Opinion The 'Carlton related stuff that doesn't need it's own thread' thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yes.

The club - a corporate entity - released a principled, balanced yet supportive statement. This is how it should be done. Unfortunately, ideologues are losing their s**t over it because they don't like principles or balance, only hard campaigning and 'us and them' mentalities.

I remember this old saying: Actions speak louder than words.

Our club has done and is doing a lot of good things without beating their chest about it.
Best to keep it that way.....with or without Michael Jamison.

Yes.

The club - a corporate entity - released a principled, balanced yet supportive statement. This is how it should be done. Unfortunately, ideologues are losing their s**t over it because they don't like principles or balance, only hard campaigning and 'us and them' mentalities.

HOW DARE YOU! Once again, you have missed the issue Shan. You have no right to respond like that. I'm reporting you to the mods and putting you on ignore! You should be ashaned (sic) of yourself! :mad:

#amidoinitrite? :p

HOW DARE YOU! Once again, you have missed the issue Shan. You have no right to respond like that. I'm reporting you to the mods and putting you on ignore! You should be ashaned (sic) of yourself! :mad:

#amidoinitrite? :p

You need to add a bit more of this.......
giphy.gif

You need to add a bit more of this.......
giphy.gif

In my top 10 movies of all time.

On the mad as hell front, I have used that before....

I don't have to tell you things are bad. Everybody knows things are bad. It's a rebuild. Everybody's out of form or scared of losing their position. The game has changed; we have no outside run; we’ve lost our best forwards; sides are smashing us, and there's nobody anywhere who seems to know what to do, and there's no end to it.

We know our gameplan is not fit for today’s game and our players are unfit to run out matches. And we sit watching our TVs while some local commentator tells us that today we had just fifteen inside 50s and thirty-three tackles, as if that's the way it's supposed to be!

We all know things are bad -- worse than bad -- they're crazy.

It's like everything on the field is going crazy, so we don't push ourselves any more. We sit on the bench, and slowly the world we're living in is getting smaller, and all we say is, "Please, at least leave us alone in our changerooms. Let me have my ciccone hairstyle and my twitter account, and I won't say anything. Just leave us alone."

Well, I'm not going to leave you alone.

I want you to get mad!

I don't want you to protest. I don't want you to riot. I don't want you to write to your manager, because I wouldn't know what to tell you to write. I don't know what to do about the MRP and the sling tackle and the congestion and the BT commentating.

All I know is that first, you've got to get mad.

You've gotta say, "I'm a Calrton player, goddammit! My life has value!"

So, I want you to get up now. I want all of you to get up out of your chairs. I want you to get up right now and go up the race, step on to the field, lift up your head out and yell

"I'm as mad as hell, and I'm not going to take this anymore!!"

The way I see it is like this: I am FIRMLY in the yes camp. I don't see how a marriage between two consenting adults has any bearing on anyone else's life whatsoever. I have not seen one valid argument against SSM, and most of the arguments involve someone's god, which I don't even believe in, and I don't think should have any influence in a secular society.

However--the more we tell the NO voters or the undecideds that they are homophobic, hateful, bigoted etc, the more firmly they dig their heels in. The only way to change their minds, in my opinion, is to treat them like the adults they are and try to humanise the situation. If that doesn't work, then we need our politicians to do what they were elected to do, and that is make decisions that treat *all* Australian people as humans who are equal under the law, not just the ones they approve of.

We saw in the US election that the more celebrities trotted out by Hillary, the more people were labelled as rednecks and racists, the more underground the Trump voters hid and the more division was created. I'd love to move away from 'us and them' and just be 'humans' but that will never happen while both sides are flinging insults and s**t at each other.

The club has no right to represent me, one of its members by picking a side in a yes or no question. The backlash by the SJW who love diversity but not diversity of opinion has been predictable.
This is absolutely spot on.

