List Mgmt. Trade & F.A. 2017 (if a scenario sounds wrong - read on before posting)

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yup the bit of ray of hope we can cling to is pull of family, teen dream of being a pie, playing in hopefully on the way up team.

But that is a whole lot of coin to stay put (rumoured 2mil pa), we would have to be looking at 1-1.4 mil contract and maybe 250k endorsement (outside cap ala judd and Visy) deal, just to get him interested you would think (and on field improvement to show we are contenders).

Where's the $1 million a year from the AFL coming from? I thought it $1 million over 5 years? I recall that was the quote from brother rompingwins at the time. So different to what Hunt and Folau got.

We have drafted poorly really. Not even in terms of the players we have taken but for our needs. Caleb Marchbank went the pick after DeGoey. Im not saying DeGoey might not be a good player but you need to draft KPP early then Mids. Even if we take a KPP in this draft half our team will have retired by the time they come into their prime.

In a rebuild draft your KPP then Mids and hope they all come good around the same time.

I said I agree with you but Dusty could have gone to North Melbourne also for a s**t load more $.

Being a Pies Premiership player is an intangible in dollar terms after retirement.

I went to a sportsman lunch and Daicos was guest speaker with Swan a couple years ago.

Daicos said he has yet to buy a drink at a bar since 1990. :D

Lol I get your point mate, just not talking apples and oranges with amount he stands to lose if he moves.

Just on Dusty he was offered rumoured 7 years @ 1.4 -1.5m from North but took 1.2-1.3 from tigers to stay thats relatively in the same ball park (100-200k much like Cloke took to stay a pie in his prime).

Lynch we are likely talking 1.25 -1.6 mil max (with endorsments) from pies or 2 mil from GC/AFL. Anywhere from 400-750k a year diff. Thats a LOT over 5 years (2mil -3.75 mil pay cut).

The way his manager talked in that recent interview where he said that Lynch would be looking at the new coach and what kind of success he can have at GC says to me that while money is important, it is a secondary consideration for him. That means he’s gettable regardless of the cash Gillon wants to throw at him.

My biggest fear if he does move to us is the reprisal of the AFL. We saw how they cracked the shits when Buddy went to Sydney and imposed trade restrictions on them and took away COLA. I just know if we take Lynch from their weaker baby that they’ll change something in the rules to **** us over down the track. Probably try to find a way to take Nick Daicos away as a FS selection or something ludicrous...
COLA was an imposition on the rest of the competition from the start and the infuriated howls from the rest of the comp when the Swans used it to secure Buddy are a counterpoint to your supposition of the AFL cracking it.

Where's the $1 million a year from the AFL coming from? I thought it $1 million over 5 years? I recall that was the quote from brother rompingwins at the time. So different to what Hunt and Folau got.

1 mil is coming from journos after doing some "investigating" its p.a. not per contract.

Why would it be an issue/story if it was only 200k a season extra? any team in the league can offer 250k endorsment deals outside the cap to trump it.

COLA was an imposition on the rest of the competition from the start and the infuriated howls from the rest of the comp when the Swans used it to secure Buddy are a counterpoint to your supposition of the AFL cracking it.
More of a good excuse than a counterpoint imo. The afl have never cared about what the clubs want, if they did they would have abolished Sydney’s COLA way earlier.

We get Lynch........and the best KPP this year and throw in a Watts and we are in contention.

The GCS list is poo........have a good look at it Roverjg.
I am not disputing the quality of the Suns list. But in the past 4 years we have recruited Adams, Treloar, Howe, Aish, Dunn, WHE, Wells in addition to our list of Grundy, Sidey, Pendles and yet we are where we are. When looking st the 2 teams, the Suns have a reason for their predicament. ..we less so

Go watch the interview with Machlaclan. The AFL have a large paying Ambassador role for Lynch on the proviso he stays a GC player. Falou and Hunts Ambassador roles were paid up to a mil per year AFL is desperate to keep lynch at GC.

