Preview Lions v Dogs Marvel Stadium Thursday 30th March 6.20 pm Brisbane Time

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've long been against the two ruck set up with 3 tall forward but it clearly worked on Friday. From what I saw, I think it worked because it forced or at least the gameplan did, Joe and Hippy to push up the ground. If we continue to use the ruck combo like that then IMO it works well and potentially could really stretch oppo defences. I've long said that Hippy should be a nightmare match up due to his unique attributes and maybe pushing him further up is a way to do that.

I think the whole industry is obsessed with stats. Any time I talk to the younger generation ( and I say that with respect ) about footy they inundate you with stats to justify the merit of a player. I look at some of these players and think sure they're racking up stats but are they having any impact.

Sometimes you see a player get 2 handballs and a kick in a chain that ends up in the arms of the opposition .Great stats ,negative impact.
Haha as someone who constantly quotes stats to find insights, I feel personally attacked! (Jokes)

There are definitely a few stats that mean completely nothing that are hamped on far too much (distance gained being probably the most useless one), and others that are interesting but not clearly defined enough IMO (like "pressure acts").

What's more frustrating is that we don't get access to all the stats that probably are alot more interesting to see how certain players are going (the GPS tracking data only being Top 5 is very frustrating) and IMO actually stops good independent analysis of the game.

I dream for a complete overhaul of the way the game is presented and commentated on, watching the Australian Open this year I felt like I learnt 1000% more about tennis strategy by listening to the commentators then I have in my 15+ years of watching AFL. I feel if champion data made all their stats available there would be much more interesting analysis on the teams available.

Nothing's more boring then hearing derrrrwayyynnee talking about "shots from outside the paint".

They spoke about it on Browny's podcast and one thing that was mentioned is that it takes a toll on indigenous players simply because they're trotted out and expected to answer questions etc that they probably would prefer not to. Either way good move to keep the kid away from the journo's after something like that. IMO they can only make the situation worse for him.

Makes sense. I’m not indigenous myself so can’t pretend to know what it’s really like, but to me at least I would be definitely be affected by the media rounds following an incident like this more than the abuse itself.

An entire week of dominating the news cycle and being expected to front up and trot out the same empty platitudes over and over again. Eddie Betts said it best in late 2021 - why are the indigenous guys expected to be the ones to come out and say “this isn’t on” and educate etc? Fucj that, everyone knows it’s wrong (and those that don’t are the ones hurling the abuse in the first place and wouldn’t listen anyway). Let the league/club deal with it and leave the poor kid alone.

Correct . He always seems on his own and doesn't have the impact required for someone who's getting unhindered , un pressured kicks most of the time.
The Sam Sheldon Effect.

Shows how much the AA selectors are infatuated with stats.
If only the AA Team actually had to play someone for something meaningful (or at all) they might be more concerned with team balance and dynamism and functionality rather than working out how to put their favourite 30 mids into a 22 man squad!

Haha as someone who constantly quotes stats to find insights, I feel personally attacked! (Jokes)

There are definitely a few stats that mean completely nothing that are hamped on far too much (distance gained being probably the most useless one), and others that are interesting but not clearly defined enough IMO (like "pressure acts").

What's more frustrating is that we don't get access to all the stats that probably are alot more interesting to see how certain players are going (the GPS tracking data only being Top 5 is very frustrating) and IMO actually stops good independent analysis of the game.

I dream for a complete overhaul of the way the game is presented and commentated on, watching the Australian Open this year I felt like I learnt 1000% more about tennis strategy by listening to the commentators then I have in my 15+ years of watching AFL. I feel if champion data made all their stats available there would be much more interesting analysis on the teams available.

Nothing's more boring then hearing derrrrwayyynnee talking about "shots from outside the paint".
I'm quite sure that clubs right now get access to lots of interesting stats that we plebs currently don't have access to that would prove incredibly illuminating, and the only way we'll get these is when the players currently using these stats retire and go into the media.

Things like "pressure rating" and "scores from turnover/stoppage" are things which we've only heard of in the last few years, but I'm sure clubs were using these internally 10+ years ago.

