Prediction Four to the Fore

Remove this Banner Ad

GarnerSmash

They tried to make me go to rehab
10k Posts Ex-Moderator North Melbourne - 2015 Daw & MacMillan Player Sponsor North Melbourne - 2014 Daw, Black, Gibson Player Sponsor North Melbourne - 2013 Daw, Black and Gibson Player Sponsorship North Melbourne - North 2012 Player Sponsor North Melbourne - North 2011 Player Sponsor North Melbourne - North 2010 Player Sponsor
Jun 2, 2009
AFL Club
North Melbourne
In what is going to be a year of significant transition for the North Melbourne Football club it is clear that the team needs players to stand up and make a name for themselves, to get over the losses of club stalwarts and to announce themselves as genuine talents of the competition. In this thread I would love to hear fellow supporters opinions on who are the four players (arbitrary but * it) who they would love to see stand up and take this club forward, and why these are the guys to do so.

Imma start.

Jed Anderson:

With the loss Wells around the contests, a space has opened for Anderson to step into, if he is fit enough and good enough. Our rotations lack explosiveness at the player and in generating space away from the initial stoppage and with this in mind Anderson comes into play. Over the course of the preseason he needs to work hard on his endurance and almost as importantly his self-belief. The latter holds him back as anything else IMO.

I think Jed needs to play around 60/40 midfield/half forward next year. If he can make the transition I think we will be able to cover the loss of Wells pretty…., well, well.

Luke McDonald:

Ok, * it. The bloke needs to get into the middle. Excellent size for a mid, runs hard, runs all day, hits hard, burns for the contest, quicker than average and a raking boot. I think he needs to be given the opportunity to show what he has got where the game is the hottest. For North to go forward we need to change up the rotations, and McDonald in there (along with Anderson) goes a fair way to addressing that.

He may not be the most skilful, but we don’t know how his skills will transition into the contest around the ball. He may also find more space in the forward half as a consequence of being further up the ground, giving him the opportunity to work on pin pointing that long left peg.

Mason Wood:

Capable of the dynamic, will Wood be able to showcase his talents with regularity now that a spot in the 22 is his to lose? Quick, hard running, agile, strong hands, confident and skilled, there are two things missing from his game. Consistency and defensive application. If he can elevate his baseline offensive and defensive performances then the sky is the limit, and North look a very difficult prospect to contain in the forward half.

Post Boomer the path is open for a new hero and here is the guy with the package to be that player. 2017 could be the year of Wood.

Taylor Garner:

Last chance saloon for Tay Tay. A high impact player who scares the bejeezus out of the opposition with his manic attack on the ball and man, his ability to make s**t happen and his ability to play taller than he appears. We have all seen glimpses of real talent (that 10 minute burst in the 2nd quarter of the 2015 Elim final……….there was movement) but his paper hammies have really stifled his development. If the medics can manage to get him on the park for the majority of 2017 I reckon the sky is the limit for this kid and he makes our options in the forward half seriously dynamic.

Well said; if there's a fifth to the fore, I'd pick Dumont - I see on the stats he was 7th or 8th in the comp for goal assists per game (even with his 12 or 13 games), and his delivery into 50 in the finals loss to Adelaide shows he can put to advantage. Badly need that week in, week out

Great OP. The other really interesting one for me is Majak Daw. Everything has been laid out for him: he just has to take it and run with it. The belief seems to be there, as does his ability to stay on the park, mostly. Next comes consistent output. Two goals per game and about 10-15 hitouts as the 2nd ruck will be the benchmark, and I think he is capable of this. If he reaches that mark, he'll keep his place. Defensive pressure and chasing/tackling are his strengths, and must be played to as well.

EDIT: The other things he needs to do are to be a marking presence deep, preferably in the goalsquare when the ball is coming in, and then be a target on the way out of D50. Pretty much Drew's role, with the rucking added on. The bonus of him being ruck, also, is that it frees Browny to be a full time forward, where he is clearly the most dangerous.

