Why can't Adelaide retain players?

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Well the hypocrites comment is justified.

It's all well and good for Adelaide to try poaching and a contracted Bryce Gibbs but when Melbourne tries to snag an out of contract Lever the club cracks a mega tantrum.

Excuse opposition supporters for thinking this is extremely ironic
So how many players do we have to give up before we're allowed one back?

Depends on how players leave clubs. There's good ways to do it.

Phil Davis for example, I'm sure Crows fans have no hard feelings towards. Same as Patrick Dangerfield deep down - or Charlie Cameron.

Do you hate Mitchell?

Lever has just been a knob from start to finish.
Davis copped a lot of boos during the final from Crows fans. From memory he wasn't even selected after indicating his interest in GWS. You have to be kidding about Dangerfield - go and read the Adelaide Board to see what they think of him.

Glad Mitchell has had a great season at Hawthorn. I really don't get the animosity of fans getting irate over an uncontracted player seeking a new home. They are perfectly within their right. As long as they give 110% on field, I see no issue

So how many players do we have to give up before we're allowed one back?
That's Adelaide's problem and fault - no other team suffers the same problem on a continuous basis. It's simply living in denial if Adelaide supporters cannot acknowledge there's an issue

The fact you say "allowed one back" speaks of entitlement and that the problem is outside the AFC

Well the hypocrites comment is justified.

It's all well and good for Adelaide to try poaching and a contracted Bryce Gibbs but when Melbourne tries to snag an out of contract Lever the club cracks a mega tantrum.

Excuse opposition supporters for thinking this is extremely ironic

We didn't try and poach him at all. HE wanted to come back to Adelaide so we tried to get him back here. He was under contract and SOS wanted two first rounders and we wouldn't pay. Fair enough to I respect Carlton for digging their hills in he still had 3 years left on his contract.
I don't hold any ill feeling towards Melbourne. It's Lever I'm disappointed in.

That's Adelaide's problem and fault - no other team suffers the same problem on a continuous basis. It's simply living in denial if Adelaide supporters cannot acknowledge there's an issue

The fact you say "allowed one back" speaks of entitlement and that the problem is outside the AFC
"Allowed one back" speaks of entitlement? Now you're talking out of your arse.
I'll rephrase - how many players do we have to give up before the BF numptidom won't accuse us of hypocrisy if we try to trade in a player?

We didn't try and poach him at all. HE wanted to come back to Adelaide so we tried to get him back here. He was under contract and SOS wanted two first rounders and we wouldn't pay. Fair enough to I respect Carlton for digging their hills in he still had 3 years left on his contract.
I don't hold any ill feeling towards Melbourne. It's Lever I'm disappointed in.
What exactly has Lever done wrong?

Like Gibbs he wants to go home too

"Allowed one back" speaks of entitlement? Now you're talking out of your arse.
I'll rephrase - how many players do we have to give up before the BF numptidom won't accuse us of hypocrisy if we try to trade in a player?
Maybe the numpties will lay off when the Crows numpties and Club don't combust when a player leaves.

That comment actually really pisses me off. You only have to read the Swans fans vehement defense of COLA and academies on countless BF threads to realise which fan base truly is "entitled"

What exactly has Lever done wrong?

Like Gibbs he wants to go home too

Because we showed faith drafting him with a dodgy knee, not long after that he has said he wanted to be a 10-15 year Adelaide player to repay the faith.Now after playing only 50 games he has bailed to Melbourne for money right when we are in the window to maybe get a flag.
I'm fully aware he is intitled to do that but it doesn't mean I have to like it. Just ask a Melbourne fan how they felt when Scully left for GWS.

Not sure why Adelaide supporters are getting into this s**t fight, you wont convince those that want to sink the boot in.
Personally, i'd take what has happened to your club as a positive in that for all the talent you've lost in the last 5 years, you still beat 16 other clubs to the last day in September.
I'm not sure any other club could overcome such a hurdle and I doubt if you still had all those stars that the A(V)FL would have let you win anyway.

Because we showed faith drafting him with a dodgy knee, not long after that he has said he wanted to be a 10-15 year Adelaide player to repay the faith.Now after playing only 50 games he has bailed to Melbourne for money right when we are in the window to maybe get a flag.
I'm fully aware he is intitled to do that but it doesn't mean I have to like it. Just ask a Melbourne fan how they felt when Scully left for GWS.
That's fair enough.

I guess the way I'd look at it is that you drafted a guy with risky knees, he made a great contribution getting you into a place where potentially you could win a flag and you'll likely receive two first round picks for him. Plus Adelaide have the depth to cover him. And as a bonus, you'll likely be able to re-sign Sloane sooner/attract a quality player with the cash freed up

Just seems like a massive overreaction from the Club and many supporters.

That's fair enough.

I guess the way I'd look at it is that you drafted a guy with risky knees, he made a great contribution getting you into a place where potentially you could win a flag and you'll likely receive two first round picks for him. Plus Adelaide have the depth to cover him. And as a bonus, you'll likely be able to re-sign Sloane sooner/attract a quality player with the cash freed up

The reason we are all melting so hard is he is really f**king good and regardless of compensation it's highly unlikely we will get someone as good.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I don't think so, you can only kick a dog(not calling Adelaide dogs) so many times before it bites your arse.
Lever watched the fallout of the Dangerfield debacle and would know full well how betraying the people who invested in him would play out.

You reap what you sow.

Having said that, I wouldn't waste anymore time on him than they have, get what they can for the flog and move onward and upward, there's far bigger fish to fry for the Adelaide Footy Club.
But if I were Lever, i'd be real careful where he puts his body when Adelaide meet Melbourne next year.

I don't think so, you can only kick a dog(not calling Adelaide dogs) so many times before it bites your arse.
Lever watched the fallout of the Dangerfield debacle and would know full well how betraying the people who invested in him would play out.

You reap what you sow.

Having said that, I wouldn't waste anymore time on him than they have, get what they can for the flog and move onward and upward, there's far bigger fish to fry for the Adelaide Footy Club.
But if I were Lever, i'd be real careful where he puts his body when Adelaide meet Melbourne next year.
Whatever way you look at it, the club uninviting Lever to the B&F is a massive overreaction

Because we showed faith drafting him with a dodgy knee, not long after that he has said he wanted to be a 10-15 year Adelaide player to repay the faith.

From experience, I never listen to a player who says that. Buddy used to feed us this s**t about being a Hawk for life as well. Money is far more important to the contemporary player than any false sense of club loyalty. One club players are rapidly becoming a thing of the past.

Whatever way you look at it, the club uninviting Lever to the B&F is a massive overreaction
Might have been a common sense move given how toxic this issue has turned in the last few days.

With all the criticism of Adelaide over Lever not attending (and beyond the spin who knows why the decision was really made or who made it), has it escaped everyone’s notice that Stringer was a no show at the Western Bulldogs B&F last night?

The reason we are all melting so hard is he is really f**king good and regardless of compensation it's highly unlikely we will get someone as good.

Highly unlikely straight out of the box, but whomever they get, there would be no better incentive for a young bloke looking to carve out a career than stepping up to fill his shoes and as Adelaide has proven, they know how to develop guns and will give that kid every opportunity to realise that dream.

When Kochie came on board at Port the first thing he said was he wanted Port to be a club that players wanted to be a part of, if we could do that off the back of Club119, you guys can turn it around, you've just got to make it a priority.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back