Here read this it will give you an idea on the money they are talking. 1mil contract and 1 mil Ambassador role. 2 mil pa player. Good luck matching that and not destroying your cap.

http://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/sp...k=adfbe9ebf4db338ee493e3a3ef888869-1507354394
If a trade request was lodged this October, the trade would be near impossible, for Lynch is the future of this football club.
can't get the link to work, who wrote that?

We have drafted poorly really. Not even in terms of the players we have taken but for our needs. Caleb Marchbank went the pick after DeGoey. Im not saying DeGoey might not be a good player but you need to draft KPP early then Mids. Even if we take a KPP in this draft half our team will have retired by the time they come into their prime.

In a rebuild draft your KPP then Mids and hope they all come good around the same time.

Peter Wright and Jake Lever would also been just as Good Picks

On Gill offer of Ambassador to Lynch, it’s another example of the AFL doing what they can to stymie the Pies getting another flag.

They changed the priority pick after we double dipped on Thomas and Pendles, they were pissed off that we overcame the Saints, they changed the rules to gut the rotation strategy, they strip $ out for a fictional equalisation theory and they will definitely not want Lynch anywhere near us in 2019 when the pressure will be ramped up on Eddie and Bucks to deliver.

The AFL giveth and taketh as they see fit.

The Lions juggernaut of 2 sides, Qld priority picks, and extended cap lasted until they failed to convert the Pies record 4. The Dogs won - the 2nd man up rule changes to neutralise Bont; COLA was mandatory until Swans beat the Hawks; Bombers enough said; the Suns could strip players from other sides but the teams wised up and pre-signed all the best; the GWS was given ridiculous amount of picks but where are their young leaders (thx Maxy for coming home rather than mentoring them);
the academies were to build super sides but it turned the draft into a farce; free agency was big news at first but oh no the AFL had to push back on compensation value funnily just after Pies (and others) had a string of great picks; in 2017 prelim we saw the incredulous MRP condone the very thing the AFL has spent 5 years changing tackle rules trying to prevent; remember the there is no tanking until North and Dockers shoved it in their face so we got a weeks downtime that actually benefits no body.

I could go on with other examples but my concern is that the suggested Ambassador thing with Lynch is a blatant attempt to change the RFA equation in favour of an AFL run club so much so in conversation with some lawyer friends that it could be viewers as restraint of trade; but then again the AFL do what they want.

I really hope Lynch wants the true glory of an footballer which is to be immortalised in history cause playing for $ he will quickly fade into obscurity.

Last edited:
Only salary and that is largely due to AFL see Machlaclan stepping in and doubling his wage. Trade wise similar to treloar.

There is no way known he will be a pie unless he moves for a lot less money, really this is a moot point. Pies have been courting him for 2 years and were looking like getting their man (just quietly) until the AFL stepped in with this ludicrous salary rort.

In terms of trade it would likely be 2 firsts, maybe due to the strength of 2018 draft we may have squeezed out a 2nd back like in the Treloar trade.
But at the end of the day any way you cut it Treloar cost us 2 first round picks (double pick 7) and pick 62, not 1 and a half firsts (like many on here try to fool themselves) becuase we got a 2nd back (a pick in the 30s). We lost acess to 2 pick 7s and gained a pick 30 with Treloar.

I'd love him to become a Pie and I'd probably go two firsts for him, but I don't value draft choices anywhere near as highly as many do. I think Kennedy and Roughhead were good comparisons, because that's the level I can see him getting to and maintaining. I just think all the talk of huge salary AND huge trade cost is over the top - that's for guys like Nick Riewoldt and Buddy Franklin - a level that I don't think Lynch will get to.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

We need to make the 8 and win a final to put any other Victorian team out of contention for Lynch’s signature.