Well said; if there's a fifth to the fore, I'd pick Dumont - I see on the stats he was 7th or 8th in the comp for goal assists per game (even with his 12 or 13 games), and his delivery into 50 in the finals loss to Adelaide shows he can put to advantage. Badly need that week in, week out
I was going to include la grenouille but i could think of an equivalent to fore for five.

Five to stay alive ?

In what is going to be a year of significant transition for the North Melbourne Football club it is clear that the team needs players to stand up and make a name for themselves, to get over the losses of club stalwarts and to announce themselves as genuine talents of the competition. In this thread I would love to hear fellow supporters opinions on who are the four players (arbitrary but **** it) who they would love to see stand up and take this club forward, and why these are the guys to do so.

Imma start.

Jed Anderson:

With the loss Wells around the contests, a space has opened for Anderson to step into, if he is fit enough and good enough. Our rotations lack explosiveness at the player and in generating space away from the initial stoppage and with this in mind Anderson comes into play. Over the course of the preseason he needs to work hard on his endurance and almost as importantly his self-belief. The latter holds him back as anything else IMO.

I think Jed needs to play around 60/40 midfield/half forward next year. If he can make the transition I think we will be able to cover the loss of Wells pretty…., well, well.

Luke McDonald:

Ok, **** it. The bloke needs to get into the middle. Excellent size for a mid, runs hard, runs all day, hits hard, burns for the contest, quicker than average and a raking boot. I think he needs to be given the opportunity to show what he has got where the game is the hottest. For North to go forward we need to change up the rotations, and McDonald in there (along with Anderson) goes a fair way to addressing that.

He may not be the most skilful, but we don’t know how his skills will transition into the contest around the ball. He may also find more space in the forward half as a consequence of being further up the ground, giving him the opportunity to work on pin pointing that long left peg.

Mason Wood:

Capable of the dynamic, will Wood be able to showcase his talents with regularity now that a spot in the 22 is his to lose? Quick, hard running, agile, strong hands, confident and skilled, there are two things missing from his game. Consistency and defensive application. If he can elevate his baseline offensive and defensive performances then the sky is the limit, and North look a very difficult prospect to contain in the forward half.

Post Boomer the path is open for a new hero and here is the guy with the package to be that player. 2017 could be the year of Wood.

Taylor Garner:

Last chance saloon for Tay Tay. A high impact player who scares the bejeezus out of the opposition with his manic attack on the ball and man, his ability to make s**t happen and his ability to play taller than he appears. We have all seen glimpses of real talent (that 10 minute burst in the 2nd quarter of the 2015 Elim final……….there was movement) but his paper hammies have really stifled his development. If the medics can manage to get him on the park for the majority of 2017 I reckon the sky is the limit for this kid and he makes our options in the forward half seriously dynamic.
Well said. Pretty much spot on. The only other guy I would throw in is Daw. He can do s**t nobody else on our list can do. He hurts people and is capable of the extraordinary. But like others, he needs to add consistency. But a potential match winner.

Shaun ATLEY

Got plenty of pace but wastes it with bad decisions and kicking. Must use his head and be more accountable. Should be doing much more damage to the opposition.

Majak DAW

Has been around the traps long enough now. Must stamp his authority on the game this year. Use the body he's blessed with more. Must be more consistent instead of just flashes of brilliance.

Ben BROWN

Been doing an OK job, but must present more now that Petrie's gone. Needs to hold his marks and kick the lion's share of the goals.

Jack ZIEBELL & Ben CUNNINGTON

These two are seriously talented players and must play to their abilities. Their performance last season was a little disappointing. North plays better when these two arte firing.

Jack Ziebell

Despite his limitations he had a good season in 2016, but I still believe there is plenty of scope for improvement. I think he needs to become a mid that does more damage with the ball from the middle as well as lift his disposal count. If he can elevate himself to where he should be, which is an AA/borderline AA standard midfielder then it will go a long way to making us a good team next season. A 25 disposal average and 30+ goal season is not beyond him and should be what he is aiming for next season.

