Our best quarter of football... ever?

Remove this Banner Ad

So given the context of the season. The gulf in ladder position and just how dominant Adelaide had been... was that the best quarter of football North have played in a H&A game? I noticed on the club feed they referred to it as our 3rd or 4th best ever but personally I rate massively holding a team to 0 at the same time. There's something magical about that.

So, cast your votes - What is the greatest quarter of footy you've seen North play in a H&A game?

So given the context of the season. The gulf in ladder position and just how dominant Adelaide had been... was that the best quarter of football North have played in a H&A game? I noticed on the club feed they referred to it as our 3rd or 4th best ever but personally I rate massively holding a team to 0 at the same time. There's something magical about that.

So, cast your votes - What is the greatest quarter of footy you've seen North play in a H&A game?
I think so...I was in a corporate box and giving it to the Essendon filth on that nightmare day in 2001. The quarter time score was 12.1 to **** 2.3

The first quarter against Collingwood at Vic Park in 93 though both were on top. We stayed there.

The first quarter against Hawthorn in 94 at the G on a Friday night. Amazing that we met them in the finals that year.

That massive first quarter against Richmond on a Monday (?) night. They got a goal within 30 secs & the Tigger train was glory bound. We kicked 11 or so by quarter time.

The first quarter against Hawthorn in 94 at the G on a Friday night. Amazing that we met them in the finals that year.
I don't recall the first quarter, but the game itself was awesome after a decade of not beating them.

Final score: North Melbourne 25.23 (173) d Hawthorn 6.10 (46)

Demons were exorcised that Friday night.

64-0
9e472d57c19fe14422f1ece087760037.jpg

Sent from my F8331 using Tapatalk

64-0
9e472d57c19fe14422f1ece087760037.jpg

Sent from my F8331 using Tapatalk

I wish we had a snap of the scoreboard from Victoria Park from that Adrian McAdam game in 93. I'll never forget standing in the outer for that one.
The nature of the win, the disgraceful racist abuse by the Scum ferals and their destruction of assorted picket fences stumbling away from the ground.

I'm having trouble rating it cos I'm still in disbelief.

But I'd still go with the 40 point turnaround last quarter against Sydney at the SCG cos (a) we'd been so s**t all game, (b) we came from absolutely nowhere to build to fever pitch as the clock went down, (c) the Sydney knitting brigade were getting chirpy and we shut them right up, (d) it was Archer's 250th (?), and (e) I was there

...personally I rate massively holding a team to 0 at the same time. There's something magical about that.

Likewise. Enjoyed the way the quarter started, but when we kicked our 6th goal to their nil score I was just loving it. And it just got better!
I was getting a bit nervous in the final minutes of the quarter worrying the Crows might make it up their end and sully their lovely looking score.

This game reminded me of our Round 7 meeting against the Crows in 1999 when we went bezerk and kicked 10 first quarter goals.
We must have been upset about something, not sure what? o_O

(Log in to remove this ad.)

North vs Essendon 1978 i think. At 3 quarter time we were just up and kicking into a gale in the last with noone on the bench and 15 fit players and we won. My favorite line of commentary from Mike Williamson was "this is unbelievable North are actually creating the loose man".

what that qtr did, and I'm sure most of us are pretty pleased it did
is completely shut up the tedious debate about last yrs retirees and has also nailed shut the lid on LT and Andrew S

All of em served us well, still completely unimpressed with wells but hey, he was unreliable, that is just so obvious now

We wld not have seen wot we saw unless the Famous Five were gone Plus we still have another half dozen players queuing up

But I'd still go with the 40 point turnaround last quarter against Sydney at the SCG cos (a) we'd been so s**t all game, (b) we came from absolutely nowhere to build to fever pitch as the clock went down, (c) the Sydney knitting brigade were getting chirpy and we shut them right up, (d) it was Archer's 250th (?), and (e) I was there

Round 19, 2004.

What a game.

Still watch replays of that last quarter to this day

yeah that was abeauty last quarter. i was also there and we had been drinking all game so by the last quarter was well on the way.
we were going off our heads giving it to swans supporters. went up to the kangas function and apparently had a chat to troy mackpiece .
ahhhh the memories

North vs Essendon 1978 i think. At 3 quarter time we were just up and kicking into a gale in the last with noone on the bench and 15 fit players and we won. My favorite line of commentary from Mike Williamson was "this is unbelievable North are actually creating the loose man".
Barry Goodingham, the ruckman, kept getting the ball back over the boundary line. It was in front of the grandstand for ages during that quarter. Not pretty but a big, big win

For memory we kicked 10 goals in the 1st qtr in 1999 crows game, this was the first time we played them after a game in 98 which i won't mention.

Round 7 1999 v Adelaide. North 10-2 to Crows 2-2.

Pagan had used a replay of the Crows ridiculing our club song after the 98 debacle and North came out fuming.

North went on to win by 56 points without Carey. Scholl kicked 6, Shagger, Boomer and Bell played blinders.

For mine the comeback match was our best 1st quarter, with Jess Sinclair playing the best quarter of his career. Next would be saturdays game.

yeah that was abeauty last quarter. i was also there and we had been drinking all game so by the last quarter was well on the way.
we were going off our heads giving it to swans supporters. went up to the kangas function and apparently had a chat to troy mackpiece .
ahhhh the memories

Gave me a chuckle.

I think the wind was a big factor in the score, it was a great toss to win.

While Adelaide have been good, our position on the ladder is largely due to reduced depth, injuries and interrupted pre-season by many players, carrying underperformers and some mysterious team selection at times.

We could have easily been a 6-1 side instead of 2-5.

The game was also relatively even after that quarter. We inflicted some unspeakable horrors on to some clubs, like Richmond in 1990 where we kicked 13.3 in the first quarter to 2.1, then continued to dry hump them to the tune of 32.17 (209) vs 9.14 (68). That left a lot of scars for Richmond people and helped to transform them into a bunny of ours over the years.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back