Who would be our biggest threats should Lynch suggest that he wants to come to Victoria? Richmond, Essendon, Bulldogs, Hawthorn, Geelong?

I am not disputing the quality of the Suns list. But in the past 4 years we have recruited Adams, Treloar, Howe, Aish, Dunn, WHE, Wells in addition to our list of Grundy, Sidey, Pendles and yet we are where we are. When looking st the 2 teams, the Suns have a reason for their predicament. ..we less so

Different argument for a different thread.

To me Lynch is the missing link.....happy to wait till 2019.....fu&k the AFL.

Lol I get your point mate, just not talking apples and oranges with amount he stands to lose if he moves.

Just on Dusty he was offered rumoured 7 years @ 1.4 -1.5m from North but took 1.2-1.3 from tigers to stay thats relatively in the same ball park (100-200k much like Cloke took to stay a pie in his prime).

Lynch we are likely talking 1.25 -1.6 mil max (with endorsments) from pies or 2 mil from GC/AFL. Anywhere from 400-750k a year diff. Thats a LOT over 5 years (2mil -3.75 mil pay cut).

As we have discussed previously I don't care what our players are paid.

It's the accountants at our Club that have to make it work.

I think Ned Guy will earn his keep if he gets Lynch over the line.

I still disagree that Lynch will be in it for the money.......he isn't Ablett.

On Gill offer of Ambassador to Lynch, it’s another example of the AFL doing what they can to stymie the Pies getting another flag. They changed the priority pick after we double dipped on Thomas and Pendles, they were pissed off that we overcame the Saints, they changed the rules to gut the rotation strategy, they strip $ out for a fictional equalisation theory and they will definitely not want Lynch anywhere near us in 2019 when the pressure will be ramped up on Eddie and Bucks to deliver.
The AFL giveth and taketh as they see fit. The Lions juggernaut of 2 sides, Qld priority picks, and extended cap lasted until they failed to convert the Pies record 4. The Dogs won - the 2nd man up rule changes to neutralise Bont; COLA was mandatory until Swans beat the Hawks; Bombers enough said; the Suns could strip players from other sides but the teams wised up and pre-signed all the best; the GWS was given ridiculous amount of picks but where are their young leaders (thx Maxy for coming home rather than mentoring them); the academies were to build super sides but it turned the draft into a farce; free agency was big news at first but oh no the AFL had to push back on compensation value funnily just after Pies (and others) had a string of great picks; in 2017 prelim we saw the incredulous MRP condone the very thing the AFL has spent 5 years changing tackle rules trying to prevent; remember the there is no tanking until North and Dockers shoved it in their face so we got a weeks downtime that actually benefits no body.
I could go on with other examples but my concern is that the suggested Ambassador thing with Lynch is a blatant attempt to change the RFA equation in favour of an AFL run club so much so in conversation with some lawyer friends that it could be viewers as restraint of trade; but then again the AFL do what they want.
I really hope Lynch wants the true glory of an footballer which is to be immortalised in history cause playing for $ he will quickly fade into obscurity.

Paragraphs and spaces dude.....edit please.

Hence he could be good at being a list manager. I agree with you. Players that he has been happy to move on haven’t really kicked on at their new clubs. Shaw might be the exception, but even then when you consider the second half of 2017, he seems to have fallen off the pace a bit.

Shaw and beams the most notable exceptions but those two trades turned into adams de goey greenwood and crisp.

The only other decent player he seems to have lost is witts and that’s because he played a specialty position on the ground and couldn’t get a look in ahead of Grundy.

If we wanted to throw someone a lifeline via the rookie draft and add to our kpp prospects then we should look at Tyler Keitel.

Ultimately he mightn't be good enough for AFL level but he hasn't got an opportunity in an AFL system either so let's see.

To make the WAFL team of the year 2 years running and at opposite ends of the ground is a achievement worthy of a rookie opportunity I would have thought.
Rated him in his draft year I would take him

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back