If only the AA Team actually had to play someone for something meaningful (or at all) they might be more concerned with team balance and dynamism and functionality rather than working out how to put their favourite 30 mids into a 22 man squad!
That's (partly) why the team we pick to play Ireland invariably bears very little resemblance to the All Australian team.

Zorko was on Pat and Heals yesterday and mentioned that he was very sore after the game on Friday night and only just starting to feel a little better.
Said that it had basically been about 6 months since he has had body contact in a game. They were just starting to play intra clubs when he had the hammy issue and has basically been re-habbing ever since so has gone the whole preseason without contact and is feeling a bit battered after the game.

Zorko was on Pat and Heals yesterday and mentioned that he was very sore after the game on Friday night and only just starting to feel a little better.
Said that it had basically been about 6 months since he has had body contact in a game. They were just starting to play intra clubs when he had the hammy issue and has basically been re-habbing ever since so has gone the whole preseason without contact and is feeling a bit battered after the game.

The firmness of the ground wouldn't have helped things either

Cam come up a bit sore after his date with the turf in the first quarter.
And Payne’s hand injury.
I thought that incident was almost akin to tunnelling. I thought at least if you blocked someone's run at the ball but didn't make contact yourself (with the ball) then it was a free kick?

I guess maybe cause they both had eyes for the ball the entire time? Not sure.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

They spoke about it on Browny's podcast and one thing that was mentioned is that it takes a toll on indigenous players simply because they're trotted out and expected to answer questions etc that they probably would prefer not to. Either way good move to keep the kid away from the journo's after something like that. IMO they can only make the situation worse for him.
Seriously amazing that it even still happens in this day and age, not that it was ever right.

Seriously amazing that it even still happens in this day and age, not that it was ever right.
There is an interview where Dermie talks about how they did it to Chris Lewis (different context obviously compared to a fan) in the late 80s'/early 90s because they knew it got under his skin and made him play worse but they didn't understand the depth of what they were saying and how horrible it actually was. Obviously he/they should've had a better understanding. He went on to say something along the lines of they used to do it to other indigenous players from WA because they knew it wasn't something that they had to put up with in WA so it would put them off their game. Obviously Dermie (and others) went well over the line, but they're at least face to face with the guy knowing they can put him off his game. It's wrong, shouldn't have happened and even in the 80s/90s they should have known better.
What some person in the crowd thinks they're going to get out of that kind of s**t is beyond me. Everyone around will think you're a tosser at the very least, and you might be near the wrong person who might give you a well deserved smack in the chops for it. On the podcast they did talk about a lifetime ban where you're only way to get rid of it is to prove that you're no longer that same person by therapy/courses etc.

I wonder what would happen to the person who provided the smack...?
Depends on who did it, how many times they did it and the damage done I guess. I could see a ban being issues and then lifted due to public outcry though.
I'm still trying to figure out where the world stands on punching some in the face for saying something that deserves it, it seems to constantly change depending on who has said the wrong thing, who has reacted etc.

I wonder what would happen to the person who provided the smack...?

Depends on who did it, how many times they did it and the damage done I guess. I could see a ban being issues and then lifted due to public outcry though.
I'm still trying to figure out where the world stands on punching some in the face for saying something that deserves it, it seems to constantly change depending on who has said the wrong thing, who has reacted etc.
I wonder how the media would cover a bloke who punches a woman in the face for shouting out a racial slur. Thinking about it they would do what they normally would, ignore any inconvenience. We would hear pin drops.

I wonder how the media would cover a bloke who punches a woman in the face for shouting out a racial slur. Thinking about it they would do what they normally would, ignore any inconvenience. We would hear pin drops.
media implodes, black hole opens up and the world ends.

B Starcevich Andrews Rayner
HB Mckeena Payne Rich
C Ashcroft Dunkley Mcluggage
HF Bailey Daniher Gunston
F Cameron Hipwood McCarthy
FOLL- Omac Robertson Neale
I/C- Fort, Wilmot, Zorko, Prior
Sub- Ah’Chee

apparently he hasn't been very good there this year. Out of form may be?
He was a bit slow in round 1 as most mids of his type usually are.

Was going pretty well on the weekend just gone but starting getting shifted forward as early as mid second quarter so didn’t really get much of a chance.

Whether he’s overrated or not I definitely much prefer Caleb Daniel being in there instead.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back