Why can't Adelaide retain players?

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Whatever way you look at it, the club uninviting Lever to the B&F is a massive overreaction

No, you'd only look at it like that if you're a w***er, why on earth would Adelaide want a bloke at its best and fairest who doesn't want to be a part of the club and why would Lever want to spend an evening in the company of people he has just turned his back on.

The only thing we come into this world with is integrity, it cant be taken from you if you don't allow it, but you can certainly give it away.
Lever traded his for a quick buck and is paying the price, that's it.

No, you'd only look at it like that if you're a ******, why on earth would Adelaide want a bloke at its best and fairest who doesn't want to be a part of the club and why would Lever want to spend an evening in the company of people he has just turned his back on.

The only thing we come into this world with is integrity, it cant be taken from you if you don't allow it, but you can certainly give it away.

You make a really good point.

I reckon the media here do a pretty good job of trying to be even. Port fans might might feel differently perhaps. I used to have a work colleague that called the local newspaper 'The Crowtiser'.
You actually serious?

2 crows ambassadors in a daily talk show on football 7 days a week? Read the advertiser before?

Why wouldn't you let lever be apart of a end of year celebration?

I thought it was a bit of a s**t move, but to quote one of your own supporters please see below explanation. I think this is why.

No, you'd only look at it like that if you're a ******, why on earth would Adelaide want a bloke at its best and fairest who doesn't want to be a part of the club and why would Lever want to spend an evening in the company of people he has just turned his back on.

You actually serious?

2 crows ambassadors in a daily talk show on football 7 days a week? Read the advertiser before?
I assume you're talking about 5AA? They should have 1 from each club.
And yes I have read the Advertiser before and I'm fairly certain that the Chief Football writer is a massive Port fan who hates the Crows.

Yeah I don't agree with it.

Smells of a hissy fit.

The bloke gave his all to the club THIS YEAR.. what he does next year is irrelevant and he should be apart of celebrations.

I agree dude but the explanation I quoted is what I think the reason is we uninvited him.

Strange analysis that the only thing we're born with is integrity.
What would you do if someone offered to double your pay?
Stay and work for half the price?

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I assume you're talking about 5AA? They should have 1 from each club.
And yes I have read the Advertiser before and I'm fairly certain that the Chief Football writer is a massive Port fan who hates the Crows.

To be fair we hate him as much (if not more) as you guys do.

I'm sure this has been well covered but there is something that doesn't sit right with me about the way the Crows players and staff have handled this for several reasons.

1) A captain publically, and privately bagging a teammate for leaving the club. Some will say it will galvinise the playing group, but it also has the potential to disrupt the playing group. Lever will undoubedly have mates at the club who aren't comfortable with his treatment. It may impact on their morale and subsequently their form.

2) A part of the playing group allegedy telling the club that Lever shouldn't play in the GF. Have they lost sight of the big picture? They should be focussed on winning a flag with the best available team rather than petty politics. It feels like arrogance.

3) Allegedly uninviting him to the B&F night is a pretty s**t move. It's a reflection on season 2017. He should be there as much as anybody.

4) He's a kid who didn't ask to get drafted to Adelaide, and he got a far superior offer to move home. It's a bit of a no brainer.

I understand Tex's leadership style, but I'm not a fan of the extremist loyaly and dedication - this is not war. Sure, it's an honour to play AFL and we all want to win, but at the end of the day, it's just sport and it's just one component of these people's lives.

Strange analysis that the only thing we're born with is integrity.
What would you do if someone offered to double your pay?
Stay and work for half the price?

Lets not confuse a normal work environment with being part of a Club which invests millions of dollars in building a side which competes on a platform that thousands of paying fans expect results from.
If I we're Lever i'd have repaid the investment Adelaide has made in him and be considered a person with integrity, there's plenty of time to make the big dollars when your career is over if you use what your given wisely
Look at Ricciuto, he's made more post career from smart business decisions than he could ever have got from football and is respected as a club legend.
He did the hard yards and was awarded the Captaincy and all that goes with it for his efforts.

Lever will be considered just another flog who put money before integrity, but he's not alone, the days of loyalty are numbered with the entitled generation.

Lets not confuse a normal work environment with being part of a Club which invests millions of dollars in building a side which competes on a platform that thousands of paying fans expect results from.
If I we're Lever i'd have repaid the investment Adelaide has made in him and be considered a person with integrity, there's plenty of time to make the big dollars when your career is over if you use what your given wisely.
Such a great club Adelaide are doing that out of the goodness of their own heart...wait, no they're not. They invested in an asset for 3 years for the benefit of their club, which they would have done regardless of who they drafted. If they wanted to retain that asset for longer, they should have contracted him for longer. It's pretty simple.

If your return on investment is not expected to be reached until well after their contract expires, and you're upset about it...that's your own mismanagement.

4) He's a kid who didn't ask to get drafted to Adelaide, and he got a far superior offer to move home. It's a bit of a no brainer.

Yeah, he didn't ask for the pay packet either, but I'm sure he didn't mind spending it.
You are right though, he's definitely a no brainer!

I heard the interview he never said we have a s**t culture. You don't make a GF having s**t culture at a club.

Since 1999 every club outside of the two expansion clubs have made the GF- culture has not much to do with it- just the AFL's equalisation model working...I would say offering someone 300k when they have a market value of around 750k is a subset of a s**t culture.

Such a great club Adelaide are doing that out of the goodness of their own heart...wait, no they're not. They invested in an asset for 3 years for the benefit of their club, which they would have done regardless of who they drafted. If they wanted to retain that asset for longer, they should have contracted him for longer. It's pretty simple.

If your return on investment is not expected to be reached until well after their contract expires, and you're upset about it...that's your own mismanagement.

He's a bloke with a dodgy knee, do you think Sydney made a wise decision with Tippets contract considering his ongoing issues?
Adelaide took that punt and made him part of a very successful team providing him with a chance to play on the biggest stage early in his career, that's a lot to turn your back on.
How would he have gone had Melbourne drafter him at the start, one less GF appearance for starters, you cant buy that experience.

He's a bloke with a dodgy knee, do you think Sydney made a wise decision with Tippets contract considering his ongoing issues?
Adelaide took that punt and made him part of a very successful team providing him with a chance to play on the biggest stage early in his career, that's a lot to turn your back on.
Adelaide did that because he's best 22, possibly best 10. Not because they were giving a kid a crack or for experience.

Your post makes no sense. Do you think he had the expectation that he was playing for free? He had every right to be paid.
Of coarse he expected to be paid, are you saying when he nominated for the draft he expected to stay in Melbourne, if that's the case, he's very naïve.
When you elect for the draft you put yourself at the mercy of whomever picks you up, do you think players should be allowed to elect the state they are drafted too as well, after all, he didn't ask to go to Adelaide.
Most people would be humbled to be given a chance to play AFL football and in days gone by they repaid that faith.
Adelaide showed a lot of faith in Danger by allowing him to stay in Vic at the start of his career and he repaid them with 8 years of service, no problems, I'm sure he would have rather stayed in Victoria but that's not how the draft works or it wouldn't work at all.

Adelaide did that because he's best 22, possibly best 10. Not because they were giving a kid a crack or for experience.
And if he'd gone down in his first game would he still be best 22?
That's the gamble they took and it paid off, but history is full of bad luck stories which in hindsight look like bad decisions at management level, Tippet being the most significant in recent memory.

Now, how about you answer the line you conveniently overlooked at the end of the posts you quoted.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back