The thing is, the click-bait headlines, like The Age - "Blues fans angry at SSM view" make it seem like Carlton is in the No camp when if you actually read the statement, it encourages ppl to vote yes without explicitly telling them to do so.

But no it's not good enough is it. Political correctness gone mad.

IMG_4022.JPG

That statement was pretty accurate as this is a political issue, not a football one. It is wrong that any club promotes gay marriage. But seriously the chaos this has caused has been absolutely ridiculous, I mean come on you buy a membership to passionately watch a football team play for 23 rounds, these politicly correct people who take to twitter etc to talk about human rights should be ashamed for even bringing up considering they are trying to deny us the most basic human right of all which built our country: Freedom of speech.

Not everyone is going to vote yes, we are all entitled to our opinion on the matter, I hate to think what will happen if Gay marriage doesn't get passed, by the way the 'yes' campaigners are carrying on it looks like they will look to bulldows parliament. If the club doesn't want to support the campaign they are well in their right to do so, but they never even said they were even against it all they said was "
The issue of 'same sex marriage' is essentially one of equality; and so the Club encourages all of its people to have their say in this important national vote.

As a Club, we respect that this is about personal choice, and as such don't intend to campaign on the issue, but we do strongly reinforce our Club's absolute commitment to equality - and a community that is free from any form of discrimination."
, what in the hell is wrong with that.

If the yes campaigners think that every Australian sporting organisation and citizen will go out of their way to endorse an issue such as Gay marriage then they are wrong, the world doesn't work like that, most Australians have more important things to worry about and for Carlton, football should be the priority.

The way I see it is like this: I am FIRMLY in the yes camp. I don't see how a marriage between two consenting adults has any bearing on anyone else's life whatsoever. I have not seen one valid argument against SSM, and most of the arguments involve someone's god, which I don't even believe in, and I don't think should have any influence in a secular society.

However--the more we tell the NO voters or the undecideds that they are homophobic, hateful, bigoted etc, the more firmly they dig their heels in. The only way to change their minds, in my opinion, is to treat them like the adults they are and try to humanise the situation. If that doesn't work, then we need our politicians to do what they were elected to do, and that is make decisions that treat *all* Australian people as humans who are equal under the law, not just the ones they approve of.

We saw in the US election that the more celebrities trotted out by Hillary, the more people were labelled as rednecks and racists, the more underground the Trump voters hid and the more division was created. I'd love to move away from 'us and them' and just be 'humans' but that will never happen while both sides are flinging insults and s**t at each other.

Well said, Mebby.

And may I add.... that's probably the most impressive post I have ever seen from a a pregnant flying vampire pig bat!

(Log in to remove this ad.)

That's a good'n MEB.

As with most things it seems, real, informed, opinion shaping debate is stifled...hijacked, by the stupid and sensationalist.

I'd totally vote yes if I believed in marriage and was on the electoral roll. I may have just outed myself Enemy Of The State style...

I'll start by saying I am firmly in the 'yes' camp. My aunt has been engaged to her partner for years waiting for SSM to come through. So I really cant wait fo hte day I can attend their wedding.

To be honest I don't really see an issue with the clubs statement. They basically said we beleive in equal rights and want to make that public knowledge, but arent going to shove our view down your throat.

The backlash they are receiving is outrageous. People labelling it disgusting are just being rediculous. The clubs statement is so far from disgusting its not funny. Homophobic statements are disgusting.

Personally I see no issue with the statement, but just because of the backlash I wish the club just didnt put any statement out at all.

The club should have just stayed out of the issue, a stance anyway alienates 2 out of the 3 people.
A yes stance alienates the no stance
A no stance alienates the yes stance
And any stance alienates the people who are sick of seeing organisations try to make I'll gotten gains out of political issues.
They can't win either way.

I voted yes but totally understand Carlton's statement.

They are a footy club not a political party. By blatantly making a statement pushing people to vote yes like some have they would be turning away some of their supporters.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back