The Premiership Standard - 100pts for, 86 pts against

Remove this Banner Ad

I didn't say he was, what i am saying is Lyon has no choice in the matter...Fyfe is the difference between winning and losing a Premiership and it goes against Lyon's style of smotherball, he's not going to restrict Fyfe, he couldn't even if he wanted too. Fyfe cannot be Lyonised and that should win Freo a flag, but the jury is still out....we will have to wait and see.
Again....

Bulldogs 2016 premiership team...

For: 1857 points or 84.4 points a game

Against: 1609 points or 73.13 points a game.

That is similar To Freos 2015 Ross Lyon coached side.

Again....

Bulldogs 2016 premiership team...

For: 1857 points or 84.4 points a game

Against: 1609 points or 73.13 points a game.

That is similar To Freos 2015 Ross Lyon coached side.
Luke Beveridge 1 Ross Lyon 0....and the point is? Get a decent coach that knows how to get the best out of his players.

Nothing wrong with it, but the stats don't show that as the trend. I think something like 14 out of the last 15 premiers have come from within the premiership standard. http://premiershipstandard.com has been updated to show the latest after tonight's games. Geelong are now well and truly in the premiership standard!
Bulldogs 2016 premiership side....
For: 1857 points at 84.4 points a game
Against: 1609 points at 73.13 points

Luke Beveridge 1 Ross Lyon 0....and the point is? Get a decent coach that knows how to get the best out of his players.
Ross Lyon got the beat out of freo. Got freo to a grand final in 2013.

Beverage used defensive tactics similar to ross lyon and you worship him

2016 bulldogs side is the 1st side since Norths 1996 side vs sydney to win a flag without a premiership player.

They are the also the 1st team since 1971 hawks side vs the saints to be a team with no premiership players to beat a team with premiership playerals.
The one negative of today is that it ruins this which was my favourite stat

Ross Lyon got the beat out of freo. Got freo to a grand final in 2013.

Beverage used defensive tactics similar to ross lyon and you worship him
I know which team i would rather watch and that is the Western Bulldogs, Fremantle were horrible, coached to bore the living suitcase out of the viewer. The Bulldogs have spunk, far greater commitment and at the end of the day are a much better team than the Dockers under Ross Lyon. There is no similarity between the Dogs and Dockers, the are miles apart!

I know which team i would rather watch and that is the Western Bulldogs, Fremantle were horrible, coached to bore the living suitcase out of the viewer. The Bulldogs have spunk, far greater commitment and at the end of the day are a much better team than the Dockers under Ross Lyon. There is no similarity between the Dogs and Dockers, the are miles apart!
Freo averaged 84.5 points last season. Yet you give Ross Lyon criticism.

Are you racist towards Ross Lyon and his tactics?

Again.... Are you racist towards Ross Lyon and his tactics?

So Champion Data has been tweeting some interesting stats. 14 of the last 15 premiers have averaged >100 points for and <86 points against. 14 of the last 15. The exception was 2001, however from Round 10 onwards the Lions averaged 80.6 points against, so fair to say they had a slow start.

Thought it might be interesting to keep an eye on this and see how it goes. Currently it looks like this:

Fremantle - 87.4 points FOR, 64.5 points AGAINST
West Coast -
105.1 points FOR, 68.5 points AGAINST
Sydney - 89.3 points FOR, 67.8 points AGAINST
Hawthorn - 110.1 points FOR, 72.1 points AGAINST
Collingwood - 98.5 points FOR, 77.4 points AGAINST

They're probably the main contenders at the minute. Interesting (to me at least) because statistical correlations like this over a lengthy period can usually be relied on. So is Ross Lyon still not scoring enough to finally win a flag?
hey champ, you gonna do the 2017 top 8 finalists?

So Champion Data has been tweeting some interesting stats. 14 of the last 15 premiers have averaged >100 points for and <86 points against. 14 of the last 15. The exception was 2001, however from Round 10 onwards the Lions averaged 80.6 points against, so fair to say they had a slow start.

Thought it might be interesting to keep an eye on this and see how it goes. Currently it looks like this:

Fremantle - 87.4 points FOR, 64.5 points AGAINST
West Coast -
105.1 points FOR, 68.5 points AGAINST
Sydney - 89.3 points FOR, 67.8 points AGAINST
Hawthorn - 110.1 points FOR, 72.1 points AGAINST
Collingwood - 98.5 points FOR, 77.4 points AGAINST

They're probably the main contenders at the minute. Interesting (to me at least) because statistical correlations like this over a lengthy period can usually be relied on. So is Ross Lyon still not scoring enough to finally win a flag?
So the Premiership Standard is to score over 100 points and concede less than 86 points a game

Since you wont do the 2017 finals teams, I will do it for everyone....

1st Adelaide: 109.7 points FOR, 80.7 AGAINST
2nd Geelong: 97 points FOR, 82.63 AGAINST
3rd Richmond: 90.54 points FOR, 76.54 AGAINST
4th GWS: 94.59 points FOR, 82.36 AGAINST
5th Port: 98.54 points FOR, 75.95 AGAINST
6th Sydney: 95.13 points FOR, 75.04 AGAINST
7th Essendon: 97.04 points FOR , 91.09 AGAINST
8th West coast: 89.27 points FOR, 85.45 AGAINST

1st off that means Adelaide is the only "Premiership standard team". Take away west coast that averaged 89 points a game, the rest of the teams average between 94-98 points in attack but have a very good defence.

Come to think of it.... I hope Adelaide don't win the flag just to go against this stupid stat

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Is the stat all season though? Presumably another 3 wins would likely tip Geelong, Sydney, Port, GWS over the 100-86 points. Richmond may only threaten the stat, Essendon & Eagles unlikely to get close.

So the Premiership Standard is to score over 100 points and concede less than 86 points a game

1st off that means Adelaide is the only "Premiership standard team". Take away west coast that averaged 89 points a game, the rest of the teams average between 94-98 points in attack but have a very good defence.

Come to think of it.... I hope Adelaide don't win the flag just to go against this stupid stat

I've written off our first 6 games as unrepresentative of our quality. Since then we average 102.44 points for and 66.13 points against.

Thanks for updating but unless I'm missing something then Essendon is well over 86 points against a game

Lyon is good at what he does no doubt, but you have to be great to be more then second best. The coaches that have beaten his teams in the big games have been Malthouse,Thompson and Clarkson so perhaps his game plan would work against less experienced coaches but the best always have an Ace up their sleeves.
your thoughts on the current top 8 teams?

If the dogs didn't meet the premiership standard then the flag should be declared null and void and given to the reigning premiers at the time.

We have standards for a reason!!!

Ross Lyon is a decent coach. He has just been unlucky. The stats prove it

Err...no he is not.

Until this year he has done nothing but plunder lists in pursuit of a flag, until there is no hope left and then he up's stumps. UNtill this last year refused to play kids.

He is a megalomaniac in sheeps clothing.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back