Preview Changes: Round 3 v Port Adelaide

Remove this Banner Ad

The force was much, much lower.

F=ma

I don't know if you realise it but the upper arm/elbow is controlled by upperback muscles - potentially much stronger than the triceps/biceps that control the forearm/fist. People generally do not understand how elbow strikes can be much more destructive than fist strikes. They really, really should clamp down really hard on elbow strikes.

That North player is really lucky he didn't serious damage to our ol'mate.

I'll debate it.
Port have four legitimate big men they can throw at Sauce all day.
Ryder,Dixon,Westhoff and Trengove. If Sauce beats one or even two they can change things up and keep working him over. Sauce might be up to it as it is only the third round but what if Sauce is getting beaten, we can't do the same thing?Remember the game in Sydney when Sauce was worn out, couldn't jump and was in truth a liability. We had no one to turn too....no one! (JJ was injured, a stupid selection.)

Sauce's last game against Hawthorn was great and his work around the ground was a large part to why we won.
Just for a moment consider he doesn't have that same ascendency, who is the change up... Otten? ( JJ is not playing!)A guy who was thrown into the deep end and pinched hit for a few minutes... Ryder will school him in ruck.

The season goes for 22 rounds, are we going to make the same mistake and play one legitimate ruck man all year. A fresh Jacob's is great but rucking him against a multitude of opponents isn't the best way to preserve his health or keep him fresh.
The other factor is O'Brien, he needs to get some game time at AFL level. A player normally needs 50 games to begin to get comfortable and know the structures, team mates strengths and weaknesses, tendencies and pace of the game. We need to be putting consecutive game time into the guy who is our only other legitimate ruck man if Jacob's goes down.
The showdown is one game, we need to be planning our structure and list management of players with the finals in mind.
Give Jacob's a more limited percentage of game time, if O'Brien isn't cutting the mustard then readjust and bring Jacob on.
O'Brien can take a mark and is capable of running with a ruckman, filling a hole or camping in the forward line for short bursts. His presence will be felt.

Horses for courses...the Showdown is the perfect game to play O'Brien because Port does have those four talls. Yes they run with speed and have a nippy midfield and forward line but those talls aren't their runners.
We match up well even if O'Brien plays; Lever can come in for Kelly and Ottens stays in for JJ.
Winning the game is crucial but so to is looking towards the season's end. We need to keep Jacob's fresh and healthy and we need to keep blooding young players so when they are called on unexpectedly they have had a taste so not to be overawed.
Ryder - Jacobs can handle.
Dixon - can't ruck with a dodgy ankle.
Westoff - Otten has done a number on him before.
Trengove - Otten can handle too.

It's not like the Power have a really tall Sandilands or Gawn for us to go up against.

Quantity doesn't mean quality.

Looking at Port's forwards:

Talia -> Dixon
Hartigan -> Westhoff
Lever -> Eddy (shouldn't have a whole heap of influence, allowing Lever to roam free a bit more)
Young -> Smith
Brown -> Wingard
Laird -> Impey (see Lever, should be able to roam a fair bit)

Who plays on Gray when he's forward?

How good is it having Otten in again? He's such a smart footballer to have out there.
I'd think that if he was never injured he'd probably be in our leadership group. Think he did well when sent forward, he played his role and made us way more unpredictable in the second half.
Good coaching again, Pyke knows his s**t.
His set shot kicking routine has improved significantly as well. I remember when he last went forward and the ball almost missed his foot when having set shots.

Looking at Port's forwards:

Talia -> Dixon
Hartigan -> Westhoff
Lever -> Eddy (shouldn't have a whole heap of influence, allowing Lever to roam free a bit more)
Young -> Smith
Brown -> Wingard
Laird -> Impey (see Lever, should be able to roam a fair bit)

Who plays on Gray when he's forward?
Laird & Brown to take Gray & Wingard if they are both forward.

