What unpopular AFL opinions do you have? (Part 1 - cont in Part 2)

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.

The 2006 GF was higher scoring than 2009, 2010, 2013 and 2016 and comparable to 2012.

Were those GFs boring?
Scoring has nothing to do with whether a game is boring or not. You can have a 50-49 amazing game of football, and you can have a 140-120 boring game of football.

Scoring has nothing to do with whether a game is boring or not. You can have a 50-49 amazing game of football, and you can have a 140-120 boring game of football.

Agreed. 2009 was probably the best of the last 10 as a neutral and it was low scoring.

I don't know how one would call the WC/Syd rivalry boring because it was low scoring. The 2005 GF was a bit of a scrap but the 2006 QF & GF were exciting, as was the 2007 re-match.

It is the unpopular opinion thread, not the get on your sooky defensive high-horse because someone mentioned the team you support thread.

99.999% of the other threads on BF are devoted to that.

Just because it is an unpopular opinions thread doesn't mean people can't discuss the merit of your opinions. Only one person here is getting on their 'sooky defensive high-horse'...

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The notion of tanking for draft picks is ludicrous. Pick 6 as oppossed to pick 8 is little difference and half the time the players the recruiter wants will still be there. I do doubt it actually happens regularly but supporters who say they wouldn't mind losing to get better draft picks are idiots.

Disclaimer: Houli should've been given 4-6 weeks minimum initially.

The AFL had no basis to appeal the Houli decision. Character references have been around in Courts of Law and AFL Tribunals since day dot. In fact didn't a player in the 90s (Craig Bradley I think get off a suspension citing the good bloke defence). None the less the common concenus was Houli should've been given 4 weeks so low and behold there is a PR disaster after the AFL Tribunal using established practices comes up with an all be it (soft) sentence. The media are outraged by the punishment and the AFL spooked by the negative PR come to a contrived 4 week result (as was the consensus at the time).

The notion of tanking for draft picks is ludicrous. Pick 6 as oppossed to pick 8 is little difference and half the time the players the recruiter wants will still be there. I do doubt it actually happens regularly but supporters who say they wouldn't mind losing to get better draft picks are idiots.

Now Yes. Before you could get picks 1,2 2nd round pick 17,18 pick 1 in the PS Draft. No wonder tanking took place.

I support the 'red card' rule. If a player does something like what Bugg did last night they should not be allowed back onto the field, leaving their teams interchange 1 short.

That kind of thuggery on the field is a very poor look, and I'm not sure if it's an unpopular opinion, but I hate hearing about the "good old days" of footy with behind the play elbows and taking a guy out deliberately with a hit.
To quote Eddie talking about Lou Richards "Lou the rover from Collingwood, who used to run around giving people a kick in the leg, in the shins and in the ankle and he used to say he put iodine on his boots so he wouldn’t give them tetanus when he kicked them. That’s what Lou was all about." I've no idea how that could be considered an admirable trait.

Was more prevalent in the days of the priority pick.

The difference between pick 2 compared to 4 isn't great. But the difference between pick 2 and 3 compared to pick 5 is.

Disclaimer: Houli should've been given 4-6 weeks minimum initially.

The AFL had no basis to appeal the Houli decision. Character references have been around in Courts of Law and AFL Tribunals since day dot. In fact didn't a player in the 90s (Craig Bradley I think get off a suspension citing the good bloke defence). None the less the common concenus was Houli should've been given 4 weeks so low and behold there is a PR disaster after the AFL Tribunal using established practices comes up with an all be it (soft) sentence. The media are outraged by the punishment and the AFL spooked by the negative PR come to a contrived 4 week result (as was the consensus at the time).

I have no idea if it's 'legally correct', but their whole reason for appealing was that the minimum suspension for the tribunals decision (which was that it was intentional, high, high) should be 4 weeks.
If the tribunal had said it was careless, he would have got 2 or 3, and it wouldn't have appealed.

But the tribunal tried to have it both ways, having it intentional but then giving it only 2 weeks.

Character references should only mean he gets a minimum suspension for his act (4 weeks), rather than below the minimum suspension (which *should* be impossible, considering it is no longer a minimum suspension).

I think that's fair. I have no idea though if this is a new rule from the AFL to do as you say - get out of the PR nightmare, or whether it's always been a policy to start a intentional-high-high at 4 weeks at minimum.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back