Poll: Who's your favourite Crow of all time?

Who's your favourite Crow of all time?

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Is there a BF/Adelaide Jordan Dawson and Tex Walker AA Selection Appreciation Thread?

(No doubt many posters above are amazed that not a single Darcy Fogarty made even the squad :confusedv1: )

Bunj
Modra
Rupert
Tyson Edwards
Eddie

David Mackay. What a champion of the game.

Andrew McLeod is the greatest Crow of all time to date, and will be pretty hard to match.

Favourite of all time... Eddie.

Greatest player of all time...Roo (but DJ won the flags)

Greatest Crow of all time... TAYLOR WALKER!!!

Apologies to all other contenders...

Tex
Modra
D Jarman
Roo
McLeod

Eddie
I've had more time to think about my Crow faves.
It really falls into categories --- best skills, most eye-catching, freakish ability etc.

My appreciation of Ricciuto has diminished over time, because since his playing career I think he's done more harm to the Club than good. It's a bit unfair of me. I was surprised when he 'won' that Brownlow, shared with Buckley and Goodes, but his AA (X8!!) record is proof of sustained excellence. Funny, but the thing I remember him most for is those long L-handed handballs, better than many others' foot-passes.
McLeod was to me the silkiest, smoothest mover, with skills so refined and natural he made what he did look effortless. Great team man (played well with Edwards in spite of the off-field dramas) and played without ego.
DJarman was another who made the brilliant look easy; great candy-seller and kick.
Modra was a drawcard, a showpiece of the game, a speccy-hanger exponent who brought crowds to their feet whether they barracked for the Crows or not. Tough that he missed out on the 97/98 Flags.

There's only one Eddie, and very few comparable to him. His anticipation/positioning, speed, second-and-third efforts and those goals from impossible positions/angles??? Freakish, awesome, jaw-dropping.
I've seen this many times, but it's still amazing:

But after all that, I have most bro-love for Tex. Maybe not as brilliant as some of the others but watching him grow from that goofy, guileless Broken Hill kid into the Club-and-family man he is now has been a treat.
He's retained a lot of that affable, Country-style boyish charm but jeez he can kick a goal, hand a few out as well, and to have his best Season after 16 years is just amazing.
Tex personifies Club man spirit and team leadership.
I hope he can play well again in 2024 and 2025 (and maybe snag a Premiership in his Final year :rolleyesv1: :sneaky:).

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

This is an excerpt from a famous , but long, speech given in 1910 by President Roosevelt. This particular excerpt has become legend and hangs in many military establishments and sporting clubs around the world. I even saw it on the wall of a professor. To me, it exemplifies everything that Tex is. Enjoy

The Man in the Arena

"It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better.
The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood; who strives valiantly; who errs, who comes short again and again, because there is no effort without error and shortcoming; but who does actually strive to do the deeds; who knows great enthusiasms, the great devotions; who spends himself in a worthy cause; who at the best knows in the end the triumph of high achievement, and who at the worst, if he fails, at least fails while daring greatly.
So that his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who neither know victory nor defeat."

Ok, since it says FAVOURITE and not GREATEST, I’m gonna go with the ones who made me enjoy watching the most:

1 Betts
2 Modra
3 Porps (to think, what could have been)
4 Walker
5 Rehn

I followed them less in my 20s, so the period between about 96 to about 06 is a bit of a blur for me (flags aside)

McLeod
Modra
Tex
D Jarman
Ben Hart
Eddie

In that order.

And Jordan Dawson closing in very, very fast.

Back