22,927 attendance for Collingwood home game

Remove this Banner Ad

In honour of Tim Watson, I'm going to put a pregnant pause in the middle of each sentence to make myself sound more intellectual.
I've been to every Pies MCG game this year, and I'll continue to do so. On sheer principle I won't go to Etihad (because it's a ******* ****-****). On his crappy tv show, Watson tonight had a go at Pies fans for not turning up. For a moment I thought he was finally going to explain to us why Bruce Reid stood idly by as the Bombers players were injected at quarter time, half time and three quarter time, at the height of the injection regime, but no such luck. I get my hopes up whenever he opens his mouth. **** off, Tim. Until you tell us the truth, get back under your rock.

Nice irrelevant rant champ.

I thought it was more cringey that Geelong had a big song and dance in the lead up about how they don't want anything to do with gambling, yet their matchday sponsor was ladbrokes
Just like how Hawthorn are the supposed family club, but have a history of trading away blokes with depression and have a coach with an anger problem and the club hero who doesn't think twice about drink driving. Pretty 'cringey'!

But... that is irrelevant to this topic, just like your post was. Anything to try and bag Geelong though...

Of course they did.

Did they say it 3 times?
It's funny how North supporters seem to have this penchant for telling stories about 'these Essendon mates I was with at the game' or 'these mouthy Essendon supporters that I had a big fight with at the game' or 'insert unverifiable story that hopefully gives the bullshit I'm trying to peddle more credibility'.

All of these apply to Melbourne based teams:
Teams draw less when performing poorly.
Teams draw less when the weather is poor.
Teams draw less on Sundays.
Teams draw even less on Sunday twilights.
Teams draw less against non Victorian clubs.
Teams draw even less against the newest non Victorian clubs.

The only thing that changes is the baseline levels for each club as a starting point.

I do think personally (and I'd be curious to look at some statistical analysis - although it is so hard because all of those intangibles above aren't easy to read in the statistics) that there might be an argument that constantly having teams like Collingwood / Essendon / Richmond / Carlton playing each other more for the last 20 years has insulated these teams somewhat from the realities of a national competition and may also in the long run make them more vulnerable to lower crowds when playing the non Vic and newer clubs. They are so used to playing each other and other Vic teams... I feel like North / WBD / St Kilda / Melbourne supporters on the whole have been acclimatised to this due to less preferential fixtures for a number of years.

It's funny how North supporters seem to have this penchant for telling stories about 'these Essendon mates I was with at the game' or 'these mouthy Essendon supporters that I had a big fight with at the game' or 'insert unverifiable story that hopefully gives the bullshit I'm trying to peddle more credibility'.

Well them doing to a game with an essendon mate is statistically more likely than them finding another north supporter to go to it with

As someone who lives outside of Melbourne, but who has visited and attended events at Etihad, can someone explain to me what's supposedly so "s**t" about it?

It's in the city, central to transport, under cover (would rather be sitting in dry comfort than what was on offer at the MCG today). It's not the MCG, but nothing else is. I've never understood the hate.
Yeah I don't get the Etihad hate. Spent years going to the shithole over here called footy park. Parking horrendous, having to walk 100mtr to buy a beer. That place was the ultimate concrete jungle.

Why would they want to go watch a game at a place that isn't their home ground that they don't get to use their allocated seats for? On an annoying Sunday timeslot? I don't blame them for staying home.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

NO ONE.............and I mean..........NO ONE...........can ever have a crack at my club about attendances again!

The discussion is DEAD!

This is not meant to rile pies fans, I get that you have had a frustrating year, but I doubt i'll ever get a better opportunity to prove a point.
Well said

But seriously, in defense or North or Collingwood; Etihad Stadium is the worst VFL/AFL venue of all time, no despite. I can't think of a ground before where both the home fans and away fans hate the place. Essendon are really the only club to ever make it into a fortress. Apart from Essendon fans, no every day fan would rather go to Etihad over the G.

Last edited:
Hold the mayo please. Football Park, Subiaco and Homebush are 3 worse I can think of straight away.
Fremantle fans and West Coast fans have loved Subi.

Football Park is still loved by Adelaide fans.

ANZ is well um, Ok your right there:D

But Etihad is still one of the few venues where home fans (Carlton, North, St Kilda and the Dogs to a lesser degree) really hate the place, nor do they generate any decent atmosphere. Something which Essendon somehow manages to do..

To think the AFL have scheduled Richmond at Sleepy Hollow in a couple of weeks!!!! Lucky to get 2000 of us in that so called boutique stadium. What a disgrace AFL. Now we are #1 for attendances I wonder if the League will schedule Pies Bombers and Blues next year?

Vic park by a country mile

Haven't been there myself but I have heard the stories. They are just 3 I've personally experienced. Honestly don't understand the problem with Etihad unless the roof is open during the day. Have watched multiple games there and have found it a fine stadium. Melbourne's lucky to have the best of both worlds.

it didn't get any better than a pies game at Vic park.

As someone who lives outside of Melbourne, but who has visited and attended events at Etihad, can someone explain to me what's supposedly so "s**t" about it?

It's in the city, central to transport, under cover (would rather be sitting in dry comfort than what was on offer at the MCG today). It's not the MCG, but nothing else is. I've never understood the hate.
It's a convenient out for a supporter group who have given up. When they're doing well the joint is packed and hating the ground is conveniently forgotten .

Remove this Banner Ad

Back