHER absolute GUN key forward...

If I was the AFL, and I knew that GWS were trying to maneuver to trade picks with Essendon to get No. 1 so they could take McGrath, I couldn't do much about it. Unless....

...I gave an unnamed team a PP before the first round and that unnamed team used their PP to draft McGrath rather than allow GWS to accumulate even more talent.

That's what I would do.

like your thinking but not your chances!

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Mitch Hannan from Bulldogs VFL is a player we should have a look at.
189cm quick, springy, clever forward. Very natural player. Been impressive all year. Only 19-20 as well.

Have seen scrimshaw compared to oth Birchall and Bont. Shifter Sheehan compared him to Bont today though (although he suffers from optimism bias)

Wallace suggested we oick Bowes at pick 2 with potential to grab a Queenslander the attraction. Expected if we did gcs would still match.

Wallace also had 3 key defenders in the 12-20 on the draft. Think we wouldn't go astray moving into that part of the drafttoget one.

Also gws should just have the Riverina cut from their academy are to fix this issu. Has always been a footy area way to strong.

Also gws should just have the Riverina cut from their academy are to fix this issu. Has always been a footy area way to strong.

Given it's always been a footy area, out of curiousity how many players were taking in the ND from the Riverina in the 20 years before the academy came in?

Given it's always been a footy area, out of curiousity how many players were taking in the ND from the Riverina in the 20 years before the academy came in?
I have no issue with the Riverina as a whole, as you say areas like Wagga weren't producing much for years. But I'm not sure the Giants should have access to players from border towns like Albury, Finley etc, that are in NSW, but whose footy clubs are under the AFL Victoria umbrella (from my understanding). I'm not sure exactly how all the TAC cup zones and things work, but wouldn't the youngsters from those places have access to development through that program already? I'm happy to be corrected on that by the way.

Mitch Hannan from Bulldogs VFL is a player we should have a look at.
189cm quick, springy, clever forward. Very natural player. Been impressive all year. Only 19-20 as well.
There are several players in that side who are high standard ,they were fantastic,like the seniors.

So are we gonna miss out on McGrath? Clear first pick for Brisbane for mine. Essendon need Others more. I hope GWS don't trade to get McGrath!

Remove this Banner Ad

Back