Prediction Future of Josh has gone to the Dogs.

Where's Schack at in 2018?

• Brisbane

Votes: 173 42.3%
  • Other

Votes: 141 34.5%
  • Does anybody even care anymore?

Votes: 95 23.2%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yes. I'd be pretty surprised if he has changed his mind that quickly to the point he is now 100% departing the club. A huge offer could no doubt have changed his mind, but I'm certainly not resigned to losing him. My money is on him staying.
Gee that's a bold prediction. Hope you're right.

Totally agree.

For those with short memories didn't 'we', as a group, all toast Leppa when he was using his connection/friendship with Alex Rance in trying to get him up to the Lions?
Disagree. This is a kid Leppa essentially bottomed out for in a two win season. He knows better than anyone the struggles we have, one of the first things he said when starting as coach was that he needed to create an environment that kids will want to stay at.

Well three years later here we are. By definition he failed to create that environment at the club (still lost draftees during his time) and is now using that fact to recruit one of our few top 5 picks in recent years. At least Rance gave Richmond years of top line service (and let's face it, nobody actually thought he was going to come to Brisbane). I'm all for being ruthless in the pursuit of excellence but surely this is a situation where moral obligations should play a part. He is even being paid by the club at this point.

Probably will when Schache officially comes out and says he wants to move.

Surely he'll take a leaf out of the Royal ones book until the end of the year?
“With the contract, I am leaving it with my manager and the club,’’ Aish said

“They are going to keep talking throughout the year, we don’t have any set date on anything but they will continue talking and I’ll be left to try and get a kick and get a few games in the seniors.’’

I will be absolutely stunned if we finish the season with 3 wins. I just can't see it. We are so undermanned its not funny. Our midfield really does have no depth.
As will I, but I wouldn't put it past us. Remember last year when we were lambasted by the media for beating Carlton in Round 21? We missed out on pick 1 by 0.7%. Then there was 2015 when we somehow beat 6th place Bulldogs in the final round, and lost pick 1 to Carlton for the sum of 2.8%.

We have a way of doing this to ourselves.

As will I, but I wouldn't put it past us. Remember last year when we were lambasted by the media for beating Carlton in Round 21? We missed out on pick 1 by 0.7%. Then there was 2015 when we somehow beat 6th place Bulldogs in the final round, and lost pick 1 to Carlton for the sum of 2.8%.

We have a way of doing this to ourselves.
It probably would have made no difference to who we picked up in the draft.
2016- We had pick 2 and went down to pick 3 via a trade with GWS, one of the recruiters mentioned that we knew who GWS were looking at at pick 2 and we would still get our man. It is highly likely that we had Hugh McCluggage rated at number 1 on our board.
2015- Because of the certainty that Josh Schache wanted to come to us:rolleyes: we would have more than likely chosen him at number 1 and bypassed Weitering.

I think he will be John Butcher 3000 or an iButcher 8.0 as opposed to the Butcher Note 7 which had his career killed because he wasnt allowed on planes anymore.

IF we had a player who had a legit medical condition that stopped him getting on a plane I would consider that medical/compassionate grounds to get him to somewhere like the Pies where he can play 18 games in Melb, and if needed drive to Sydney or Adelaide for the games there etc ... ditto if he was a WC/Freo/GCS/Syd/GWS ... it would even let him play in the GF if his team makes it.

Gillon in 2015
He has the utmost confidence in Brisbane’s ability to ride out the storm and is hopeful the Lions will “emerge quickly’’ from the AFL cellar.

“There’s been talk Brisbane are looking at using that high draft pick to get Josh Schache who wants to come to the Lions so that is also encouraging.

“Brisbane are regenerating.’’

Gillon in 2017
c4jt321.png

The whole him 'wanting to come here' was always so overstated. He never looked overly invested (granted he is casual by nature)

But when you're getting microphones stuck in your face and being asked about 'your deceased fathers legacy and the Brisbane Lions' when you know you're more than likely going to end up there anyway, what are you going to say?

so over this. I don't even care that much about losing him the player - I am more pissed about he PR disaster and embarrassment.

Last edited:
I maintain that he may not realise what a 'tipping point' his departure is in the media and the public eye. People at bars and water coolers around the country are unanimously saying 'its fu*** that kid is leaving the Lions'. There is a real ground swell of support and sympathy for us and by leaving, he is going to wear that. I don't think a lot of people are going to be cheering him on and the media are going to mark him especially hard as they are already. Hope he is ready to be 'the kid that killed Brisbane' for the rest of his career. I am that serious, this is unprecedented how harsh this process is becoming on the club.

Disagree. This is a kid Leppa essentially bottomed out for in a two win season. He knows better than anyone the struggles we have, one of the first things he said when starting as coach was that he needed to create an environment that kids will want to stay at.

Well three years later here we are. By definition he failed to create that environment at the club (still lost draftees during his time) and is now using that fact to recruit one of our few top 5 picks in recent years. At least Rance gave Richmond years of top line service (and let's face it, nobody actually thought he was going to come to Brisbane). I'm all for being ruthless in the pursuit of excellence but surely this is a situation where moral obligations should play a part. He is even being paid by the club at this point.
What?

So this is how it goes. We perform badly enough for us to get high picks, who Melbourne-based clubs and other clubs in the AFL states are into, officially or otherwise, from the word go, so they lack real motivation and therefore we as a club perform badly, so they want to leave, so we then receive high draft picks, yada yada yada.

I repeat- pick only locals or Tasmanians. Although Hipwood may disprove my argument.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Sounds like it......and I hope Fagan and co are as angry as Caro said they were.

...and let's not forget Caro works with Leigh, as well as her connection to Richmond. Won't surprise me at all if he passes on bits and pieces, deliberately or otherwise.

Someone take The young man out from Dan Merrett's basement and show him what Greater Brisbane has to offer:

•Take Josh up to the Big Pineapple for a day.
•Take Josh on a cruise on through Deception Bay in a convertible.
•Take Josh out late night shopping on a Thursday night at Carindale.
•Take Josh to Wellington Point Pier to catch a 10cm whiting or bream
•Take Josh to the middle of Northlakes (Legoland) and see how long he takes to navigate out of there. Time it, and see if he can break his record the following day/week.

#takejosh

It's not that hard, is it?!

Yeah, there isn't a lot to recommend Brisbane as a must go destination. Queen Street Mall could be a clincher though? ;)

Kid has dug a massive hole for himself, the pressure on him now is huge.

This is what I said above. And he hasn't made any mates in the process, the footy world is feeling very sympathetic to the Lions this time around. Hope he is up for wearing the tag both performance wise as he will be scrutinized very closely given the way this is unfolding.

Yeah, there isn't a lot to recommend Brisbane as a must go destination. Queen Street Mall could be a clincher though? ;)

Take him up to the Park Road train station and sink red bulls from the vending machine.

Apparently Adelaide doesn't have a whole lot to offer as a city and entertainment either, but Crows/Port don't seem to have the same go-home problem we have......so I don't buy the fact that Brissy is not a good place to live for a young one from interstate.......geez, the sth east of Qld is riddled with ex vics who went up there and stayed.

(yes, Dangerfield left and maybe one or two others, but nothing like us)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back