Preview 2017 Young Talent Time

Remove this Banner Ad

For those that trust official AFL media more than those on bigfooty, Twoomey has put up his rankings (not a draft).

http://m.afl.com.au/news/2017-07-06/callum-twomeys-phantom-form-guide-july-edition

Has Fogarty, Sutherland and Brander as 4-6 respectively with Stephenson at 7. If he is right about Sutherland being that good, there will definitely be a player that roughly fits the KPF need at our pick. The question is whether we take one or not.

For those that trust official AFL media more than those on bigfooty, Twoomey has put up his rankings (not a draft).

http://m.afl.com.au/news/2017-07-06/callum-twomeys-phantom-form-guide-july-edition

Has Fogarty, Sutherland and Brander as 4-6 respectively with Stephenson at 7. If he is right about Sutherland being that good, there will definitely be a player that roughly fits the KPF need at our pick. The question is whether we take one or not.
Just a casual question , looking at top 25 do you think freo will downgrade first rd pick again. I actually don't mind either keep or downgrade .

So we can trade for Ty Vickery (apparently he's still under contract but going cheap) and solve our key forward/2nd ruck issues and then have more flexibility with how we use our first rounder.

* not being serious

So we can trade for Ty Vickery (apparently he's still under contract but going cheap) and solve our key forward/2nd ruck issues and then have more flexibility with how we use our first rounder.

* not being serious

Not being serious should be big and bold , can sense Freomaniac lurking around.

TBH Razine ,lukosious ,rozee, Ian hill ,one out of them will be fine.
Yeah just as happy to take Rankine as Hill. Both freakish talents. Benefit of Ian is obviously no potential go home factor.

Rozee was good yesterday and Lukosius is as natural forward as you get. Doesn't have the hands of Brander yet but he is younger and should come. Always seems to be in right spot.

Pick 1,2 or 3 next year should be nice... might have to keep Subes, Ibbo, Sutty and Sherro in the lineup.

. might have to keep Subes, Ibbo, Sutty and Sherro in the lineup.
Absolutely , that is why Ross want to play bennell more in wafl rather than AfL . People are so narrow minded about the whole peel set up ;)

Last edited:
Yeah just as happy to take Rankine as Hill. Both freakish talents. Benefit of Ian is obviously no potential go home factor.

Rozee was good yesterday and Lukosius is as natural forward as you get. Doesn't have the hands of Brander yet but he is younger and should come. Always seems to be in right spot.

Pick 1,2 or 3 next year should be nice... might have to keep Subes, Ibbo, Sutty and Sherro in the lineup.
Brander. or Hayes would be perfect for Freo, for their first pick. My thinking is if we could find a partner for Darcy then take Brander. Otherwise Hayes
would be the go, having two forward/rucks.
Brander is being talked about top 5, some are saying number 1, Hayes at least top 10, but like Logue last year I reckon we would evaluate differently
to most.
Only worry with Hayes is Vic metro, go home factor.

Just a casual question , looking at top 25 do you think freo will downgrade first rd pick again. I actually don't mind either keep or downgrade .

The question is downgrade for what? McCarthy sort of filled an urgent need for a forward focal point last year and we had very little else to give GWS, so I could sort of get it then, it was a trade of singular quality (pick 3) for quantity at potentially a lesser quality.

The first 7 or 8 picks for mine are a step up a level from probably the next 20 or so, and probably on average better than the first 7 from last years draft. I just don't see the value.

Brander. or Hayes would be perfect for Freo, for their first pick. My thinking is if we could find a partner for Darcy then take Brander. Otherwise Hayes
would be the go, having two forward/rucks.
Brander is being talked about top 5, some are saying number 1, Hayes at least top 10, but like Logue last year I reckon we would evaluate differently
to most.
Only worry with Hayes is Vic metro, go home factor.
All my ratings are off somewhere between 2-3 games from the championships and whatever you read on the phantom board.

Brander is a forward (and defender). Hayes is a fairly mobile ruckman who can present well when playing forward. I much prefer Brander. You need someone who knows how to get separation and lead properly. Darcy is not a ruck/forward (at least not yet). He may have some impact from time to time but this is not established at AFL level yet. The other guy needs to spend 70% forward, so he needs to be effective there.

As you say the Vic Metro part worries me no end.

Looking at how may KPP are rated in the top 25 in this draft I think it's fair to say that trading back into the 2nd round would be a priority for us in this draft as well as using our first pick on the best KF available.

Darcy is a gun but we would still want another ruck/forward to compliment him going forward (and presently we only have Apeess and Strnadica who are likely to still be here in 3 years time, and there's a huge question mark over both of them IMO). There are a couple of ruck/forwards rated in the 20-25 range in the list who would be a good target for our 2nd pick if we had one.

Would like Allen, but he's looking like a pick between 12-20. Wouldn't mind if he had a growth spurt and we grabbed him. A key pos from WA would be a huge win.

Or could try down grade pick 5ish to around 12 and get into the 2nd round also.

Getting Brander would also be a decent option. The top 5-8 all look solid.

The question is downgrade for what? McCarthy sort of filled an urgent need for a forward focal point last year and we had very little else to give GWS, so I could sort of get it then, it was a trade of singular quality (pick 3) for quantity at potentially a lesser quality.

The first 7 or 8 picks for mine are a step up a level from probably the next 20 or so, and probably on average better than the first 7 from last years draft. I just don't see the value.
Thanks , can see you point.

All my ratings are off somewhere between 2-3 games from the championships and whatever you read on the phantom board.

