Preview Lions v Port @ Adelaide Oval Saturday March 18th @ 3.35 PM Brisbane Time

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
I would like to know the campaigner to knowledgeable AFL player ratio as compared to the campaigner to knowledgeable ratio of Big Footy posters.

ie. How many of us are campaigners?
I think that ratio would be hard to measure so maybe just count everyone who has a white, black or silver car

Will be fun watching Ashcroft break tackles from JHF and then run rings around him. Possibly the most overrated 1st pick draft player since Watts.

I wouldn't be surprised to see JHF have a great first quarter, gass himself and end up getting subbed in the third.

Putting effort into Ashcroft would be crazy for a team. Its just asking for Neale, Clugg, etc to get off the chain. It might make a litttle sense if we were a bottom of the ladder (but then you should back your system anyway), against a top team its suicide.

Even last year Daicos wasnt really getting tagged when Collingwood was going well

I mean we saw something similar with Coleman in the Sydney practice game - in the second half they experimented with tagging Coleman (because he was having a big impact), and it just completely opened up their midfield and let our guys run through unhindered.

His whole demeanor screams of maturity, professionalism and future leader of our club........and every time I've seen him talk, he reminds me so much of Ablett jnr with his facial expressions and mannerisms..

Will be good watching his career unfold and taking off. Just hope the media leave him alone to develop at his own pace..

Whats the conesnsus Brissy fans or contrarian views?

I see a 3 player swing between Rayner, Willmot and Dev Robbo as to where they play?

Rayner has been defense all PS games but does he go back fwd with Willmot as the defender and Dev Robbo the wing

Robbo also started and played alot of wing in the most recent praccy game

It would mean a Starcevich needs to take a Georgiades which he could but then Fantasia and Rioli could keep Mckenna and Willmot on their toes

Or is it
Rayner Back
Willmot Wing majority
Dev Robbo half fwd

Whats the conesnsus Brissy fans or contrarian views?

I see a 3 player swing between Rayner, Willmot and Dev Robbo as to where they play?

Rayner has been defense all PS games but does he go back fwd with Willmot as the defender and Dev Robbo the wing

Robbo also started and played alot of wing in the most recent praccy game

It would mean a Starcevich needs to take a Georgiades which he could but then Fantasia and Rioli could keep Mckenna and Willmot on their toes

Or is it
Rayner Back
Willmot Wing majority
Dev Robbo half fwd
Rayner will play back, Wilmot, Dev, Tunstill and Berry will rotate on the wings with Ashcroft there a little bit also but no doubt Wilmot will play some game time in the backline as well.
If Port get on top a little Rayner may be thrown forward and Wilmot back but that would depend on how the game is shaping up.

Hypothetical sure, but how does everyone reckon Rayner would go directly playing on Georgiades? It seems to me like we'll start with Starce on him, but Georgiades has quite a spring and I can't help but think Rayner would be a good match up for him given his own aptitude overhead and in one on one contests.

Hypothetical sure, but how does everyone reckon Rayner would go directly playing on Georgiades? It seems to me like we'll start with Starce on him, but Georgiades has quite a spring and I can't help but think Rayner would be a good match up for him given his own aptitude overhead and in one on one contests.
I think Rayner played on Henry in the Geelong game for a good part of it?
And I remember Henry taking one really good mark but not much else.
So he could be a pretty good match up but Starce may get the job initially as you say.

I just love that we are essentially putting the acid on our midfield and forwards for their pressure to be good, and/or for everyone to get back and be all hands on deck in defence. And Fages absolutely was not shying away from it in his presser yesterday. "Yep this may be a bad thing if they mark everything, but if the ball hits the ground it may be a good thing". Risk and reward folks, and even better that we are confronting this head on and saying "yes it may work and it may not work - but let's KNOW, let's not get to Round 24 and still be guessing". Full props to Fages and the coaching group for this - finally we appear to be taking the lead in something instead of copying strategies from other clubs.

If it works against Port we may well go for the jugular against the Dees and Dogs, which would be absolutely fascinating and may even directly influence the direction of future strategy in the sport, certainly for this season and potentially beyond.

Match ups at the bounce for sure, but then things change.
As we know, it is team defense these days, so they will go in with a plan.
Change it around some if things are not quite right.

I think Rayner may be the person dropping back as that last man a fair bit during the game.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I think Rayner may be the person dropping back as that last man a fair bit during the game.
Yes he's been sighted as the goalkeeper a bit hasn't he. He seems to read the game well down there so is suited to the role. Of course it relies on pressure around the contest.

I was expecting a convincing win but Kenny has a habit of firing his teams up early in the season. Coming up against us who've usually had the wood on them it'll be a backs against the wall fiery sort of effort I'd imagine.
i believe we have a better team than the one that played Port at the GABBA last year in round 1, but if not for their injuries late in the game Port looked like they had our measure. Will be close, in what I think will be a reasonably high scoring game.

This was our round 1 team against Port last year

AF47E21A-E268-4B51-B168-42F1B17335DB.jpeg
So the outs from that game are :
Gardiner
Adams
AhChee
Robinson
Zorko
McStay
Lyons
Cockatoo
Fort
Answerth

This years team:
265CA9E3-64B5-45E8-A37A-E3461B770966.jpeg

Ins:
McKenna
Payne
Wilmot
Ashcroft
Gunston
Hipwood
Dunkley
Robertson
Coleman
Tunstill

10 changes from year to year. That’s a hell of a lot of changes from 1 year to the next for a round 1 game,
But I agree with On the quiet that I think we have a stronger team this year.

Last edited:
Rayner will play back, Wilmot, Dev, Tunstill and Berry will rotate on the wings with Ashcroft there a little bit also but no doubt Wilmot will play some game time in the backline as well.
If Port get on top a little Rayner may be thrown forward and Wilmot back but that would depend on how the game is shaping up.
I noticed Tunstill play half fwd a bit

Tunstill fwd
Rayner back
Willmot and Dev Robbo wing with Berry as primary.

This is our around 1 team against Port last year

View attachment 1631801
So the outs from that game are :
Gardiner
Adams
AhChee
Robinson
Zorko
McStay
Lyons
Cockatoo
Fort
Answerth

This years team:
View attachment 1631809

Ins:
McKenna
Payne
Wilmot
Ashcroft
Gunston
Hipwood
Dunkley
Robertson
Coleman
Tunstill

10 changes from year to year. That’s a hell of a lot of changes from 1 year to the next for a round 1 game,
But I agree with On the quiet that I think we have a stronger team this year.

This is why I think we need to be patient as the new faces will take time to gel.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back