Roast Motlop Meltdown. Was this an all time best?

Remove this Banner Ad

If you are in the window, as both clubs are, who would you prefer Gibson and Gibbs OR Motlop, Watts and Rockliff?

Unfortunately though, it's the OUTS that continue to hurt the AFC NOW.

Strange post. The wash up is effectively Milera and Gore vs Ebert - I know who I would choose.
No it's not ... It's:
  • 154 games of Dangerfield + 24 games of Milera vs 213 games of Ebert (assuming if we drafted him he would play his whole career at AFC)
  • Ebert is almost 28 at the start of the 2018 season vs Milera is 20 at the start of the 2018 season
I know which scenario I would choose.

I didn't care either way and didn't post on Motlop at all, but I'm interested as to how you can determine the meltdown to be unnecessary at this very early juncture. There's a couple of loonies on this board that love posting about meltdowns. It's as if they think they're superior because they don't have any strong contradictory views. You know the type, agree with everything the club does and think that makes them intelligent instead of the dullards they actually are. Not saying you're one of them.
No one knows what the future holds my friend, I never alluded to what he may do going forward. But what we can always do is look backwards. And when you look backwards at that guy, you see one of the AFL's most berated and inconsistent players that at 26 year old (turning 27 before the season) and 135 games still seems to barely know what position he plays.

And if you look backwards in here, there were people furious we didn't pay that guy better then probably 80-90% of the players on our roster. That to me is a pretty accurate way to measure how unnecessary this meltdown was.

You may have a different opinion and that's ok, i'm not forcing mine on you, this was just a avenue for us all to have a laugh and take the piss out of each other anyway...

If you are in the window, as both clubs are, who would you prefer Gibson and Gibbs OR Motlop, Watts and Rockliff?

Unfortunately though, it's the OUTS that continue to hurt the AFC NOW.

I really can't understand why we had no interest in Rockliff. No cost outside of salary cap, seems absurd to not be interested. Watts I rate, but not really fussed, the last thing we need is to go even taller.

I really can't understand why we had no interest in Rockliff. No cost outside of salary cap, seems absurd to not be interested. Watts I rate, but not really fussed, the last thing we need is to go even taller.
Think there is a lot of work going into some pretty substantial in house contracts going on behind doors at the AFC. I heard Rocky was on around $800K or something crazy like that. Our list those $$ will be vital in retaining MCrouch, Sloane, and Laird next year.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

No it's not ... It's:
  • 154 games of Dangerfield + 24 games of Milera vs 213 games of Ebert (assuming if we drafted him he would play his whole career at AFC)
  • Ebert is almost 28 at the start of the 2018 season vs Milera is 20 at the start of the 2018 season
I know which scenario I would choose.

I respectively disagree. Given Dangerfield never won us a premiership and in the end netted us Milera and Gore it's a mute point. I don't see any benefit to the AFC in having Dangerfield on the books for 154 games who ultimately abandoned us in our hour of need.

We are on our premiership window NOW so you have the choice between Ebert (finished equal 13th in the brownlow) OR Milera and Gore? Who do you choose? I reckon 9 out of 10 supporters from opposition clubs would choose Ebert.

I've spent enough time reading the Geelong board to know they've spent years complaining about him. He'd be worth picking up if you could get him cheap but on a big contract? Hell no.

This really is a poxy thread and a year too early to LOL.

You might want to wait until we see him play in 2018 and whether our side would have benefited with him in our team before patting yourself on the back for staying cool.

The club felt they needed him hence our chasing him.

I have a feeling I might be bumping this thread next year.

Quoted because poxy is an underutilised adjective

Not even in the same league as Danger or Tippett.

Motlop was a category 1 meltdown.
You're probably right but to be fair Danger was a gun, and Tippett looked every bit the part back then, those meltdowns were granted to me. Motlop on the other hand....

I respectively disagree. Given Dangerfield never won us a premiership and in the end netted us Milera and Gore it's a mute point. I don't see any benefit to the AFC in having Dangerfield on the books for 154 games who ultimately abandoned us in our hour of need.

We are on our premiership window NOW so you have the choice between Ebert (finished equal 13th in the brownlow) OR Milera and Gore? Who do you choose? I reckon 9 out of 10 supporters from opposition clubs would choose Ebert.
For future reference it's moot not mute, easy mistake lots of people make :)

Also Gore is gone isn't he?

But back to the point ...

What if Ebert defected to Power at the same stage he left West Coast? If you want to compare apples and apples. Maybe that's where he was always going to end up (could you imagine that thread - Ebert leaving to Power - holy toledo!!!)

Maybe taking Geelong's first round pick that year helped the club this year? Lots of variables.

I do agree that the ultimate weighing of trades / drafts is if they delivered a premiership ... but when you are comparing two players that have not done that in their careers, surely you need to include all of their games in any comparison?

Tell me which thread isn't "quality" to the standard you're hoping for? Maybe you can do a tutorial thread on "what makes a thread quality, so I won't bash it".
Maybe don’t start a thread every time a thought enters your head.

As for bash, I was referring to your post in this thread that I quoted “usual suspects”.

I was more or less ambivalent about it. In the back of my mind, I did wonder if we missed out to a certain extent.

And then somebody posted this:

9dca3225fa12678e53af40ea688d01e3

And I felt relieved.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back