His leadership will also be crucial. The loss of the veterans has the potential to cause something of a leadership vacuum next season so he really needs to step up and fill that void. As the player that will almost certainly be skipper next season he needs to make this team, and club, his own.

Shaun Atley

Simply put, he needs to get back to his 2012 form. Previously I thought it was a waste if he wasn't moved into the midfield, but now I don't care where he plays, I just simply want him to play good footy, which he hasn't done in ages.

Heading into his 7th year on the list and with 132 games under his belt he needs to take some responsibility for the performances of the team and his own form. His terrible decision making, lack of composure and kicking simply can't be accepted anymore and he, more than anyone, needs to take responsibility for that. We have an obvious speed deficiency so it will bee up to him to pick up some of that slack as an experienced player.

Despite everything, I actually still believe he could be a good player for us, but he needs to stop being disappointing and show it next season.

Luke McDonald

For all the reasons B Tron has already said.

Ben Brown

Has done his 'apprenticeship' and now needs to take on the role of number 1 key forward and forward line leader in the absence of Drew. Needs to learn how to deal with, and indeed thrive under, the presence of the oppositions best defender, because there will be plenty of that next season. If he can turn himself into a dominant big man with plenty of big grabs and 50+ goals then we will bee right in the hunt next season.

In what is going to be a year of significant transition for the North Melbourne Football club it is clear that the team needs players to stand up and make a name for themselves, to get over the losses of club stalwarts and to announce themselves as genuine talents of the competition. In this thread I would love to hear fellow supporters opinions on who are the four players (arbitrary but **** it) who they would love to see stand up and take this club forward, and why these are the guys to do so.

Imma start.

Jed Anderson:

Luke McDonald:

Ok, **** it. The bloke needs to get into the middle. Excellent size for a mid, runs hard, runs all day, hits hard, burns for the contest, quicker than average and a raking boot. I think he needs to be given the opportunity to show what he has got where the game is the hottest. For North to go forward we need to change up the rotations, and McDonald in there (along with Anderson) goes a fair way to addressing that.

Mason Wood:

Taylor Garner:

Love it BT but Tay Tay although would be frustrating if he were to go down.....he is too valuable to us knowing his best is too good just to give away. I direct you to R Tarrant as an example.

Agree with everyones thoughts on who should step up, but for me the top 5 (Five to stay alive ? BT)

- Wood - will be our match winner
- Atley- I've been saying this for 5 years but next year needs to be when he clicks, or he will be another player who shows everything but delivers the minimum.
- MacMillan - Disappointed in his final as I rate him as dependable and can change a game on his day. I want to see more game changing games from him.
- Dumont - I believe he with Clarke will add to our engine room next year.
- Higgins - most important player? When he plays well we usually win and missed him last year....class.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I worry about Garner.

Filthy mongrel dog campaigner prick on field with the worst body of all time. It concerns me that we may have already seen the best of him. We cannot have another first round failure.

Great thread!

Luke McDonald
Was tracking absolutely beautifully before his hamstring strain. He's competitive, he's working hard on every facet of his game. Luke wasn't drafted to be a solid citizen, he was drafted to be a future leader of the club and star. I know the comparison has been done to death, but Luke Hodge is your prototype my boy. But less of a pr!ck. I think LMac is ready to step up next year and become a core player off half back, and in the midfield.

Taylor Garner
It should have been this year - I truly believe if Garner had got a run at it this year we would have been a much better side. He's got it, he's ready, but those flipping hamstrings. If we can get a full season of Taylor up forwards, I think the footy world will be talking about this kid. Please! He's bloody strong, he's aggressive, he's a great overhead mark and he tackles like a charging bull. He is the unpredictable, athletic type we are crying out for. No reason he can't have a Robbie Tarrant style resurgence.

Trent Dumont
There's something about him - a bit more campaigner, a bit more arrogance than we have seen in most recent NMFC players. He should be a walk up start to the best 22 next year. Stuff tagging - maybe the odd defensive job but I want Trent to get the ball, then create. He seems to have great awareness in traffic, and can kick it AND handball it through congestion. He's a natural accumulator, good footy brain, time to let him have a bit of rope to play his own game. I think he's got the tools to be more than a second-string player.

