Certified Legendary Thread China History in the Making

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Haha not according to Koch. he doesnt want a bar of Honkers. He wants other capital cities. there migh be some incongruent goals between management and the board.

Apparently the issue with having preseason games any further north in China is the cold so they want to keep as far south as possible so there isn't an issue with player welfare or some s**t.

Oh, and I heard that we are now the major tenant of Jiangwan Stadium and have been in discussions with Jack Ma and Alibaba about a rugby tournament being hosted on the ground each year, which will alleviate some of the upkeep costs but also allow us to upgrade the stadium.

Here you are Janus final funding approved yesterday:

http://www.scmp.com/news/hong-kong/...egco-grants-cash-kai-tak-sports-park-11-years

Hong Kong Legco grants cash for Kai Tak sports park – 11 years after it was first mooted

After another long debate, and despite pan-democratic filibustering, stadium and indoor arena project gets green light

PUBLISHED : Friday, 23 June, 2017, 6:23pm
UPDATED : Friday, 23 June, 2017, 11:00pm

120d6f26-57fb-11e7-839c-33f85c43b72e_1280x720_194001.jpg

http://www.scmp.com/news/hong-kong/...egco-grants-cash-kai-tak-sports-park-11-years

It would make sense that a major sponsor like Cathay would want to see the club invest a bit of time into Hong Kong, especially seeing as how we can't really do pre-season camps in Shanghai because of the cold. Kochie might have some grand ideas about playing pre-season games in other locations but at the end of the day it's all about the logistics.

I will say though that the China 2018 trip that was auctioned off they said the club will be visiting a different city every year as part of the official VIP tour - this year was Hong Kong. Perhaps it's part of the Tourism Australia deal?

I'm guessing the plan is Hong Kong for preseason game, different city in China for pre-match tour and to grow the game in China, and premiership points in Shanghai.

Oh, and I heard that we are now the major tenant of Jiangwan Stadium and have been in discussions with Jack Ma and Alibaba about a rugby tournament being hosted on the ground each year, which will alleviate some of the upkeep costs but also allow us to upgrade the stadium.
Shame Alibaba won't throw in a few sponsorship dollars too.

Shame Alibaba won't throw in a few sponsorship dollars too.
How do you know they won't?

Negativity ... leave it behind, way way behind. Should have learnt that by now.

Here you are Janus final funding approved yesterday:

Hong Kong Legco grants cash for Kai Tak sports park – 11 years after it was first mooted

After another long debate, and despite pan-democratic filibustering, stadium and indoor arena project gets green light

PUBLISHED : Friday, 23 June, 2017, 6:23pm
UPDATED : Friday, 23 June, 2017, 11:00pm

120d6f26-57fb-11e7-839c-33f85c43b72e_1280x720_194001.jpg

"Under the plan, the government will cover all building costs,while the winning bidder from the private sector gets to design, build and run the complex under a 25-year contract."

This opens up some potential opportunities for our network and to expand the existing one.

Also,
The club would be happy to play in Shanghai on a Thursday night and then have the next game on a Sunday - they believe a ten day break should be sufficient without having the bye. They are looking to hold the game next year around the same time...but later would be beter.

How would the week before work in this situation? Would this be after a bye? I reckon a Thursday night game in China would be perfect from an Australian audience perspective.

Thanks Janus, Lockhart Road, RussellEbertHandball et al. The last few pages have been really interesting, great seeing this China thing grow legs. The elephant in the room is that wherever this goes we need to escape the capricious whims that caused issues this year. Sudden decisions to refuse beer sales to general admission ticket holders, a decision the day before the game to not allow the Cheer Squad to take the banner on the ground (then reversed in the final hours before the game). This story, especially the part about The Social Creative/Royal Croquet Club reinforced for me that we were probably pretty lucky.

Thanks Janus, Lockhart Road, RussellEbertHandball et al. The last few pages have been really interesting, great seeing this China thing grow legs. The elephant in the room is that wherever this goes we need to escape the capricious whims that caused issues this year. Sudden decisions to refuse beer sales to general admission ticket holders, a decision the day before the game to not allow the Cheer Squad to take the banner on the ground (then reversed in the final hours before the game). This story, especially the part about The Social Creative/Royal Croquet Club reinforced for me that we were probably pretty lucky.

