Preview Pick your team for R1, 2017

Remove this Banner Ad

AFC senior list 2017, I wont include the rookie list.
I'll highlight in red the players I think are automatic selections, assuming everyone is fit and in form.

2 B Crouch 3 R Knight 4 Jenkins 5 Thommo 6 Lever 7 Gallucci 8 Kelly 9 Sloane 10 Wigg 11 Seedsman 12 Talia 13 Tex 14 MacKay 15 Hartigan 16 Brown 17 Hampton 18 Betts 21 Atkins 22 Otten 23 Cameron 24 Jacobs 25 Cheney 26 Douglas 27 Lynch 28 CEY 29 Laird 30 Milera 31 Poholke 32 Menzel 33 Smith 34 Himmelberg 35 Signorello 36 Gore 38 Dear 39 Doedee 40 Davis 41 McGovern 43 ROB 44 M Crouch

Thats 19 of the 22, I think that if Douglas and DMack have their normal good preseason they will be selected over younger players (it's the AFC MO) that's 21 of the 22.

This leaves IMO, Seed Hampton CEY Milera & Menzel to fight it out, obviously more of these to come in if Douglas and DMack are only selected in round 1 if they are smashing the door down.

unlike others I'm sitting on the fence with Hampton and Menzel until I see something
in pre season games to get me excited

Spluttering careers at this stage , there are plenty of guys on our list to get excited about as much as these guys
The reason posters are getting excited is because if they come off they will improve our team immensely.

At this stage it's built on hope but of the two I reckon Menzel is more of a chance. Get his fitness up to scratch and we know he has the talent.

Late last year despite supposedly having poor fitness he was working his arse off, his presssure acts and repeated efforts were good and he was covering a bit of ground.

Just need him to get some games in the preseason to show what he's capable of.

Last edited:

I'll highlight in red the players I think are automatic selections, assuming everyone is fit and in form.

2 B Crouch 3 R Knight 4 Jenkins 5 Thommo 6 Lever 7 Gallucci 8 Kelly 9 Sloane 10 Wigg 11 Seedsman 12 Talia 13 Tex 14 MacKay 15 Hartigan 16 Brown 17 Hampton 18 Betts 21 Atkins 22 Otten 23 Cameron 24 Jacobs 25 Cheney 26 Douglas 27 Lynch 28 CEY 29 Laird 30 Milera 31 Poholke 32 Menzel 33 Smith 34 Himmelberg 35 Signorello 36 Gore 38 Dear 39 Doedee 40 Davis 41 McGovern 43 ROB 44 M Crouch

Thats 19 of the 22, I think that if Douglas and DMack have their normal good preseason they will be selected over younger players (it's the AFC MO) that's 21 of the 22.

This leaves IMO, Seed Hampton CEY Milera & Menzel to fight it out, obviously more of these to come in if Douglas and DMack are only selected in round 1 if they are smashing the door down.
Going to be interesting.

I think Douglas will get picked but not Mackay. Going in with same side as last year would be pointless.

I think the last 2 will be between Milera, Seedsman, Hampton and Menzel. Will all come down to who plays well in the preaseason games. Having said that I think like last year Milera will get early games and we need to back him in.

I can also see Cheney under a bit of pressure if Doedee gets a run in his spot and performs well. They would be mad not to pursue that form and develop him in the first. He was picked early for a reason, they must rate him.

Going to be interesting.

I think Douglas will get picked but not Mackay. Going in with same side as last year would be pointless.

I think the last 2 will be between Milera, Seedsman, Hampton and Menzel. Will all come down to who plays well in the preaseason games. Having said that I think like last year Milera will get early games and we need to back him in.

I can also see Cheney under a bit of pressure if Doedee gets a run in his spot and performs well. They would be mad not to pursue that form and develop him in the first. He was picked early for a reason, they must rate him.

I think CEY is in the mix too, we have lost Lyons and Thommo from last years team, we might need his bigger body in the guts to help with our inside/outside mix.

Going to be interesting.

Cheney will also be under the gun as he has had a lingering injury issue over the off season and will be behind the pack due to this

Hence Doedee getting a run in his spot.
I feel like Doedee will start the year in Cheney's spot, before Cheney comes back for a while mid-season after Tom gets tired. After that, Doedee will come back into the side, again in Cheney's spot, after some very nice SANFL form.

I feel like Doedee will start the year in Cheney's spot, before Cheney comes back for a while mid-season after Tom gets tired. After that, Doedee will come back into the side, again in Cheney's spot, after some very nice SANFL form.
Is Otten the forgotten man?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Would have thought Otten would have been after Cheney and then Doedee ATS ?
Have a feeling Doedee will surprise many this season, sounds like he's hit the weights hard. Add that to the fact he experienced a similar curve to that of McGovern in 2015, and I reckon he'll get more games than most think.

My thoughts exactly, his goal sense and contested marking will make him a brilliant forward. Good thing is, he'll have the versatility to play as a KPF or as a 3rd tall, I reckon.

I doubt he'll end up just as a forward. I'm expecting a Brett Burton type role with more speed and the ability to win the ball in heavily contested situations.

Sounds like Doedee will play at close to 90kgs this season which is a much bigger body than he had last season . Apparently he's 87kgs now . He needed to add size

The reason posters are getting excited is because if they come off they will improve our team immensely.

