Are Geelong making a mistake in giving Chris Scott a new contract extension?

Remove this Banner Ad

No one inherits a flag they are bloody hard to get. You may inherit a great team at a well functioning club but you have to combine those things and get the best out of them. You have to have a good game plan and have the skill to put it into effect. You have to be able to counter other good game plans on the with research and on the fly. You also need some luck.
There are so many elements that go into a premiership that I think it diminishes the achievement to say that someone inherited it.

Has runs on the board (clearly!) Cats are making bold decisions with list management. Don't know if it will pay off but if it does he'll be seen as an all time great at the club.

This thread is a bit silly. It's actually pretty amazing they are still consistently playing finals year after year

AND
I
HATE
THE
CATS
!

His finals record since 2011 isn't great;

2012 - Freo L
2013 - Freo L
2013 - Port W
2013 - Hawthorn L
2014 - Hawthorn L
2014 - North L
2016 - Hawthorn W
2016 - Sydney L

2 wins, 6 losses.

They haven't really been a premiership threat despite a few high finishes.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The OP has been on the Geelong Board bagging Scott for daring to question the WB players use of suspect looking "handballs", something Luke Beveridge has even admitted they got away with.

Also ask yourself this is their something better out there for Geelong to go after, I would argue no they would have to sign an unproven coach.

This is it for me.

I don't particularly rate him, but Geelong would want to have an idea of who else they wanted in the role, and why, before they started the process of moving him on.

I would pick Caracella.
He's yours.

All his experience is an assistant coach. Never coached a team in his own right. Prefer to let someone else give him head coaching experience.

Last time I looked CS had the best win/loss record of any AFL head coach. Over 70% as I recall.

Geelongs have 8 players remaining from their 2011 premiership team, and that's counting Bartel and Enright. Still consistently makes finals. No idea why people still continue to question him; when 2 thirds of the team are from under that coach and still makes top 4 surely the coach must be doing something right.

Chris Scott's results have been great so there's no reason for Geelong not to resign him. A footy club doesn't need premierships to be successful and Geelong are doing great off the field and Chris Scott just needs to keep the fans interested and excited whilst not pushing for a flag.

No.

Getting a new coach typically means you are rebuilding which we are not doing. I am all for a 2 year extension, but I wouldn't give any longer than that. You would want to see some GF success (or close to) in those 2 years and then give a larger extension.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back