Preview Changes: Round 3 v Port Adelaide

Remove this Banner Ad

It's interesting that no one really has Dear as a possible in, he's the like for like with Jenkins.

It worries me having a makeshift ruck against Port, what's Dears rucking like?

This is his third year right? He should be ready to play when needed.

I'd go with Dear, big bloke that has a red hot go on the deck and in the air. I don't like the idea of going in without a backup who can at least break even. If Sauce goes down early we might as well pack up and go home. Problem is that it would result in a tough decision in terms of bringing in Lever. With that as one of the factors, I reckon they'll go with Otto playing forward and covering ruck contests down there and perhaps Harto and Tails covering a few in defence. I suppose knowing the ruck contest is lost leads to less damage than losing it when you're geared to win it.

Which is why using injuries as a guide works well. Removes all subjective grey area.

I think basic knowledge of physics and seeing a 90+kg guy descending with a significant amount of his mass and the force being transferred through a very narrow area like an elbow into a mans face should clear up a lot of gray.

With barely a modicum of force, hence no injury. Which is why it is good that it gets treated far, far, far more leniently than Lewis' actions.
Dunno, looking at the footage, I reckon Thompson whacked danger a lot harder than Lewis did to Cripps.

Outcomes were different, due to luck and where the contact was on the head.

Dunno, looking at the footage, I reckon Thompson whacked danger a lot harder than Lewis did to Cripps.

Outcomes were different, due to luck and where the contact was on the head.
You are absolutely kidding yourself

Ok.

Under my system there would be levels of penalties guided by the injury they cause. Thinking out loud:

Eg if the player continues to play without interruption then there cannot be any games given.

Player is out of the game - winded, receiving treatment onfield etc - 0 to 1 games (if guilty)

Player forced to leave the field but continues the game - 1 to 2 games

Player forced to leave the field and unable to continue - 2 to 3 games

Player will be out of the game for a period of time - x weeks, depending on severity
yeah but if you ignore intent you're basically saying an errant/head-high bump deserves to carry the same penalty as a punch off the ball.

one is an accident that's occurred in the spirit of the game and the other is a snipe and uncalled for. They have to carry different base penalties, then you can add whatever you want afterwards depending on the severity of any injuries.

I think basic knowledge of physics and seeing a 90+kg guy descending with a significant amount of his mass and the force being transferred through a very narrow area like an elbow into a mans face should clear up a lot of gray.
I think if you'd done any physics you'd find it easier to understand why Cripps got injured and Dangerfield didn't.

yeah but if you ignore intent you're basically saying an errant/head-high bump deserves to carry the same penalty as a punch off the ball.

one is an accident that's occurred in the spirit of the game and the other is a snipe and uncalled for. They have to carry different base penalties, then you can add whatever you want afterwards depending on the severity of any injuries.
Head high bumps aren't in the spirit of the game anymore

Sure, I could stomach an increased loading for a Hall/Staker incident but these would be 1 in a 1000 cases.

The rest are football stuff - bumps, spoils, tackles, wrestles, jumper push n shoves, stray arms/elbows in a contest etc

like Vader has said, that was with an extended bench and a very different story.

I think ROB's OOTF shank from 20m out is a pretty good example of why he and Jacobs can't play together. If either could kick a little more like Cox could I'd be more open to it but they just can't.

I know its perhaps a bit unfair to single out the worst kick of his entire career, but his kicking ability is definitely flaky in all areas of the ground.

I thought Sauce was bloody good by foot on Saturday.

I think if you'd done any physics you'd find it easier to understand why Cripps got injured and Dangerfield didn't.

Cripps got injured because the blow was able to be directed better.

The force that struck Dangerfield was larger and it was just chance as to if it hit an area to do huge damage or not.

Player shouldn't be rewarded for being lucky not to injure another player. They should be punished for intentionally doing things that could injure a player.

It's the same thing with Buddy getting Talia in a headlock a few years back. Talia wasn't injured so Buddy didn't get punished, but if the dice roll had come down a bit different Talia would have had a broken neck.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I thought Sauce was bloody good by foot on Saturday.
he was finding some touch again with his field kicking for sure, but that comment is kind of coming from one horrible miss on goal and the fact that to play both of them they both need to be able to spend time up forward - and convert.

Surely we wouldn't play Jenkins this week. He'd be copping bumps to his ribs before the warm-ups had even completed! :D

You need to be pretty brave just to sneeze with bruised ribs, only a very small % of players could play with them and be decent. JJ is not among that group.

Cripps got injured because the blow was able to be directed better.

The force that struck Dangerfield was larger and it was just chance as to if it hit an area to do huge damage or not.

Player shouldn't be rewarded for being lucky not to injure another player. They should be punished for intentionally doing things that could injure a player.
The force was much, much lower.

F=ma

You need to be pretty brave just to sneeze with bruised ribs, only a very small % of players could play with them and be decent. JJ is not among that group.
Surely to goodness we learned in the semi final that Jenkins cannot play while sore.

It would almost be a waste of a season (2016) if he played. Would show that we learned absolutely nothing.

Having said that, I do wonder if Jenkins was just winded and nothing more but hadn't experienced this before and panicked.

Head high bumps aren't in the spirit of the game anymore

Sure, I could stomach an increased loading for a Hall/Staker incident but these would be 1 in a 1000 cases.

The rest are football stuff - bumps, spoils, tackles, wrestles, jumper push n shoves, stray arms/elbows in a contest etc
you're trying to obscure some truth here, bumps are very much still in the spirit of the game, its just head high bumps that are illegal.

you go for one at the risk of the other, its perfectly acceptable to make the attempt. When is it acceptable to punch someone off the ball? Never, its just a dirty act to try and slow your opponent down for the rest of the day and a $1000 fine is a small price to pay for that advantage when we're talking about trying to win games of football.

Surely to goodness we learned in the semi final that Jenkins cannot play while sore.

It would almost be a waste of a season (2016) if he played. Would show that we learned absolutely nothing.

Having said that, I do wonder if Jenkins was just winded and nothing more but hadn't experienced this before and panicked.

Perhaps the panic brought on a case of what was dormant asthma. Seriously though, it was odd. Normally to be winded like that it's a power, gross type collision whereas that was more a sharp impact which you'd think had cracked a rib and punctured a lung the way he was distressed. Have never seen anything like it.

Perhaps the panic brought on a case of what was dormant asthma. Seriously though, it was odd. Normally to be winded like that it's a power, gross type collision whereas that was more a sharp impact which you'd think had cracked a rib and punctured a lung the way he was distressed. Have never seen anything like it.
Given his reaction, I can certainly understand the medicos rushing him off to hospital. I'm not sure they will next time though.

you're trying to obscure some truth here, bumps are very much still in the spirit of the game, its just head high bumps that are illegal.

you go for one at the risk of the other, its perfectly acceptable to make the attempt. When is it acceptable to punch someone off the ball? Never, its just a dirty act to try and slow your opponent down for the rest of the day and a $1000 fine is a small price to pay for that advantage when we're talking about trying to win games of football.
Under my system (above) any gut punches that wind your opponent you'd be up for a game which I think would stamp it out. Apart from grand finals I guess

Remove this Banner Ad

Back