Recruiting Trade/Draft Talk III - Zaharakis for a SIG BET?

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
They need success now so that they can get kids to follow them and play footy so that in 15 years those kids are at a draftable age and it can flow from there. They aren't going to produce local talent until that happens.

The AFL in planning this team never expected a huge fan base and locally grown stars in 5 years they always planned it too take 15-20 years.

Serious question, do you think success has anything to do with it?

I doubt it does anything more than for the short term (i.e. the coming season). If it is so fickle that they'll only ever have a fan base as long as they are at the top then what is the point? Do we just wait 30 years or 40 years? How many premierships do we have to feed them?

They're pretty good. Don't need a superstar

You need combative and high work rate players who take their chances, neither are. Wouldn't be surprised if they try to develop Cox up forward though.

Last edited:
You need combative and high work rate players who take their chances, neither are. Wouldn't be surprised if they try to develop Cox up forward though.
Yeah, that's probably true. Bell really provides that for them.

Cause thats happened with equalisation in the past 4 years?
Bulldogs had missed several years of finals before last year and just won a flag. Hawthorn are looking down. Melbourne look ready for finals football. It's happening.

Bulldogs had missed several years of finals before last year and just won a flag. Hawthorn are looking down. Melbourne look ready for finals football. It's happening.

I was talking in regards to top teams who continually utilise trades/free agency to boost finals appearances.

Top teams who use it will continue to play final

Nah the boys are great and they have 2 other Bigfooty posters making content aswell who know their stuff

Feeling the love jmoo you where always my favourite poster ;)
40789396.jpg

Yeah McCluggage, Taranto and Setterfield were my top 3. But having McGrath and Taranto is even better ;)

I think we have one more year of hitting the draft with a first rounder or two, before starting to use them to lure young talents from GWS. Or maybe one from the 4 GC draftees

Trading is essential when building a premiership list

Seriously
One preseason game.
McGrath was terrific and composed.
Have a look at baguley who looked like he lost some speed last year and nothing dispelled this thought last week and fumbles gleeson who is adept at dropping marks, going to ground and looking generally unsteady. A reliable small back who can provide run is invaluable this year and a position we are really weak in.

Just a short list of guys capable of playing key position or ruck

Fogarty
Ballenden
Brander
Hayes
Coleman-Jones
Clavarino
Krueger
Taylor
Henness
De Koning
Balta
Wooler
Naughton
Pascoe
McLean
Richards
Morisby

All these guys are top 40 prospects and those guys are just of the top of my head. I'm 100% certain of us getting a key forward better than any from last year at our first pick wherever that comes in
A bit of realism is required here though.
Some of these players are academy players who we will not have access to.
Some are key defenders which are not a major need and some are the dreaded ruck/ forward players who have boom or bust written all over them.
Fogarty is exciting but more a tall mid in the bontempelli or fife mould.

Seriously
One preseason game.
Have a look at baguley who looked like he lost some speed last year and nothing dispelled this thought last week and fumbles gleeson who is adept at dropping marks, going to ground and looking generally unsteady. A reliable small back who can provide run is invaluable this year and a position we are really weak in.
Gleeson was a lot better than McGrath.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Gleeson was a lot better than McGrath.
Watch the game again.
Two fumbles in the air cost two goals.
50 game player with questionable poise and very jittery one on one.
He is a poor mans jasper pittard.
I just don't think he will develop anymore but I hope I am wrong.

On throwing money at players surely Dylan Sheil would be getting a sizeable offer from us? With the end near for Watson, Goddard and Stanton he seems like a great fit. I see potential in a forward line of Daniher hooker a marking third tall like redm an, Francis, Laverde or Langford and smalls like colyer fantasia green and tippa.
I reckon our midfield is below par and small and mid defenders vulnerable.

Patton would be the most get able out of that group imo. Would be wrapped with any of those though.
I hope so because I feel the addition of Patton could improve our team structure immensely.

2018 like

Baguley Hartley Hurley
McGrath Hooker Goddard
Zaharakis Heppell Parish
Colyer Daniher Fantasia
Tippa Patton Francis
Leuenberger Watson Zerrett
Myers Langford Laverde Redman
Emg: Fyfe, D.Martin, Roc

As much as I'd love Patton, he'll be signing with GWS shortly.

FOJ1 is right - Shiel is the best fit of all the suggested midfielders - He is fairly much correct about Gleeson - Should never have dropped those two intercept marks, though I am more bullish about Gleeson.

A bit of realism is required here though.
Some of these players are academy players who we will not have access to.
Some are key defenders which are not a major need and some are the dreaded ruck/ forward players who have boom or bust written all over them.
Fogarty is exciting but more a tall mid in the bontempelli or fife mould.
Not sure what your point is here mate I just listed guys that can play key position and ruck I never said all of those guys are good I wasn't giving a list of who we should go after was more giving and indication of the quality of tall players compared to last year

Fogarty is capable at playing key position but I see him as the next Fyfe type of player he is my clear number 1 at this stage

Seriously
One preseason game.
Where did I say that he wasn't? I just mentioned who I rated as the best in the draft before the draft.

McGrath looks like he will be really good for us along side Merrett and Parish. Very quick hands.

And Gleeson was very impressive.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back