The 2017 Rolling All-Australian Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Its an interesting season for All Australian. I honestly don't reckon there's a single player that hasn't put in a few ordinary performances so far this year - not necessarily bad but certainly not AA level or close.

A good example is Sloane - the guy was absolutely dominating and he was (and may yet still be) heading for a brownlow and then suddenly he plays 2 very ordinary games where he gets tagged and doesn't handle it well.

This suggests to me that it will likely be the guys that really put it together after the bye that will get the honours. There's always a bit of recency bias and I think that will exemplified by the inconsistent performances this year. Even guys that rarely ever put in a bad game like Dangerfield, Selwood and Pendlebury have put in a few ordinary ones.
seb ross i think apart from round 1 has been consistently excellent. if he wasn't such an unsexy selection i think he'd be the first midfielder taken if the team was made now.

Has a Rising Star ever made All Australian?

I assume any player who was nominated but didn't win Rising Star has never won All Australian. But that would be an interesting outcome.

Thus I propose Ryan Burton; if he keeps going as he is he definetely is a favorite for at least one.

One of the toughest years for AA big forwards.

All the usual suspects are having good not great years. Feel like Kennedy is down a bit.

Franklin nowhere near it but with Sydney back to their ways, that's likely to change.

New names like Dixon, Brown and Daniher deserve consideration.

Gonna be a few melts when the team is named I suspect.

Has a Rising Star ever made All Australian?

I assume any player who was nominated but didn't win Rising Star has never won All Australian. But that would be an interesting outcome.

Thus I propose Ryan Burton; if he keeps going as he is he definetely is a favorite for at least one.
Mate if Heppell or Selwood didn't get in when they were clear as day standouts Burton won't either when he's behind McGrath

19 coaches votes in the last two games, 5 in the 7 before that IIRC. Really shouldn't be near the 40 at this point.

BigFooty will always BigFooty but it'd be nice if the media didn't follow suit. I'm glad Jason Dunstall shot down some of the Joe Daniher hype. If you switched his performances from rounds 8 & 9 with rounds 1 & 2 no one would be talking about him, but people like Robbo have one week memories at best. Which is why if we roll GWS this week we'll be back in flag contention again.

So based on that theory who should be in contention for a forward spot?

Josh Kennedy? 19 votes in total from polling in 3 matches?

Or is it Buddy Franklins 15 votes from 3 games?

Or perhaps its Jeremy Cameron's 18 from 3 games?

I would think Joe's 28 from 4 matches stacks up reasonably well with those others wouldn't you?

Last edited:
B: Laird, Rance, Yeo
HB: Howe, Hurley, Docherty
C: Kelly, Sloane, Merrett
HF: Greene, Franklin, Gray
F: Betts, Kennedy, Cameron
R: Grundy, Dangerfield, Martin
I/C: Neale, Pendles, Ablett, Oliver

B: Laird, Rance, Yeo
HB: Howe, Hurley, Docherty
C: Kelly, Sloane, Merrett
HF: Greene, Franklin, Gray
F: Betts, Kennedy, Cameron
R: Grundy, Dangerfield, Martin
I/C: Neale, Pendles, Ablett, Oliver
i agree with most of this. i'd remove neale and pendles for ross and murphy

mitch duncan would be a smoky as well

Burton won't be AA, but he's not behind McGrath either.
Yet everywhere I read (outside of Hawthorn fans) is that McGrath is the clear standout so far.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

He's a strange one. 3 outstanding games in 83,89 and 90 point beltings and 5 others that have been below rather mediocre

Is in the mix for another small forward spot beside Betts, Right now though i'd be giving that spot to a more consistent contributor like Greene or Fantasia, as they have been real factors in 5 games each. Robbie just the 3.

But if he ends up kicking 50 goals, like he is on track to, i have no doubt that he'll find a spot on the team somewhere.
Thats what i see too. No interest in what he might do though.
Not AA worthy at this point for mine. Had a niggle or two and 3 good games beating up on s**t mobs out of a potential 8 games isnt very persuading.
Not being able to think of another flanker is also no grounds to overrate his season to date.

Yet everywhere I read (outside of Hawthorn fans) is that McGrath is the clear standout so far.
Really? I would've thought Burton and Marchbank both well ahead. Lots of Bombers in the media talking as if McGrath already has it won. Certainly not how I see it.

Really? I would've thought Burton and Marchbank both well ahead. Lots of Bombers in the media talking as if McGrath already has it won. Certainly not how I see it.
Not the thread for it but I see it McGrath slightly ahead of both. Hasn't had a bad game and even managed to do one of the hardest things in football: stop a rampaging Eddie Betts for a half.

Jesus it is really hard even to make a rolling team this year tbh.

FB: Rory Laird, Alex Rance, Robbie Tarrant

CHB: Sam Docherty, Michael Hurley, Dylan Roberton

C: Elliot Yeo, Rory Sloane, Josh Kelly

CHF: Dustin Martin, Joe Daniher, Shaun Higgins

FF: Eddie Betts, Josh Kennedy, Jeremy Cameron

F: Brodie Grundy, Patrick Dangerfield, Marcus Bontempelli

IC: Tom Rockliff, Joel Selwood, Robbie Gray, Taylor Adams

Not the thread for it but I see it McGrath slightly ahead of both. Hasn't had a bad game and even managed to do one of the hardest things in football: stop a rampaging Eddie Betts for a half.

1. Burton
2. McGrath
3. Marchbank

Marchbank is miles behind both but I think Burtons height makes him harder to play against.

Stopped him for a quarter (the 3rd). Betts ran through the middle and kicked his 6th on the hapless Baguley in the last. You need to factor in that the cue was in the rack and that the game was well and truly over at half time. Amazing how bomber supporters talk up this quarter as if his efforts made some kind of difference on the day.

Stopped him for a quarter (the 3rd). Betts ran through the middle and kicked his 6th on the hapless Baguley in the last. You need to factor in that the cue was in the rack and that the game was well and truly over at half time. Amazing how bomber supporters talk up this quarter as if his efforts made some kind of difference on the day.
Yes kicked one goal on Baguley in the last, whilst McGrath was on the bench. Every other minute of the second half McGrath was on him. So I think I'm allowed to call it the second half.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back