Shaun Higgins
He's acted like a leader ever since he's got to the club. His absence from the side this year was a killer, an absolute killer. He obviously sets high standards off the field and on the track - he's a pro. Without Wells and Harvey, Higgo is going to be responsible for setting up a lot of attacks, and kicking goals himself. Seems like the type that wants the responsibility.

You could name all the players, but I think the first 3 listed are ready to step up, and have the aggression and the desire that our side needs to bottle. If these four players were fit and playing good footy this year, I reckon we would have gone a fair bit better. Next year, I think LMac and Trent are primed for a breakout. Garner and Higgins were ready, just held back by their bodies. When I think about the other players I could have listed, next year should be a great ride!

Dumont- to have the shackles released from tagging and have dusty type of a year.

Wood- to kick 50+ goals - 100+ marks and over 300 disposals

Lmac - has to start having an influence on games ala Luke hodge type where he just as good with or without the ball.

Cunners - needs to get back to his bnf level year. Think if he can get to dusty and Parker level we will have a great year. If he does that we will be inside the 8.

Higgins- was sorely missed this year and will need to get back to his best. Will be under a lot of pressure next year as he is our classiest player now. Needs to have a 30 goal/400 disposal season.

Ok I can't count :oops::D

Swallow - get his mojo back. Zeibell -keep his feet and kick goals, Ben Brown - throw his weight around, Majak Daw improved decision making and skill.

Wood- easily at the top of my list, match winner and capable of anything. With his ability and belief he is best 22 safer and continual improvement in his game he can play with even more confidence and show the footy world what he is capable of.

LMac- bleeds for the club needs to start influencing games more with a full pre season and injury free now it's his time to step up.

Anderson- Injured last year and low on confidence when he returned but hard at it. Alot of us supporters are scratching our heads about his basic football skills when he returned. Went to hard sometimes when it wasn't necessary and then panicked with his disposal but i still believe that will come with confidence and an injury free start to the year. Still like the way he goes about it and i hope he proves all the doubters wrong. He has a spot in the 22 here at North time to show it on the field.

Ben10- Now it's on him as one of the more experienced midfielders to turn up every week and not pick and choose when to show up.
When on he can turn a game quickly, of the more experienced players Ben10 needs to be on all the time.

Ooooh, like this thread.

1 - Wood
Of all our players he seems to contain the most untapped potential. Elite physical, incredible in the contest (statistically our best CP winner outside of the midfield), great in the air. Has it all, yet has had little opportunity to show it. Just cannot wait for this season.

2 - LMac
What a legend this guy is - no fear, so strong, and so young. Could be anything. Needs to have more confidence on goal, and we need to force this to happen.

3 - JMac
Can't say enough good things about him, good at everything and built for more than the backline. When he has the ball and is looking to goal, I feel as confident as I do with Higgins.

4 - All the young guys
All those 22 and under are where we look to improve the most, I love the new guys from the trade, and I particularly like EVW. He and Williams should slot into our backline to enable LMac to move up and replace Firrito. Williams for LMac if only because I think we could do with a traditional small defender instead of yet another utility.

1. Dumont - deserves that many more midfield minutes this year. Incredibly smart footballer with great finishing skills around goal. Similarly smooth mover to Cunners, not sure if he'll ever be the clearance Pig Cunners is but doesn't need to be. Skills by foot are probably now the best in our midfield.

2. Clarke - the running man. Hope he has a break out year and plays all 22 games. Love his game, seems as driven as anyone at the club and maybe all that limits him now is how much opportunity he gets.

3. Wood - he's the freak we've needed for so long. Disagree B Tron that he lacks a defensive game. That was the knock on him last year and he seemed to well and truly has worked on it, as many club sources have publicly attested. Amazing mark, huge tank, great below his knees, arrogant, can kick a goal from anywhere...so excited for his year.