Surely that all happened because the club were at the mercy of Chinese government/police strict policies etc
The group photo on Saturday night was cleared by Police within about 2 mins of such a large gathering forming on The Bund.
Maybe now the relations/rapport will grow and more things will be allowed for future games... I hope... I didn't mind lack of beers, but was too afraid to wave a flag in case I got mowed down by AK-weilding police officers.

But all in all... an incredible experience!!

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Surely that all happened because the club were at the mercy of Chinese government/police strict policies etc
The group photo on Saturday night was cleared by Police within about 2 mins of such a large gathering forming on The Bund.
Maybe now the relations/rapport will grow and more things will be allowed for future games... I hope... I didn't mind lack of beers, but was too afraid to wave a flag in case I got mowed down by AK-weilding police officers.

But all in all... an incredible experience!!
Beer, banner, whatever were not big issues in themselves. It's just the unpredictable way things could happen by our standards. FWIW the group photo thing was provocative, and those involved knew it. We walked off from a slightly earlier attempt when we realised people had been warned not to do it. And it wasn't the only time in our stay I wondered why people left themselves open to problems.

Gotta smile at FiveAA news item: "Giants and Tigers are stealing Port Adelaide's thunder by planning an in season game in India next year"

'Stealing our thunder' by planning a different, worse idea.

Paywall unfortunately but what about the sideshow Fagan (two faced) There must be some discord at the Crows as Fagan also said he'd leave China to Port. Once again like a vulture waiting for someone else to do the heavy lifting. No wonder their on field team are so pathetically soft.

http://www.adelaidenow.com.au/subscribe/news/1/index.html?sourceCode=AAWEB_WRE170_a&mode=premium&dest=http://www.adelaidenow.com.au/sport/afl/teams/adelaide/adelaide-football-club-looking-to-world-stage-to-chase-growth/news-story/0b3bf42c1ed9f8071e427cfe7fcc903d&memtype=anonymous

Crows’ taking a ‘world view’
ADELAIDE Football Club chairman Rob Chapman is challenging “exclusive” rights to international markets, as AFL clubs line up to work —

“Port Adelaide and Gold Coast in China should not exclude other AFL clubs from looking at opportunities in China,” Chapman told The Advertiser.

Last edited:
LOOOOOOOOOOOLLLLLL Crows. Must have heard that 10 million people watched the game in Shanghai (something that Martin Hamilton-Smith dropped last week but I forgot to mention) - making it the most watched game in Australian Rules history by quite a considerable distance.

LOOOOOOOOOOOLLLLLL Crows. Must have heard that 10 million people watched the game in Shanghai (something that Martin Hamilton-Smith dropped last week but I forgot to mention) - making it the most watched game in Australian Rules history by quite a considerable distance.
Is there a quote somewhere?

The Crows board have been wetting themselves proclaiming no TV figures have been mentioned bacause they were crap.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

Paywall unfortunately but what about the sideshow Fagan (two faced) There must be some discord at the Crows as Fagan also said he'd leave China to Port. Once again like a vulture waiting for someone else to do the heavy lifting. No wonder their on field team are so pathetically soft.

http://www.adelaidenow.com.au/subscribe/news/1/index.html?sourceCode=AAWEB_WRE170_a&mode=premium&dest=http://www.adelaidenow.com.au/sport/afl/teams/adelaide/adelaide-football-club-looking-to-world-stage-to-chase-growth/news-story/0b3bf42c1ed9f8071e427cfe7fcc903d&memtype=anonymous

Crows’ taking a ‘world view’
ADELAIDE Football Club chairman Rob Chapman is challenging “exclusive” rights to international markets, as AFL clubs line up to work —

“Port Adelaide and Gold Coast in China should not exclude other AFL clubs from looking at opportunities in China,” Chapman told The Advertiser.

Haha so now Bobby Chapman wants some of the Sideshow action, does he?

sideshowbob.png

Is there a quote somewhere?

The Crows board have been wetting themselves proclaiming no TV figures have been mentioned bacause they were crap.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk
Lol really? HA, they'll really scramble for anything won't they.

And when it's revealed we've had the biggest TV audience in AFL history they'll move onto another petty point. Meanwhile, Port be busy securing 12mill (and counting) in concrete sponsorship with no end in sight.

Never change, Crows fans (and a big shout out to the dozens who are reading this thread :D)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back