Revisiting the 2014 AFL draft

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Toby McLean has done more than what De Goey has done so far. Pies fans rate him so highly but he's on a similar level to the McLean, Blakely, Weller, Steele types rather than Heeney and Petracca. Both on output and potential.

In terms of output so far Daniel is ahead of De Goey. However if I had a choice of player I'd take De Goey. Think he has more upside.
If I was making a choice between these, I would opt for Toby McLean instead.

McLean is the big improver this year despite being a solid premiership contributor in 2016

Toby McLean has done more than what De Goey has done so far. Pies fans rate him so highly but he's on a similar level to the McLean, Blakely, Weller, Steele types rather than Heeney and Petracca. Both on output and potential.
https://www.footywire.com/afl/footy...ayerStatus2=A&tid2=17&pid2=4026&fid2=C&type=A

https://www.footywire.com/afl/footy...ayerStatus2=A&tid2=17&pid2=4026&fid2=C&type=A

Garbage. JDG's numbers are close to on par with both Heeney and Petracca. Will he be as good as them over the course of their careers? Maybe not, but to say that DeGoeys output is a level below those boys to this point is disingenuous.

Garbage. JDG's numbers are close to on par with both Heeney and Petracca. Will he be as good as them over the course of their careers? Maybe not, but to say that DeGoeys output is a level below those boys to this point is disingenuous.
I'll accept that and say that others rate the other two higher based on potential.

https://www.footywire.com/afl/footy...2=17&type=A&pid1=4057&pid2=4026&fid1=C&fid2=C

https://www.footywire.com/afl/footy...d2=5&type=A&pid1=4057&pid2=4043&fid1=C&fid2=C

Looking at this, McLean is ahead of both Heeney and De Goey based on output and is already a premiership player. From what I've seen I don't see why his potential would be more limited than the other two so I often wonder why he isn't rated higher.

I'll accept that and say that others rate the other two higher based on potential.

https://www.footywire.com/afl/footy...2=17&type=A&pid1=4057&pid2=4026&fid1=C&fid2=C

https://www.footywire.com/afl/footy...d2=5&type=A&pid1=4057&pid2=4043&fid1=C&fid2=C

Looking at this, McLean is ahead of both Heeney and De Goey based on output and is already a premiership player. From what I've seen I don't see why his potential would be more limited than the other two so I often wonder why he isn't rated higher.
Can't comment on McLean because I haven't watched enough of him, but I know that Pies fans rate JDG's potential because he was more raw than Heeney or Petracca at draft time. From what Derek Hine said at the time he was drafted he'd spent significantly less time in the TAC system than the likes of Heeney/Brayshaw/Petracca, so the scope for development was sky high. Whether or not that comes to fruition is anyone's guess. There are some rumours going around that JDG has had some monster offers from other clubs though, so it seems that those who recruit for a living rate him pretty highly.

No where near the top 20 ATM, but Jarrod Pickett will rocket up this list if he can stay injury free, kid has some serious pace and all the tricks to go with it, kicked 2 goals on the weekend and was very unlucky to not finish with 4.

No where near the top 20 ATM, but Jarrod Pickett will rocket up this list if he can stay injury free, kid has some serious pace and all the tricks to go with it, kicked 2 goals on the weekend and was very unlucky to not finish with 4.
I agree. I was sad that we couldn't snare him last year along with Ahern, but Carlton got him. You guys got him for an absolute bargain as well. Oh well can't complain really, we got Paul for basically nothing.

I agree. I was sad that we couldn't snare him last year along with Ahern, but Carlton got him. You guys got him for an absolute bargain as well. Oh well can't complain really, we got Paul for basically nothing.

Think part of the reason we got him so cheap, was because we took Palmer as a salary dump.
Really rated him highly in his draft year, he has that rare combo of absolutely explosive pace and is highly skilled with ball in hand.
Wasn't expecting much from him this year TBH, because the kid had missed a heap of footy and was coming off a pretty serious injury, so really stoked that he's managed to break into our seniors and seems to be getting better and more confidents with every game.