Port won't be playing 7 forwards at once & we have the defenders to adjust.

Also, if Westoff plays off a wing, we can use Otten on him.

Some of our mids can relieve off a hbf when the the smaller defenders need a break.

I don't know if you realise it but the upper arm/elbow is controlled by upperback muscles - potentially much stronger than the triceps/biceps that control the forearm/fist. People generally do not understand how elbow strikes can be much more destructive than fist strikes. They really, really should clamp down really hard on elbow strikes.

That North player is really lucky he didn't serious damage to our ol'mate.
Have people actually watched these incidents?

An elbow pressed down on Dangerfield is going to do far, far less damage than a punch. Can't believe this has become a debate.

Yeah, a swinging elbow with SPEED would certainly do some damage too, which this wasn't.

Having said that, I do wonder if Jenkins was just winded and nothing more but hadn't experienced this before and panicked.

Tex said it was the MCG doctor not the club doctor that sent JJ to hospital, they were concerned he had split his spleen which would be life threatening. He had shoulder pain which is apparently a symptom of having a split spleen.

Tex said it was the MCG doctor not the club doctor that sent JJ to hospital, they were concerned he had split his spleen which would be life threatening. He had shoulder pain which is apparently a symptom of having a split spleen.
Not sure why which doctor made the call is significant?

I'm sure given Jenkins reaction that they thought he had suffered a severe injury.

Have people actually watched these incidents?

An elbow pressed down on Dangerfield is going to do far, far less damage than a punch. Can't believe this has become a debate.

Yeah, a swinging elbow with SPEED would certainly do some damage too, which this wasn't.

No it was a solid Forearm and Dangerfield was Lucky he did not suffer more damage, I have seen broken jaws and smashed cheekbones with a similar forearm stikes, You should watch some MMA they call that a forearm strike. To me the only thing that saves Dangerfield was He roll his head with the blow and Thompson did not turn his thumb down at the last minute along with tensing the muscles giving the forearm a bit of Padding. Both these actions allow one of the hardest bones (Ulna) in the body to make contact with the jaw when you tense the muscle forms padding in front of the Bone,
Lot of people believe you use the point of the elbow to strike when in reality it the forearm that is used to strike.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

No it was a solid Forearm and Dangerfield was Lucky he did not suffer more damage, I have seen broken jaws and smashed cheekbones with a similar forearm stikes, You should watch some MMA they call that a forearm strike. To me the only thing that saves Dangerfield was He roll his head with the blow and Thompson did not turn his thumb down at the last minute along with tensing the muscles giving the forearm a bit of Padding. Both these actions allow one of the hardest bones (Ulna) in the body to make contact with the jaw when you tense the muscle forms padding in front of the Bone,
Lot of people believe you use the point of the elbow to strike when in reality it the forearm that is used to strike.
It wasn't a strike. There was no speed, his arm wasn't swinging. Minimal force. Absolutely nothing like MMA geez.

It was a cheapie.

22 pages with selection 3 days away.

Personally I wouldn't play Josh, we've seen his inability to play under duress so it's not worth it even if he's 80%. That's nothing against him, he just can't do it.

I'm leaning toward Lever and Menzel in but I have this nagging feeling Kelly won't be dropped. He should be, but I reckon the coaches will like a pure shut down defender on their small/mid forwards.

Will be interesting to see, maybe we pull a massive surprise and throw Harry Dear into the mix.

You did watch the hit Dangerfield was rattled, he felt it. Thompson was Lucky it was Dangerfield who is hard as a rock and can take a hit.

I thought that a lot of the force went into his neck. It was a dog act, which should have a substantial penalty to wipe it out, regardless of perceived force.

Why? Less rest in defence than forward. And what about those pack marks in front of goal last week?
First everyone thinks Otten is KPD, now they think he's a ruckman.

He's a 191cm third tall who was groomed as a mid before he did knees. Great to see him back. Would be nice not to have him killed.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back