4. Daw - Daw to the fore. It has occurred. Three year deal. Petrie got the boot. Daw is now our full forward with Brown leading out, Waite playing third tall and Wood up the ground. Gives us great flexibility as Brown can stay forward 100% of the time because it can look impossible for us to score sometimes when he's not forward (see the Dogs game when he went down early). What can Daw do with continuity? Who the * knows. Hope he kicks 40+ and the next chapter in his story is written.

Donald Trump
Explosive and unpredictable, he has an uncanny knack for turning the ordinary into the ridiculous. He loves the contest and even when he seems out of it, he will come up with the unexpected. His potential is scary, but his repeated brain fades are infuriating. He needs to pass the NDH test if he wants to make a difference.

Osama Bin Laden
Summa has been dead quiet over the last few seasons. We really miss his leadership in the field and his inspirational messages to fans. His leadership also brought much needed sponsorship dollars from Saudi Arabia, which I'm sure we'll also miss. Some of the young players have suffered career ending injuries while killing themselves to fill his shoes. I think he could surprise a few if he makes it back from the bottom of the ocean but, if not, I'd be keen for the club to look at father-son selections, as I think there is a lot of potential in his kids Bin Shootin', Bin Die'n, Bin Rantin' and Daryl.

Kim Kardashian
It's hard to understand KK's popularity, especially since she originally rose to prominence by being caught holding the ball on video replay. Nevertheless, KK does have dedicated supporters and you have to admire her work ethic. She's had to work extremely hard on her ball skills and has had a huge amount of work done on her body to get her where she is today. Personally, I think she needs to realise she's carrying far too much weight for the role she's trying to play. Certainly, she seems to be frequently buggered. She does bring in the ratings, but remains one of the most overpaid going around given her talent.

James Hird
Massive knob who can just GAGF.
EDIT: If given the chance, Jimmeh would inject something completely different into the team. He has his critics like KK, but his fans are even more dedicated than Summa's. Love him or hate him, his form in recent seasons has astonished everyone, although we all know that reports of his efforts are just rumours and probably lies. Certainly it has taken international lawyers years to understand the extent of his performance. While nearly everyone thinks he is supplementary to the requirements of AFL standards, it's quite hard to know for sure since the computer containing his statistics mysteriously exploded, vanished and then reappeared only to be blown up again during an unfortunate drive-by shooting at Stephen Dank's house. He'll no doubt make a Carey-like Lazarus career turnaround on TV, where Luke Arsey will ask him to "say that again" and then we'll all pretend he hasn't been a very naughty boy. In the meantime, we can all be grateful that his injection of off-field leadership was sufficient to propel *essendon to a wooden spoon.

Last edited:
No 1 is Jack. Has to take the captaincy by the scruff of the neck and impose himself on games. His best is game breaking elite, but he hasn't done it often enough. As captain he's got to do it all game every game and he will inspire this team to wins.

Next is Cunnington. His best is also elite, but doesn't show it enough. If Jack and Ben can stamp themselves as genuinely elite midfielders of the competition it will drag the rest of the midfield and team up with them.

Mason Wood. Is 23 now and with immense talent it is time for him to really step up and have a massive impact on games. Is capable of kicking bags of 5-6 goals and winning games off his own boot. With the right mental application he will do just that.

Luke McDonald. Potentially a future captain, so in his fourth year it's time to start having more of an impact. Thing I worry about most with him is will he be given an opportunity in the midfield? If Brad saw him moving into the midfield you'd think he'd have been given far more minutes in the middle than he has. Hope he hasn't been pigeonholed as a defender. He's been good down there, but would seem a waste and make it difficult for him to have the desired increased impact.

P.S. Great thread. :thumbsu:

Goldy: He dominates then we get an extra midfielder with great hands. Brings other players into the game.

Waite: If he plays like the first 9 rounds this year then our forward line will be tough to beat.

Wood: He could be our match winner, the joker in the pack.

Williams: Just to stick it to Bucks

Remove this Banner Ad

Back