murphy2bedabest

Norm Smith Medallist
Sep 11, 2003
On the final table-ALL IN
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Other Teams
Man U and Melbourne Storm
Inspired by our sons of the west program, I thought it might be a good idea to start a thread for any heath or fitness questions, goals, progress, ideas, shout outs for teams what ever.

if it is something as wanting to go for a kick of the footy, or the need for a sub for a sporting team, maybe even a workout buddy to keep motivated. post it here.

does't matter what it is, it will also make for more sociable board.

Gave up sugar and junk food on monday and currently still going strong.
Starting at 99kg hoping to be 80kg by June.
back at work in the vfl so running every night and basketball 4 times a week.

thats awesome, i gave up drinking coke and any sugar in drinks ie coffee teas about 18 months ago when i was 110kg im now 70 kg.

keep up the great work, one tip for people is to drink only water for a month and see how you go, you'll not only feel great and lose a few kgs but save a bit of cash at the same time.

You can do it mate.

Six years ago I dropped 25kg in three months from 100kg to 75k. Largely managed to keep it off (hovering between 83-85).

Careful calorie counting is the way to go. If you restrict it to 1200 a day you will lose weight quickly, no doubt about it. May I also suggest also removing milk from your diet. Pick food based on high weight to low calorie content.

Wow it's amazing how much you can lose just by changing your diet. I've a friend who went from 160kg to 80ish kg in just a couple of years. Most of the heavy weight loss came from cutting wheat/carbs(?) and sugar. He was paleo when he did it.

I've been feeling lethargic and down on energy for as long as I remember. I've been thinking doing some exercise/weight/gym but not sure where to start. Any pointers as what's best to raise these energy levels? I'll also aim to cut down on junk too.

Well done to all who have had a crack at developing healthier life styles. It's not easy to change.
One of the reasons that I have loved being a Bulldog supporter for nearly 50 years has been the supporters' commitment to the cause through thick and thin,
This commitment has been reflected back by the club to its community over recent years and the Suns of the West campaign best reflects just what means to "BeMoreBulldog" To understand more check this out from the Bulldog Website: http://www.westernbulldogs.com.au/video/2016-11-30/sons-of-the-west-documentary-man-to-man
Makes me Proud :thumbsu:

Inspired by our sons of the west program, I thought it might be a good idea to start a thread for any heath or fitness questions, goals, progress, ideas, shout outs for teams what ever.

if it is something as wanting to go for a kick of the footy, or the need for a sub for a sporting team, maybe even a workout buddy to keep motivated. post it here.

Great thread mate. Seems like there's some pretty inspiring stories out there.
I've been feeling lethargic and down on energy for as long as I remember. I've been thinking doing some exercise/weight/gym but not sure where to start. Any pointers as what's best to raise these energy levels? I'll also aim to cut down on junk too.
I'd recommend trying to find some sort of exercise that you enjoy (for me, that's ball sports, but I'm sure it's different for everyone). I feel like you'd get a better energy boost and it's easier to convince yourself to keep going with it when you're enjoying it.

Cutting down on junk is a great idea. Trying to work on a consistent sleep cycle is generally pretty helpful for lethargy too.

Great idea mate, I spent nearly 2 hours at the gym earlier tonight

Hopefully Mofra can post a thing or two here also

Wow it's amazing how much you can lose just by changing your diet. I've a friend who went from 160kg to 80ish kg in just a couple of years. Most of the heavy weight loss came from cutting wheat/carbs(?) and sugar. He was paleo when he did it.

bobby2 makes some good points

How's your general lifestyle? Are you working too much or down on motivation? I used to cook for a living and did long hours and about 7 years ago I felt lethargic all winter and didn't really feel good again until I had September holidays and cricket season started shortly afterwards also, so the boss giving me Saturdays off to play was great at the time.

I find once I start doing something I like (I like riding the bike and doing weights) I generally try and make a routine for it and try and keep it up.

Just making a start is probably the biggest hurdle though, I've battled injury since 2011/12 and it's very easy to neglect exercise and think you'll be ok etc, but this year has been a good one for me in regards to getting back on track.

With starting out exercising, I'd exercise when you feel the most upbeat or most relaxed, maybe on your day off perhaps?

I am a sales rep always on the road and toward the end of last year I was going through drive through like every single day, sometimes twice and my weight ballooned out to 95kg's (my now wife got me into gear by saying she wouldn't do the dirty with me if I got to 96!)

So I put a blanket ban on my 'big 4' Maccas, KFC, Hungry Jacks and Red Rooster. Said to myself you can eat anything just avoid these places. So driving around the first couple of weeks was tough but if I got the urge I even let myself stop somewhere else like a bakery for a pie or something but just avoid those chains. Now it's been 12 months and I have not touched one thing from these places. Now I generally take my lunch, get Subway or a pork roll, if I feel like a treat I'll even stop at a pub for a steak or Parma.

Without increasing my exercise levels at all my weight has dropped by 9kg in a year (literally just from not eating that convenient, drive through s**t!)

