Surely the Bulldogs win is the greatest ever triumph in AFL/VFL history

Remove this Banner Ad

I'm legitimately scared that Plugger might apply for a job as security at the MCG, work his way up through the ranks (over the course of say, 45 years) that he may be able to guard the umps in the unlikely event that St Kilda get there on the big day. That way he can have the closest view and be able to critically (?!?!o_Oo_Oo_O) assess the umpires performance on the day.

Pretty sure the OP has nailed it - nobody has come up with any challenger (save for the Fitzroy spoon / flag year which was in an amateur, smaller competition).

There's one obsessed sook who is trying to deflect attention away from the miraculous win out of petty jealousy because he knows deep down it's true - it's probably the best Grand Final triumph in AFL history, especially if the previous 23 months are taken into account.

Happy days :)

Name and shame Mofra ;)

In terms of percentage it was the most one sided umpiring in a GF since the free kick differential was 12 free kicks and the Swans only got 8 free kicks.

The free kick count was actually 17-4 at 3 quarter time when scores were still pretty much level, the umpires then generously doubled the Swans free kick tally in the last quarter once the result was decided.

Yeah but the umpires had no influence on the result at all.:rolleyes:
A8LQSRt.png

Bloody umpires trying to get the Swans back into it :mad::mad::mad:

:)

BTW free kick count at 3 quarter time was 15-4. Let's deal in facts please.

Last edited:
The free kick count was actually 17-4 at 3 quarter time when scores were still pretty much level, the umpires then generously doubled the Swans free kick tally in the last quarter once the result was decided.

That moment when you monumentally f*** up and forget what side you're arguing.

Read what you've posted again.

Scores are basically level at 3 quarter time. The game is in the balance. After that point the umpires double the Swans free kick count when the game is there to be won, and yet the Bulldogs overcame said adversity and you're trying to spin it so that the bias towards the Swans cost them the game.

Make up your mind and please seek help.

Actually this comment is probably true, certainly everyone that I watched the GF with (all neutrals) thought that the Dogs were clearly advantaged by the umpires.
Hey don't spoil this thread with facts, according to Bulldogs supporters I'm the only person that thought the Dogs were favoured by the umpires.
You do realise the difference between a fact and an anecdote don't you?

Of course one was for holding the ball on Buddy. Great tackle imo
Yep, one of the many advantage calls we took advantage of so the free kick made no difference to actual play.

It did lead directly to Boyd's 3rd goal which was still responsible for the loudest cheer I've ever heard at the football. Incredible moment :)

Yep, one of the many advantage calls we took advantage of so the free kick made no difference to actual play.

It did lead directly to Boyd's 3rd goal which was still responsible for the loudest cheer I've ever heard at the football. Incredible moment :)
Majority of the free kicks were played on, so the free kicks didn't help majorly

A8LQSRt.png

Bloody umpires trying to get the Swans back into it :mad::mad::mad:

:)

BTW free kick count at 3 quarter time was 15-4. Let's deal in facts please.

That moment when you monumentally f*** up and forget what side you're arguing.

Read what you've posted again.

Scores are basically level at 3 quarter time. The game is in the balance. After that point the umpires double the Swans free kick count when the game is there to be won, and yet the Bulldogs overcame said adversity and you're trying to spin it so that the bias towards the Swans cost them the game.

Make up your mind and please seek help.

Yeah a huge f*** up there.:rolleyes:

If the free kick count was actually 15-4 at 3 qtr time then the Bulldogs still won the free kick count 5-4 in the last quarter.

Whichever way you dice it you can't deny the Bulldogs were heavily favoured by the umpires in that game, when the Swans were getting on top in the 2nd and 3rd quarters the one sided umpiring kept the Bulldogs in the game.

Instead of the Swans having a matchwinning lead at 3 qtr time which they most likely would have had with fair umpiring the scores were pretty much level and with the Dogs running power it was always going to give them an advantage in the last quarter.

Got to love the mental gymnastics that Bulldogs supporters are performing to try and justify the lopsided free kick count.

If the free kick count was actually 15-4 at 3 qtr time then the Bulldogs still won the free kick count 5-4 in the last quarter.

Whichever way you dice it you can't deny the Bulldogs were heavily favoured by the umpires in that game, when the Swans were getting on top in the 2nd and 3rd quarters the one sided umpiring kept the Bulldogs in the game.

Instead of the Swans having a matchwinning lead at 3 qtr time which they most likely would have had with fair umpiring the scores were pretty much level and with the Dogs running power it was always going to give them an advantage in the last quarter.

Got to love the mental gymnastics that Bulldogs supporters are performing to try and justify the lopsided free kick count.

As opposed to the mental faceplants from you?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Oh so were the 4 Swans frees in the last to even up the count when the game was over or not? You keep being presented with real facts and just ignore them.

I'll happily say we got the rub of the green in the game. But I deny your claims of how much it affected the final result, or that there is some sort of AFL driven conspiracy to gift us a flag.

You haven't actually presented any real evidence other than the free kick count (which does not have to be 50-50) and your loose accusations. There are the real mental gymnastics in this thread.

Back on topic, what a wonderful month for the Bulldogs. Memories to cherish forever.

