Roast Motlop Meltdown. Was this an all time best?

Remove this Banner Ad

Sometimes it's a very fine line between 2 extremes - the Power were lauded A+ for their trade period and we were a C-
Yet it seems we went very close to getting Motlop - and if that had occurred ie +Motlop+Gibbs+Gibson compared to Powers' +Rockliff+Watts then we go A+ and they go B- or C+
I don't understand what these ratings are about. For me the Trade Period is about improving your lost and/or positioning in the draft. Not just the "names" you bring in.

For us we lost Cameron and Lever, gained Gibbs and Gibson. Now in terms of playing list that is a downgrade in the backline. But a massive boost in the middle. Overall list it is probably a break even. As we still have guys to cover Lever's role and Cameron is very inconsistent.

In terms of draft position we have upgraded our first round position in 2017 and now have two picks in the first round with a possible early first round pick.

Both areas are positive outcomes. B+ IMO

For Port.
Rockliff is a big in. I rate the guy and feel he will do well with Ryder. His best seasons have been when Stefan Martin has been playing well. He is worth being one of their highest paid players. Motlop is a Geelong discard. Very inconsistent and lacks professional drive. Watts is a Melbourne discard, is a punt and they paid the right price for him.

They traded out all of their mature depth players and a former first round pick for peanuts. Their overall list is far weaker now, especially in Ruck and KPP.

They did not improve their early draft position and have a swag of late round picks. Which were procured from giving away their depth players. These picks are speculative at best.

Much like their club ethos/culture, they brought in some nice shiny "names" but did nothing to improve their sustainability and have gone backwards in this regard. C+ at best.

How can anyone rate their Trade Period as an A+ and us a C- is quite amusing when you look at the bigger picture and purpose of the Trade Period.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

I don't understand what these ratings are about. For me the Trade Period is about improving your lost and/or positioning in the draft. Not just the "names" you bring in.

For us we lost Cameron and Lever, gained Gibbs and Gibson. Now in terms of playing list that is a downgrade in the backline. But a massive boost in the middle. Overall list it is probably a break even. As we still have guys to cover Lever's role and Cameron is very inconsistent.

In terms of draft position we have upgraded our first round position in 2017 and now have two picks in the first round with a possible early first round pick.

For Port.
Rockliff is a big in. I rate the guy and feel he will do well with Ryder. His best seasons have been when Stefan Martin has been playing well. He is worth being one of their highest paid players. Motlop is a Geelong discard. Very inconsistent and lacks professional drive. Watts is a Melbourne discard, is a punt and they paid the right price for him.

They traded out all of their mature depth players and a former first round pick for peanuts. Their overall list is far weaker now, especially in Ruck and KPP.

They did not improve their early draft position and have a swag of late round picks. Which were procured from giving away their depth players. These picks are speculative at best.

Much like their club ethos/culture, they brought in some nice shiny "names" but did nothing to improve their sustainability and have gone backwards in this regard. C+ at best.

How can anyone rate their Trade Period as an A+ and us a C- is quite amusing when you look at the bigger picture and purpose of the Trade Period.

QUOTE]

For Port.

As much as we hate them, the PAP did well this year and last. They exchanged picks last year and move 2 players in. They targeted players this year and all they lost was a second round pick.
We have brought in a gun but at what cost? It will be interesting seeing how those picks go in future.[/[/QUOTE]

As much as we hate them, the PAP did well this year and last. They exchanged picks last year and move 2 players in. They targeted players this year and all they lost was a second round pick.
We have brought in a gun but at what cost? It will be interesting seeing how those picks go in future.[/
[/QUOTE]They did well last year with SPP and Marshall.

But on balance this year, I dont think so great.

I guess if they only need to use 25 players next year they will be fine.....

... We have brought in a gun but at what cost? It will be interesting seeing how those picks go in future.
Was going to write that it would be hard to know as we would likely have picked different players but in the case of pick 10, we can just compare players picked at 10, 11 & 12 having gouged out pick 12 from the Lions. Pick 16 would be much harder to tell.

We have brought in a gun but at what cost? It will be interesting seeing how those picks go in future.

Disagree. They didn't "target" them at all. They picked up players that were let go. Target implies they set themselves to pick up player type A,B or C.

Either they were incredibly lucky that the 3 areas they needed players has been met by these rejects, or, as I surmise, they have picked them up to make it look like they are "doing " something to give the kooladers hope. Also using the "invented new roles" for them to explain why they'll do well at Port but why they were s**t at their old clubs.

http://www.afl.com.au/news/2017-10-08/cats-fans-season-verdict-motlop-cops-it
upload_2017-10-29_14-53-41.png

If these inclusions were suggested during the middle of the year you would have thought it was insane1
Also, don't discount the only thing they really want to hang their hat on was this whole "Destination" club rubbish.

"Destination" clubs don't have 6 players walk. Another "look over here " manouvre.

They did well last year with SPP and Marshall.

But on balance this year, I dont think so great.

I guess if they only need to use 25 players next year they will be fine.....

Yeah it was an interesting period of them.

They lost heaps of their depth between positions 19-30 on their list.

Trengove, Impey, White, Ahchee, Young and Lobbe have all been either guys that start on the bench or are the first to come in when someone is dropped/injured.

If they get a few injuries I can see things falling apart very quickly for them next year.

Last edited:

For Port.

I recently got called by a bloke to quote some crazy renovations. After wasting an hour of my time I noted the bloke had a @news.com email. He said he was a journalist, had also worked at the Advertiser a few years ago. I asked him “how’s that going for you”. Well he had the bright idea to make money from renovating his house as the journalism gig is dying. As such.
He said now “they still need content”.
I took that as make any s**t up.

Said by every troll ever. Good call ;)
The point previously made was if a thread was bad it would result in ignorance. Troll threads are different in that they elicit negative feelings amongst the majority of the board. If you consider a thread pointless/s**t, then ignore it. If a thread generates discussions to wither away time, then it serves it's primary purpose - discussions.

I recently got called by a bloke to quote some crazy renovations. After wasting an hour of my time I noted the bloke had a @news.com email. He said he was a journalist, had also worked at the Advertiser a few years ago. I asked him “how’s that going for you”. Well he had the bright idea to make money from renovating his house as the journalism gig is dying. As such.
Yes, always take news/articles with a grain of salt. The competition for quicker news and better sensationalism, often gets in the way of 100% honesty.

Gee, making money from house renovations. Has that been on television lately ??? Proves that you don't need to be intelligent either to work as a journalist !!

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Disagree with the evaluation of motlop. Geelong is not known for it's ability to develop indigenous interstate draftees.

Port have a long history of doing things with his talent. He could settle at port much like betts settled here.

Disagree with the evaluation of motlop. Geelong is not known for it's ability to develop indigenous interstate draftees.

Port have a long history of doing things with his talent.
Neade, Amon, Toumpas, Impey, Ah Chee all disagree with you. Wingard has seriously regressed on what he showed early. Port haven't maximised on the talent of a player in the last 10+ years.

Reading back to some of the last pages of the Motlop thread, there wasn't any obvious "melt" by us. Seems like more of Port trolls invading and gloating all over the thread, and it became more a Port/Crows banter, rather than any discussions of any substance.
It was substantial banter.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back