Preview Changes: R20 Showdown vs Port Adelaide

Remove this Banner Ad

We've actually picked an older team than Port for tomorrow. Average age of 25 years, 6 months compared to 24 years, 11 months.

So the second youngest team excuse that the usual suspects like to roll out won't be valid.

Partly true but average age can be skewed.

We have more players at the start and at the end, they have more in the middle.

Possible, but I suspect not. There's a chance this is Sloane's last year but I think he'll be around in some capacity next year. He's clearly set the scene for wanting another year and he's also played every game so he's not exactly in a Matt Crouch situation. And I can't see Smith going anywhere next year unless there's a serious injury or downturn in form. There's other list spots of players who aren't getting first team football that they can free up this year if needed.

My guess would be Sloane's last year is 2024, Walker and Smith's are both 2025. Laird who knows, he's contracted to 2026 so at least then. But that's our full complement of veteran players, the club isn't going to be desperate to cut them given that's the complete list.
I hope we don't give Sloane the thommo extra year. The problem I have with it is that they will play Sloane all year in the SANFL in the middle when we should be playing youth in the middle. Anyway the player should see the writing on the wall and do the right thing but they aren't all Goodwin, Riccuoto, McLeod, Edwards.

I couldnt give a fxxk if crouch got 50 posessions, 10 clearances, 15 goal assists and kicked 5 goals in some freakish one off best game of his life..

He still should not be fxxkn playing this week..

He shouldve come in last week to cover Laird and gone out the second Laird returned.

Then been delisted at seasons end.

Now.. we’ll play him every game for the rest of the season and sign him up for another year.

And he will continue to be the same unflushable, list clogging garbage he has been for a few years now..

The fact that you defend this s**t shows how poor your football judgement is.
4fe8a662c0a686033271195e575286e1.gif

I couldnt give a fxxk if crouch got 50 posessions, 10 clearances, 15 goal assists and kicked 5 goals in some freakish one off best game of his life..

He still should not be fxxkn playing this week..

He shouldve come in last week to cover Laird and gone out the second Laird returned.

Then been delisted at seasons end.

Now.. we’ll play him every game for the rest of the season and sign him up for another year.

And he will continue to be the same unflushable, list clogging garbage he has been for a few years now..

The fact that you defend this s**t shows how poor your football judgement is.
Oh dear..

I really don't .....my views on Crouch go back 3 years, a full year B4 I advocated he be traded over Brad

My views on Sloane are also well documented ....but I also advocated last year, his days in the midfield are over

Now, that said .....we are correctly trying to win games ....it is critical to the messaging from Nicks, that the players believe that too
After 4 years .....it's selection on merit, building connectivity & chemistry within the team ......that's far more valuable than experimenting .....and that's what some want

Remember, we viewed Cook on stats, and a few nice things with ball in hand ......I really don't think many from their lounge chair, can view his defensive efforts & positioning

I still agree, if we had to play Crouch, Sloane had to be "managed" and act as the Sub ....but I'm happy with the balance of the side, given our injuries / suspensions
Thank God we didn't give up the season, and start experimenting with players ..... "to have a look at them"

Winning games is the best way to develop players ......how much do people think, Nankervis, Michaelanney, Soligo and Keane learn't tonight ?

And please .....WTF will remember in 3 years time, whether Nankervis started his AFL career in R19 or R15 ......it makes zero difference in the big picture

Go Crows !

Happy WW19 Bohemian Rhapsody.gif

Thank God we didn't give up the season, and start experimenting with players ..... "to have a look at them"

Winning games is the best way to develop players ......how much do people think, Nankervis, Michaelanney, Soligo and Keane learn't tonight ?

What a silly comment. 50% of the players you mentioned are only in because of injury / sickness. Its not like our coaching staff prioritized them and gave them a chance to succeed.

How do you expect players to develop if you don't bring them into AFL football.

What was gained by giving by Rowe 17 games and delisting him in a non finals year? Ben Davis 5 games in a non finals year and delisting. If Crouch leaves at the end of the year and we don't make finals - isn't that a waste of 20 games??? What about Worrell - wouldn't we be better if he had another 10 games experience right now?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

What a silly comment. 50% of the players you mentioned are only in because of injury / sickness. Its not like our coaching staff prioritized them and gave them a chance to succeed.
Doesn't matter how a player gets selected .....a lot of the time, it's luck & timing

The important thing is, providing the right environment for a player to develop .....and games like we've played this year, Win or Lose .....is great for development

No, we didn't prioritise Nankervis, or Worrell .....they had to fight to get the opportunity, rather than be gifted .....that approach hasn't hindered their development .....and in 2 years we all forget the circumstances behind a players first game

How do you expect players to develop if you don't bring them into AFL football.
People say this a lot on this board but I don't think it makes any sense. Players develop all the time without playing AFL football. At a certain point you want to expose them to the highest level, sure, but it's not the only way they get better.

Imagine saying this in another sport. Players don't develop in the Sheffield Shield so you have to pick them in the test side if you think they might be good, otherwise you'll never know. It's plainly nonsense, and basically every player is a counter argument.

Doesn't matter how a player gets selected .....a lot of the time, it's luck & timing

This is wrong.

Was Michaelanney luck or timing? Nope - we identified him as a talent and played him round 1 as a rookie.

What about Soligo / Rachele - Same thing we identified them early and prioritized them above established players round.

Worrell / Nankervis we didn't. We only selected them once an injury occurred. Thats an error based on what they have produced so far at AFL level.

The important thing is, providing the right environment for a player to develop .....and games like we've played this year, Win or Lose .....is great for development

Yes it is. Which is why we should prioritize giving young stars we think have a future games.

No, we didn't prioritise Nankervis, or Worrell .....they had to fight to get the opportunity, rather than be gifted .....that approach hasn't hindered their development .....and in 2 years we all forget the circumstances behind a players first game

So were Rachele, Soligo, Max gifted games?

And no - in two years we won't forget.

People say this a lot on this board but I don't think it makes any sense. Players develop all the time without playing AFL football. At a certain point you want to expose them to the highest level, sure, but it's not the only way they get better.

They can develop, but the biggest development comes from actual AFL football. Dominating at lower leagues can be done by players who can't cut the mustard at AFL level.

Imagine saying this in another sport. Players don't develop in the Sheffield Shield so you have to pick them in the test side if you think they might be good, otherwise you'll never know. It's plainly nonsense, and basically every player is a counter argument.

Comparing Australian test match cricket selection 11 players out of an entire country is idiotic at best.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back