Preview Lions v Port @ Adelaide Oval Saturday March 18th @ 3.35 PM Brisbane Time

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
So you'd expect him to be named onfield when teams are announced, assuming his pre-season naming on bench was more an experimental/practice thing?
I don't take the named positions as gospel anymore. I think it used to mean something but we have had some funny ones. I know we have had short players named in key positions, forwards named as defenders etc. I'm not sure if other clubs do it that way as well now but I assume there is some kind of inside joke going on. Now the way footy is played, I'm not even sure starting on the bench doesn't mean you're not the first choice in that position(limited to pockets, flanks and wings), just thats how coaching staff have worked the rotations to give you the most TOG.

Harris Andrews full forward tonight.
Beat me to it. Does anyone know the purpose of doing it? All the teams know how each other will line up more or less. Everyone one knows that Harris isn't starting at FF and Joe isn't starting down back.

I don't take the named positions as gospel anymore. I think it used to mean something but we have had some funny ones. I know we have had short players named in key positions, forwards named as defenders etc. I'm not sure if other clubs do it that way as well now but I assume there is some kind of inside joke going on. Now the way footy is played, I'm not even sure starting on the bench doesn't mean you're not the first choice in that position(limited to pockets, flanks and wings), just thats how coaching staff have worked the rotations to give you the most TOG.
Sure Richmond are similar. I guess the question then is - do you think Coleman is your lead option off half back, or will be play forward?

Sure Richmond are similar. I guess the question then is - do you think Coleman is your lead option off half back, or will be play forward?
Coleman didn't play forward last year.

Coleman didn't play forward in the preseason games.

Coleman didn't play forward in the intraclubs.

I'm not sure what you're concerned about (other than both playing a fantasy game and somehow not knowing basic info about players you've got, maybe?).

Coleman didn't play forward last year.

Coleman didn't play forward in the preseason games.

Coleman didn't play forward in the intraclubs.

I'm not sure what you're concerned about (other than both playing a fantasy game and somehow not knowing basic info about players you've got, maybe?).
Personally I always thought this, I blame the fantasy mob for questioning him being put forward in the pre-season match (he kicked a goal omfg). Just testing my assumption that they don't have a clue.

Fair criticism though ;)

Personally I always thought this, I blame the fantasy mob for questioning him being put forward in the pre-season match (he kicked a goal omfg). Just testing my assumption that they don't have a clue.

Fair criticism though ;)

I think he’ll get a number of goals this year too, but he’s not going to play forward. Based on the preseason games, he’s still coming off half back but just being given a license to GO and get it forward as far as he can - if that’s the goals then that’s the goals lol.

Not a bad idea because he’s probably the best kick on the team, so having him delivering it to our forwards on a silver platter will be beautiful.

Will’s officially in!

High Quality Im Shocked GIF

So anyway, take from it what you will but this is the 23 that trained with the main group this morning.

Rayner Harris Starcevich
Rich Payne McKenna
Ashcroft Clugga Berry
Oscar Neale Dunkley
McCarthy Hippy Bailey
Cameron Daniher Gunston
Dev Prior Wilmot Tunstill Coleman

Do we get a 22 named tonight or is it the starting 18 and an 8 man bench?

If it is the 22 I think it will contain the names above with one to be named as sub before the game.

So anyway, take from it what you will but this is the 23 that trained with the main group this morning.

Rayner Harris Starcevich
Rich Payne McKenna
Ashcroft Clugga Berry
Oscar Neale Dunkley
McCarthy Hippy Bailey
Cameron Daniher Gunston
Dev Prior Wilmot Tunstill Coleman

Do we get a 22 named tonight or is it the starting 18 and an 8 man bench?

If it is the 22 I think it will contain the names above with one to be named as sub before the game.
23 but the TS won't be named until 1 hour before the match
We should know in 1/2 hour

I think he’ll get a number of goals this year too, but he’s not going to play forward. Based on the preseason games, he’s still coming off half back but just being given a license to GO and get it forward as far as he can - if that’s the goals then that’s the goals lol.

Not a bad idea because he’s probably the best kick on the team, so having him delivering it to our forwards on a silver platter will be beautiful.
Sounds a bit like the role Jayden Short was playing for us pre-2022

B: B.Starcevich 37 J.Payne 40 D.Rich 10
HB: C.McKenna 26 H.Andrews 31 D.Wilmot 44
C: W.Ashcroft 8 Z.Bailey 33 J.Berry 7
HF: C.Cameron 23 J.Gunston 19 H.McCluggage 6
F: C.Rayner 16 J.Daniher 3 E.Hipwood 30
Foll: O.McInerney 46 J.Dunkley 5 L.Neale - C 9
I/C: D.Robertson 2 L.McCarthy 11 K.Coleman 18 J.Tunstill 29

Emerg: J.Prior 20 H.Sharp 22 D.Fort 32 D.Joyce 41

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Basically the round 1 team I predicted except for Tunstill over Prior. Like that we haven't shoe-horned in a tall.

That's a big call to go Tunstill over Prior given how proven Prior is at AFL level. Big show of faith for Jimmy.

Power

B: Burton, Jonas, McKenzie
HB: Byrne-Jones, Aliir, Houston

C: Bergman, Drew, Duursma

HF: Georgiades, Marshall, Rozee
F: Butters, Dixon, Powell-Pepper
FOL: Lycett, Wines, Horne-Francis

I/C: Farrell, Fantasia, Rioli, Jones
EMG: Evans, Bonner, McEntee, Burgoyne

Really think we should play with Fort and Oscar in the side going forward.

We obviously feel our best footy is with with O and Joe tap. I don’t think this is anything new. We just haven’t been able to do it often recently due to injuries. I tend to agree with the approach, albeit I think Fort offers things which O doesn’t and vice versa.

B: B.Starcevich 37 J.Payne 40 D.Rich 10
HB: C.McKenna 26 H.Andrews 31 D.Wilmot 44
C: W.Ashcroft 8 Z.Bailey 33 J.Berry 7
HF: C.Cameron 23 J.Gunston 19 H.McCluggage 6
F: C.Rayner 16 J.Daniher 3 E.Hipwood 30
Foll: O.McInerney 46 J.Dunkley 5 L.Neale - C 9
I/C: D.Robertson 2 L.McCarthy 11 K.Coleman 18 J.Tunstill 29

Emerg: J.Prior 20 H.Sharp 22 D.Fort 32 D.Joyce 41
As usual a few players will play in different or slightly different positions
Rayner to defense and Wilmot to wing or bench wing relief being the main two.

Power

B: Burton, Jonas, McKenzie
HB: Byrne-Jones, Aliir, Houston

C: Bergman, Drew, Duursma

HF: Georgiades, Marshall, Rozee
F: Butters, Dixon, Powell-Pepper
FOL: Lycett, Wines, Horne-Francis

I/C: Farrell, Fantasia, Rioli, Jones
EMG: Evans, Bonner, McEntee, Burgoyne
Harris > Marshall, Payne > Dixon, Starcevich > Georgiades?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back