Brander is a forward (and defender). Hayes is a fairly mobile ruckman who can present well when playing forward. I much prefer Brander. You need someone who knows how to get separation and lead properly. Darcy is not a ruck/forward (at least not yet). He may have some impact from time to time but this is not established at AFL level yet. The other guy needs to spend 70% forward, so he needs to be effective there.

As you say the Vic Metro part worries me no end.
Looking back to 2016 no one rated Sean Darcy in that draft year, Logue wasn't tipped to be top 10, but
Cox was on a few phantom drafts for the second round.
So Freo definitely do things their own way, and with hindsight nailed that draft.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Looking back to 2016 no one rated Sean Darcy in that draft year, Logue wasn't tipped to be top 10, but
So Freo definitely do things their own way, and with hindsight nailed that draft.

The phantom draft I saw had Logue in the top 10.

Yeah I'll pay that they do their own thing but the two posts below me are right in that it seemed as it got close to draft Logue firmed for top 10 and either us or Sydney.

I still reckon that if they rate any of the top KPF they will take them unless someone else really catches their eye.

For those not following closely, WA finished second on percentage in the U18 champs.

http://www.wafootball.com.au/news/12803/deppro-wa-state-18s-finish-championship-runners-up

Oscar Allen won the Larke medal. I tell you what if our recruiters could somehow grab Allen and Brander in a single draft I'd be very very happy. Oscar to CHF, Brander to FF, McCarthy as 3rd tall fwd, Cox to CHB alongside Hamling and APearce, Darcy in the ruck. Talls all sorted imo.

For those not following closely, WA finished second on percentage in the U18 champs.

http://www.wafootball.com.au/news/12803/deppro-wa-state-18s-finish-championship-runners-up

Oscar Allen won the Larke medal. I tell you what if our recruiters could somehow grab Allen and Brander in a single draft I'd be very very happy. Oscar to CHF, Brander to FF, McCarthy as 3rd tall fwd, Cox to CHB alongside Hamling and APearce, Darcy in the ruck. Talls all sorted imo.
Where does Logue play?

Definitely want Brander or Sutherland.

I think we are a good chance to have a crack at Allen with a pick in the 30s unless he shows pace and/or leap at the combine. At his size he really needs something he can use to get separation. Without that he is a 3rd tall. I think because we have McCarthy as 3rd I would think that Coleman-Jones would be more appealing if he lasted that long. Cam has already shown he can get it done when he gets the 3rd defender at GWS.

Brander and allen in the one draft would almost be the perfect draft for us, leaving the later picks to try and snag some hidden gems. (I actually expect that well elevate alot of rookies this year and refill the rookie spots) Getting a pick in the early 20s to get allen will be the challenge.

History says well probably approach Gold coast to try and get back into the 2nd round, but im not sure they are going to part with one of their early seconds this year for only our 2018 second. So question is what else are we parting with??

Brander and allen in the one draft would almost be the perfect draft for us, leaving the later picks to try and snag some hidden gems. (I actually expect that well elevate alot of rookies this year and refill the rookie spots) Getting a pick in the early 20s to get allen will be the challenge.

History says well probably approach Gold coast to try and get back into the 2nd round, but im not sure they are going to part with one of their early seconds this year for only our 2018 second. So question is what else are we parting with??
I actually think we could definitely convince GC to give us one of those picks this year simply because of the strength of next years draft. I don't want us to for the very same reason.

I would be surprised if we traded up for Allen. Really not what we need given Cam. Trading up for CCJ or Hayes would make more sense but probably require a higher pick (especially Hayes).

I would be surprised if we traded up for Allen. Really not what we need given Cam. Trading up for CCJ or Hayes would make more sense but probably require a higher pick (especially Hayes).
I don't see Allen as anything like Cam or a 3rd tall. He's something like 194cm (he can't be 191cm like Twomey lists him) and no doubt he's still growing - and irrespective of height he plays like a primary KPF who controls the forward line from CHF. Uses his body with strong leads and is strong in the air more so than acrobatic (like Cam was in u18s - similar to Fyfe). I'd have no problem with him being the 2nd tall (even 1st if it came to that) in our line up as he has a presence about him. Kind of hoping Uebergang also gets a chance to become something similar.

I don't see Allen as anything like Cam or a 3rd tall. He's something like 194cm (he can't be 191cm like Twomey lists him) and no doubt he's still growing - and irrespective of height he plays like a primary KPF who controls the forward line from CHF. Uses his body with strong leads and is strong in the air more so than acrobatic (like Cam was in u18s - similar to Fyfe). I'd have no problem with him being the 2nd tall (even 1st if it came to that) in our line up as he has a presence about him. Kind of hoping Uebergang also gets a chance to become something similar.

For the record allen is 192 atm, but probably is still growing. He was on afl 360 the other day and they asked him.

For the record allen is 192 atm, but probably is still growing. He was on afl 360 the other day and they asked him.
On the WAFL website it has him at 193cm I think. So hard to tell unless the player says so himself - so thanks. Like Logue, I have NFI how tall he is anymore. Is it 189cm like the Freo website or 193-194cm like he was in all the pre-draft profiles. If the former then I'd be growing an afro if I was a 17yo draft prospect.

On the WAFL website it has him at 193cm I think. So hard to tell unless the player says so himself - so thanks. Like Logue, I have NFI how tall he is anymore. Is it 189cm like the Freo website or 193-194cm like he was in all the pre-draft profiles. If the former then I'd be growing an afro if I was a 17yo draft prospect.

He looks the same ish height to brennan cox so id say logue must be in the 193-194 range. (But could be the hair giving the extra height) But to throw another spanner in the works, brennan cox said on talking dockers the other week that hes 194 atm not the listed 193 like the freo website, so chances are hes still growing as well.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back