Also rate Ahern, if you guys can get him up and going and keep him healthy, will fit into Norths midfield perfectly.

yeah pretty disappointed the eagles couldn't lure him home. He's the type of player eagles haven't had for a while and can't develop properly. He's also the type that carve us up and i thought he played really well when the blues played us a fortnight ago.

Tier 1:

1. Christian Petracca (Imo, a fair bit ahead of Heeney, Petracca has been shown to be a clear game-winner, Heeney isn't up to that level yet)
2. Isaac Heeney

Tier 2:
3. Peter Wright
4. Jake Lever
5. Darcy Moore (Have him ahead of Andrews simply because he's a KPF, which are much, much harder to fine than KPDs.)
6. Harris Andrews (Still undecided on him, he was molested by Brown recently, but beats some very good opponents, needs more consistent performances to move higher)

Tier 3:
7. Jordan De Goey (Hard to see him not dominating next season, happy to cop whatever roast if this isn't true by the end of next season)
8. Caleb Marchbank
9. Jack Steele
10. Osccar Mcdonald

Very good KPP depth, sub-par draft overall. The key position players are all shaping up very nicely, and are ahead of expectation.

Tier 1:

1. Christian Petracca (Imo, a fair bit ahead of Heeney, Petracca has been shown to be a clear game-winner, Heeney isn't up to that level yet)
2. Isaac Heeney

Tier 2:
3. Peter Wright
4. Jake Lever
5. Darcy Moore (Have him ahead of Andrews simply because he's a KPF, which are much, much harder to fine than KPDs.)
6. Harris Andrews (Still undecided on him, he was molested by Brown recently, but beats some very good opponents, needs more consistent performances to move higher)

Tier 3:
7. Jordan De Goey (Hard to see him not dominating next season, happy to cop whatever roast if this isn't true by the end of next season)
8. Caleb Marchbank
9. Jack Steele
10. Osccar Mcdonald

Very good KPP depth, sub-par draft overall. The key position players are all shaping up very nicely, and are ahead of expectation.
Nice to see Oscar get some recognition, doesn't evenget it from Melbourne fans but he's a very solid defender. We did well out of this draft hopefully with Lever to come in too.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Tier 1:

2. Isaac Heeney

Tier 2:
3. Peter Wright
4. Jake Lever

Tier 3:
8. Caleb Marchbank
9. Jack Steele
10. Osccar Mcdonald

You dont rate Mitch McGovern

Have next to no faith in McCartin bursting into top 10 contention next season.

Hopefully he can just stay fit and play 20 games of senior footy.

Petracca and Lever will continue to improve.

DeGoey looks ominous with his head right.

Sinclair for the Sainters hopefully pushes into top 20 coming from the rookie draft.

1506844464427.jpg

Petracca, Brayshaw, Lever, Neal-Bullen, O McDonald & Stretch.

Finally we nailed a draft
Big reason why things have turned around and finals is well and truly on the agenda now. 1 great draft gives a team a big leg up!! That is what we are pinning our hopes on in the next few years.

Big reason why things have turned around and finals is well and truly on the agenda now. 1 great draft gives a team a big leg up!! That is what we are pinning our hopes on in the next few years.
Yep. You need to nail the mid and late draft picks as well

Tier 1:

2. Isaac Heeney

Tier 2:
3. Peter Wright
4. Jake Lever

Tier 3:
8. Caleb Marchbank
9. Jack Steele
10. Osccar Mcdonald

Bookmark Harris Andrews to be a Tier 1 player mate. Is an absolute gun. Would be a huge name already if playing in Victoria. Future AA and captain of Brisbane.

Our 3 picks, Durdin, Neilsen & Vickers-Willis, have only just emerged and all show the capability to be 200 game players.

The jury is out on Paul Ahern, but if he stays fit, then he could also get in to that group. Preuss in the rookie draft was excellent icing.

I'm very happy with our 2014 draft considering the picks we had. We just need another 3 years to see where they will all land in the overall 2014 picture.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back