Actually I didn't blame the umpires for us losing the 2010 flag, those two GFs were well umpired compared to the 2016 GF farce.

I blamed the fact Collingwood were fresher than us as they had played about 10 games straight at the MCG before the GF without any interstate travel.

Yeah hats off to Bevo, like Clarko he taught the Bulldogs how to play for free kicks and cheat the rules Hawks style.

He probably had the umpires posters on the changeroom wall and had the players wining and dining with them like Hawthorn did.

It certainly paid dividends for you.

Hey don't spoil this thread with facts, according to Bulldogs supporters I'm the only person that thought the Dogs were favoured by the umpires.

In terms of percentage it was the most one sided umpiring in a GF since the free kick differential was 12 free kicks and the Swans only got 8 free kicks.

I stopped reading at the "How the Western Bulldogs captured a nation's adoration after years of disappointment" opening title.

There were plenty of neutrals barracking for the Swans and even more were barracking for them after the way the Swans were robbed by the umpires.

I guess you can excuse a New Yorker for being clueless, he probably just mistook the Victorian football media's adoration for the nation's adoration.
Just let it go.

Just let it go.
I like the bit where he keeps reminding Bulldog Supporters that we won the Premiership the best, then pretends it's somehow getting under our skin.

"Hey Tom Boyd, you're tall, handsome and rich with a premiership medallion"
"Sick burn mate"

:drunk:

Well I'm done with this thread, I've made my points, the fact so many Bulldogs supporters have flocked in here to attack me speaks volumes.

If there was no truth to the fact you were heavily favoured by the umpires you wouldn't be so precious and melty about it, deep down you know the truth.

I'm sure you guys will try and claim a false victory over me now I'm gone.

Adieu

Well I'm done with this thread, I've made my points, the fact so many Bulldogs supporters have flocked in here to attack me speaks volumes.

If there was no truth to the fact you were heavily favoured by the umpires you wouldn't be so precious and melty about it, deep down you know the truth.

Adieu
LOL

You're the one who said it was 17-4 and still mounted your argument accordingly. Epic fail.

Adieu

You won the war MWNN. Lol rito m8s we're done.

If you're so outraged at the umpiring in the grand final, why don't you grab your pitchfork, put on your overalls and straw hat, march down to wynnstay rd and protest to Gil himself to reverse the result. Good luck.

Adieu

Your posts can't be taken as "neutral" because you obviously keep referring to "the dogs supporters" in an insulting manner. Obviously you're not neutral at all and have something against the bulldogs and that obsession "speaks volumes".

Was happy to see some praise from other on GF day on the saints board. We had a healthy rivalry not too long ago and only wish them success (unless it's at our expense)

On that comment, I had a quick look at previous free kick counts, given that's the single way we're assessing umpiring performance. I chose a random year to go back to, which for some strange reason ended up being 1966. Below are some of the free kick counts with large differentials:

2012 - Sydney (10 FF) vs Hawthorn (21 FF)
1995 - Carlton (25 FF) vs Geelong (13 FF)
1983 - Hawthorn (44 FF) vs Essendon (26 FF)
1980 - Richmond (25 FF) vs Collingwood (37 FF)
1979 - Carlton (37 FF) vs Collingwood (54 FF)
1975 - North Melbourne (38 FF) vs Hawthorn (26 FF)
1974 - Richmond (29 FF) vs North Melbourne (42 FF)
1966 - St Kilda (39 FF) vs Collingwood (26 FF)

Yet you claim that there is 'no doubt about' the fact this was the most one-sided umpiring in a grand final ever.

Clearly an AFL instruction to gift the Dogs a flag to suit their fairytale. :'(

All irrelevant waffle.

And FYI, it wasnt necessarily the free kick count per se, but rather:

- the timing and location of the frees
- the resultant scoreboard damage caused
- the ones which werent paid

But if you really want to believe that you were not given a substantial rub of the green then that is your choice.

Anyhow, thats my last contribution on the matter as it is time to turn our attention to the trade period. Enjoy your flag.

All irrelevant waffle.

And FYI, it wasnt necessarily the free kick count per se, but rather:

- the timing and location of the frees
- the resultant scoreboard damage caused
- the ones which werent paid

But if you really want to believe that you were not given a substantial rub of the green then that is your choice.

Anyhow, thats my last contribution on the matter as it is time to turn our attention to the trade period. Enjoy your flag.
Any chance you could back up vague statements with examples? We got several 50-50 calls, but I only remember two dreadful calls going our way - when McLean dived on the ball and the HTB against Rampe. Smith's free a few seconds later was possibly soft but technically there.

I think the crowd noise pushed the umpiring in our favour and basically gave us two 50m penalties which was unlucky for you guys

So the Bulldogs travelling interstate twice during the finals series further enhances the OP claims?

Excellent!

Good point by Plugger, the travel definitely made our achievement far more impressive.

The Saints didn't have to travel once in 1997, 2009 and 2010. Pro-Saints AFL travel conspiracy? I say 100% definitely.

It's clear that he admires what we did this finals series. I liken his performance in this thread to a little girl punching the boy she likes, because she doesn't know how else to express her affection.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back