At this stage it's built on hope but of the two I reckon Menzel is more of a chance. Get his fitness up to scratch and we know he has the talent.

Late last year despite supposedly having poor fitness he was working his arse off, his presssure acts and repeated efforts were good and he was covering a bit of ground.

Just need him to get some games in the preseason to show what he's capable of.
I get that his potential is great as is hampton's but it's time to deliver it on game days consistently

What I like about us, is that if we have, outside our best 22 (as indicated by you), a team that would probably give the bottom teams like Bris a run for its money.

I'll go player by player (and see if you think it would have enough matchups to push Bris)
Thommo - former top line midfielder, still capable of being top level quality on his day
Gallucci - Has good top speed, acceleration and skill. Adelaide dont too often muck up their first pick, capable of playing up to a dozen games
Kelly - Tall backline player, previously got games and didn't look out of place, good in the air, great tackler, great running power, main weakness has been kicking which has improved but probably has a tiny bit of work to go
Wigg - Solid junior, playing in the midfield well enough in SANFL that deserves a run in the 1's
Seedsman - Enigmatic half back, superb kicking skill, good defensive mindset, chases and tackles well, needs to work on offensive side, needs to get more of it
Mackay - Experienced wingman, good tank, reasonable pace, reasonable skills, really should get a bit more of it, could do with some more strength to take people down in tackles and handle being tackled.
Hampton - Fast and skilled utility. Can play tall or small. Has previously performed at a high level in AFL.
Otten - Former rising star runner up. Very good player at his best, good tank, tho not the fastest or most agile. Kicking skill below average, but makes up for it with superb marking and spoiling, body on body and handballing skills plus being a calm and superb decision maker. Utility player.
Douglas - Experienced mid / half forward that can be assigned to control a player. Decent tank, good kicking skill, ok hands, decent speed. Not an A grader I don't think but an extremely dependable B grader.
CEY - Tall and athletic mid. Decent tank. Has shown previously that he can be a solid midfielder that can also get goals. Starved of opportunity thus far.
Milera - Fast and extremely skilled and poised second year mid / wingman. Can get forward and get a goal too.
Poholke - First year player with a body built to play AFL already. Not sure about a lot of other attributes such as tank etc and whether theyre adequate to play this season.
Menzel - Fast and extremely skilled forward. Has played AFL level already and has shown that has more than enough skill to play, main question is over the tank.
Himmelberg - future KPP
Signorello - future mid
Gore - fast nuggety little mid, gets plenty of it when playing genuine midfield in SANFL. Question over size of tank. Also, not sure about his conditioning, seemed to die a bit at the end of last year. Skills are ok.
Dear - Fast, solid key forward. Good footy brain. Adequate skills. Started to show some form in SANFL last year with occaisional 3-4 goal performances, needs to make those games more common and get the odd 5-6 goal game to demonstrate he's at a level adequate for AFL.
Doedee - Second year first rounder. Athletic, calm and clever, with a good defensive mindset.
Davis - Future mid or HFF/HBF
ROB - Ruckman, got some AFL games last year and slotted in like a player with 70 games of experience.

^This is not a great unit to give Bris a push as it lacks a bit of KPP and solid bodies and experience. But if we can use the rookie list and add Keath as a key defender, Hunter as a ruck forward, Beech as a experience and solid bodied mid or utility and Greenwood as a bigger bodied, fast, agile mid then we're getting into the range.

We get something like

Gore Keath Doedee
Seedsman Otten Kelly
Mackay Thommo Milera
Douglas Hunter Hampton
Menzel Dear Beech

ROB, CEY, Wigg, Greenwood

Gallucci, Poholke, Himmelberg, Signorello

apparently Otten has been impressing on the track and they think he's back close to his best which will make it interesting

Can't really see a role for him unless Lever or Hartigan go down though

It's hard to see where he fits without one of the 3 tall defenders going down. But he's a guy that, if selected, I'm confident will do his job. I won't complain that he's been recalled as I did with VB last year. But I'd prefer Doedee get a crack, form permitting.

We shall see but to me he's a natural forward capable of kicking 50 goals a season +
I think he is too similar to Tex as a key forward and it makes us have one too many forwards

He may not be a true midfielder, but he could be a mobile bigman in the Nick/Jack Riewoldt, Pavlich, Goodes, or even Chad Cornes mould.

I personally think for us to take the next step it will be on the back of either Lynch or McGovern dominating in this role.

Sent from my HTC_0P6B6 using Tapatalk

I think he is too similar to Tex as a key forward and it makes us have one too many forwards

He may not be a true midfielder, but he could be a mobile bigman in the Nick/Jack Riewoldt, Pavlich, Goodes, or even Chad Cornes mould.

I personally think for us to take the next step it will be on the back of either Lynch or McGovern dominating in this role.

Sent from my HTC_0P6B6 using Tapatalk
I see him different to Tex in that his biggest asset to us is making contests aerially in big packs . He will start holding some mark of year contenders at some stage too

If Jenkins was better at this then I'd say yep move him up ground , but I like his ability to cause a spillage deep in attack especially if they have a plus 1 due to us having an extra defender at other end

Remove this Banner Ad

Back