I still need to get fit now so looking forward to reading this thread for some motivation. I was a really good distance runner once but I cannot for the life of me get any momentum going again with it.

just an update, soon to be 3 weeks without junk food and soft drink
Currently at 96kg while also noticing my stomach has gone up, my hips have gone in.
All good signs

Walking is very underrated. It's a great lead in to running as well but it is great on its own. It's sometimes hard to get up and run etc but it's always easy to simply go for a walk for half an hour. Fantastic for your mental health and you will find you naturally want to walk further and faster over time.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I was talking to a housemate about him wanting to get fitter and have a better lifestyle.

I said to him to always remember that your current is someone else's goal.

Hopefully Mofra can post a thing or two here also
Well I do tend to be fairly active - gym x 4 times per week, cycle to and from work and normally slip a run in too (although 3 more weeks with no running due to a rolled ankle).

Plenty of information on the Health & Fitness board although it often ends up being a bit of a shitfight between vegans vs the Low Carb High Fat / Paleo crew.

My advice - forget a "perfect diet" or "perfect workout" and just focus on making small improvements that you can actually stick to.
The best diet or exercise routine in the world is absolutely pointless if you can't stick to it.
Be happy / proud of any improvement you make - no matter how small - because that's how we all start improving our health.

Well I do tend to be fairly active - gym x 4 times per week, cycle to and from work and normally slip a run in too (although 3 more weeks with no running due to a rolled ankle).

Plenty of information on the Health & Fitness board although it often ends up being a bit of a shitfight between vegans vs the Low Carb High Fat / Paleo crew.

My advice - forget a "perfect diet" or "perfect workout" and just focus on making small improvements that you can actually stick to.
The best diet or exercise routine in the world is absolutely pointless if you can't stick to it.
Be happy / proud of any improvement you make - no matter how small - because that's how we all start improving our health.

Ever done the 5/3/1 program from Wendler?

I live not far from the Whitten Oval. If anyone is into road cycling, I'm always happy to catch up for a ride with Werribee south being my preferred route

I've been cutting down a lot of junk. Eating more regularly and healthy atm. Sugary/soft drink is hard to kick. So I've looked through some suggestions. I think I'll be getting a gym membership in the new year or in Feb to train. Sorry, I'll be one of those annoying newbs. Looking to get into swimming as I heard it's great for your body. Low impact and all. Right now, I'm doing the Insanity routine. I've done the fit test and am into day 3. Body is aching like hell but feeling good.:thumbsu: Well I cheated as I'm doing half a video a day and finishing the day after. But at least I'm getting it done! :p

I've been cutting down a lot of junk. Eating more regularly and healthy atm. Sugary/soft drink is hard to kick. So I've looked through some suggestions. I think I'll be getting a gym membership in the new year or in Feb to train. Sorry, I'll be one of those annoying newbs. Looking to get into swimming as I heard it's great for your body. Low impact and all. Right now, I'm doing the Insanity routine. I've done the fit test and am into day 3. Body is aching like hell but feeling good.:thumbsu: Well I cheated as I'm doing half a video a day and finishing the day after. But at least I'm getting it done! :p

With the soft drink you should let yourself have it but only after you drink 500ml of water. Then increase this to a litre of water before allowing yourself soft drink. Slowly but surely you will find the soft drink becomes too sweet for you.

Personally i've been on a fitness tear for the past 3 months. The hardest part is the diet. I'm not a good cook but I am teaching myself to make the healthy basics. I've recently bought a power cage for home use as well to use with my housemates. Been putting on size and shape.

I'm huge.

bobby2 makes some good points

How's your general lifestyle? Are you working too much or down on motivation? I used to cook for a living and did long hours and about 7 years ago I felt lethargic all winter and didn't really feel good again until I had September holidays and cricket season started shortly afterwards also, so the boss giving me Saturdays off to play was great at the time.

I find once I start doing something I like (I like riding the bike and doing weights) I generally try and make a routine for it and try and keep it up.

Just making a start is probably the biggest hurdle though, I've battled injury since 2011/12 and it's very easy to neglect exercise and think you'll be ok etc, but this year has been a good one for me in regards to getting back on track.

With starting out exercising, I'd exercise when you feel the most upbeat or most relaxed, maybe on your day off perhaps?
Fossie Jnr used to be a cook ‍ too. Bit of a tough gig

I was hovering between 90-93kgs

Gave up soft drink completely (found Perrier flavoured water a great substitute), drink less alcohol and pretty much given up bread. I run 2-3 times a week approx for an hour, so around 11kms.

However I can't get my weight below 83kgs. I do drink a 'skinny latte' on a daily basis.

Would love to get under 80kgs.

With the soft drink you should let yourself have it but only after you drink 500ml of water. Then increase this to a litre of water before allowing yourself soft drink. Slowly but surely you will find the soft drink becomes too sweet for you.
Thanks. I'll try that.

I was hovering between 90-93kgs

Gave up soft drink completely (found Perrier flavoured water a great substitute), drink less alcohol and pretty much given up bread. I run 2-3 times a week approx for an hour, so around 11kms.

However I can't get my weight below 83kgs. I do drink a 'skinny latte' on a daily basis.

Would love to get under 80kgs.

How much sugar is in your flavoured water? If youre struggling to lose that last 3kgs you might need to start counting your calories.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back