What unpopular AFL opinions do you have? (Part 1 - cont in Part 2)

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Adelaide are overhyped and I don't see them as premiership potentials. Like last year, they have a dynamite forwardline, but their midfield is limited and they have a lot of flashy players who I predict wont stand up come a big final.

Last year they averaged 113 points per game in the home and away season (best), and 82 points against (6th best). This year it's 120 points for (best) and 86 against (again 6th). I know this is a pretty crude analysis but it confirms my hunch that not that much has changed. If I'm a betting man and Adelaide are playing Geelong in the grand final I'm picking the cats.

Personally GWS and Geelong are the sides who have the midfields who can win games of footy, unlike Adelaide who rack up wins at home but don't win enough big games in Melbourne. Their record outside Adelaide this year is losses to Geelong and North, wins against Brisbane, Gold Coast and Hawthorn. They're yet to beat a true contender away from home like GWS or Geelong.

Last edited:
Sam Powell-Pepper won't be on an AFL list in three seasons. Has been a two game wonder and has looked awful again yet tonight.

Not saying he's looked great, but it's also his first year. I understand "Unpopular Opinions", etc., but I'm not sure that he's looked that poor that such a call is warranted, nor whether such a call can reasonably be made so quickly on an 18-19 year old, who is 5-6 years away from entering their prime as an athlete and footballer.

There's plenty of high-ish draft picks getting around the league who had poorer starts to their careers, who've lasted longer than three years at AFL level. From Port's list alone, I can think of Toumpas, Polec and Hartlett off the top of my head, and there's probably others too.

Bryce Gibbs has had a better season than Rory Sloane and apart from last year has been a better player overall through their careers. Sloane gets over hyped in the Anthony Stevens mold being tough and the good bloke reputation.

Bryce Gibbs has had a better season than Rory Sloane and apart from last year has been a better player overall through their careers. Sloane gets over hyped in the Anthony Stevens mold being tough and the good bloke reputation.

Definitely unpopular. I think most people would agree that they would prefer Sloane over Gibbs in their team.

Also you can't say Gibbs has had a better season from two awesome weeks that Gibbs has had (Round 10 v North and Round 13 v GC). Hell Gibbs wouldn't even be in the top 10 in the brownlow.

howe's mark was great but did it need a full week of coverage?

seems like people are just starved of hangers because of the way players move the ball now.

there used to genuinely be 3 nominations a week now i doubt theres even 1 a round worth nominating.

fantastic and spectacular dont get me wrong but didnt need to be 'howe week'

howe's mark was great but did it need a full week of coverage?

seems like people are just starved of hangers because of the way players move the ball now.

there used to genuinely be 3 nominations a week now i doubt theres even 1 a round worth nominating.

fantastic and spectacular dont get me wrong but didnt need to be 'howe week'

i didnt even think it was higher than that one Brett Burton took vs Carlton that day over Kruz

There should be an award like the Brownlow, AFLCA award etc. where whoever votes on it is not allowed to refer to stats.

You can take your own notes during the game and if a player kicks 8 or something that can be a factor, but no 'well player X scored 109 ranking points with a DE of 78% but player Y scored 126 points but only with a DE of 68%' bullshit.

I don't actually enjoy going to games.

It's usually cold, windy or raining, you can barely see half of what's going on, have to deal with crowds of people, and spend $35+ on a ticket, plus transport and food.

Would genuinely rather just sit in the warmth and comfort of my own home, with a perfect view of the action on the tele, and food, drink and toilet readily accessible.

I can only get to about 4 or 5 dogs games a year atm as I've got three young kids, and I have to say I enjoy a Fri or Sat night with a decent steak, bottle of red and watching the footy when they're all in bed. Would be better if the dogs played a bit better in them but you can't get everything I suppose.

Only problem is, and it happened a couple of times this weekend (including the dogs game), is when the game's tight and near the end and one team starts to break out of their back half and the commentators say "they might be out here" - and I'm getting all excited about something I can't even see. Are they actually out or has BT just spotted one player on his own who will get swallowed up by the zone by the time the ball gets there? Who is on their own? Where are they leading to?

That absolutely shits me, and every time it happens I wish I was at the ground - doesn't matter how cold and wet it is.

I can only get to about 4 or 5 dogs games a year atm as I've got three young kids, and I have to say I enjoy a Fri or Sat night with a decent steak, bottle of red and watching the footy when they're all in bed. Would be better if the dogs played a bit better in them but you can't get everything I suppose.

Only problem is, and it happened a couple of times this weekend (including the dogs game), is when the game's tight and near the end and one team starts to break out of their back half and the commentators say "they might be out here" - and I'm getting all excited about something I can't even see. Are they actually out or has BT just spotted one player on his own who will get swallowed up by the zone by the time the ball gets there? Who is on their own? Where are they leading to?

That absolutely shits me, and every time it happens I wish I was at the ground - doesn't matter how cold and wet it is.
Foxtel used to have a red button option where you could watch the game from the far camera and no close ups.

They need to bring that back as it made that issue disappear

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

(Log in to remove this ad.)

That the "in the back" rule for tackles (not marking contests etc.) Is redundant and has little role in the modern game, other than to reward a player who's been caught with the ball.

I understand that the technique of the tackle might not be great, but in what other area to we rule based on technique, as opposed to outcome? (which in this case is a tackled offensive player). Now if the tackle is unsafe and causes unduly head contact with the floor, then treat it as you would any other unsafe tackle, but if it is a clear tackle and the player just happens to fall forward then who gives a **** - treat it as you would any other tackle in that situation.

That the "in the back" rule for tackles (not marking contests etc.) Is redundant and has little role in the modern game, other than to reward a player who's been caught with the ball.

I understand that the technique of the tackle might not be great, but in what other area to we rule based on technique, as opposed to outcome? (which in this case is a tackled offensive player). Now if the tackle is unsafe and causes unduly head contact with the floor, then treat it as you would any other unsafe tackle, but if it is a clear tackle and the player just happens to fall forward then who gives a **** - treat it as you would any other tackle in that situation.

I'm with you on that one. I thought the rule was "push in the back" to stop players pushing other players into dangerous situations or to stop them pushing players away from a contest. Seems like that hardly gets umpired but tackle someone and end up on their back and it's a free kick, even if the initial tackle didn't start that way.

AFL players should be able to kick proficiently on their so-called "non-preferred" side.

I see park footballers with better skills in this area than many AFL footballers.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back