Is Geelong home games at Etihad the biggest league-endorsed rort of recent times?

Remove this Banner Ad

We won't be playing at KP, both games will be at the MCG you can almost guarantee it.
If we have to play a home game at Etihad again it will be against a low ranked interstate side again.
I was taking the piss a little, but I'm expecting 1 MCG 1 KP. No need for both games to be at the MCG, you get your home game, we get ours.

I was taking the piss a little, but I'm expecting 1 MCG 1 KP. No need for both games to be at the MCG, you get your home game, we get ours.
The issue is if you have 9 KP games as requested and Carlton is a lock to play at KP, out of Melbourne and Richmond of the teams you are playing twice, the AFL will almost certainly choose Melbourne to head down to Geelong rather then the reigning premiers with the likely highest membership numbers in the league.

The issue is if you have 9 KP games as requested and Carlton is a lock to play at KP, out of Melbourne and Richmond of the teams you are playing twice, the AFL will almost certainly choose Melbourne to head down to Geelong rather then the reigning premiers with the likely highest membership numbers in the league.
We played 7 in 2017, will play 9 in 2018. Only 2 Home games in Melbourne, one v Hawthorn that is a lock. Essendon, Richmond, Collingwood are the contenders for our 2nd Home game, and considering we will have already played you at the MCG (or will do so after), the AFL will want to mix things up. I believe we will host Essendon at the G next year as our 2nd Melbourne home game.

We played 7 in 2017, will play 9 in 2018. Only 2 Home games in Melbourne, one v Hawthorn that is a lock. Essendon, Richmond, Collingwood are the contenders for our 2nd Home game, and considering we will have already played you at the MCG (or will do so after), the AFL will want to mix things up. I believe we will host Essendon at the G next year as our 2nd Melbourne home game.
We shall see tomorrow, I'm confident that it won't be us.

Superb for Geelong. Every club in the league would love a draw like that.

Yeah can't deny that.
We request 11 home but if it were me I would probably request exactly what has been given.
9 at home, 7 at the G is perfect. Get as much experience at the ground finals are played on as possible, whilst still utilising our home ground.
Don't want Etihad at all and pleasantly surprised we only play once at the ground.

Any side that is not an MCG tenant should request to play there as often as possible. Even sell a game.

I think one aspect that is overlooked is how it's quite unreasonable that the worst performing and predicted worst Victorian sides are the ones that end up having to play at KP. It's obviously a pretty tough trip in footy to make (especially the last 10 years), I think most clubs would put it up there with the trip to Perth in terms of difficulty. Yet the reigning premier due to their success which ultimately means larger drawing crowds now earns the easier task of playing a Geelong away game at their own home ground rather than the more difficult task of traveling down the highway which you would expect the best teams to have to do. But because Carlton have been performing poorly and are expected to perform poorly in 2018 they will have the more difficult task of trying to defeat Geelong at KP. It's a bit of a further kick in the guts for developing teams to have to make a difficult trip that the best Victorian teams and Collingwood don't have to make.

Of course I'm assuming the predictions are true and Carlton will play down at KP this year and Geelong will play their home game against Richmond at the G. In previous years replace Carlton with Melbourne/Richmond and then replace Richmond with Hawthorn/Collingwood and you get the picture.

**** me dead.

Cats fans still having a bitch about this?!

- 10 years of being a decent or awesome team
- 3 flags
- the best player in the league says he want to come to you for basically nothing
- one of the best players ever says he wants to come back to you for basically nothing
- Only team in the league who has a genuine home ground advantage without having to jump on a plane every two weeks

Only Hawks supporters can give you guys a run for your money for being the most kissed on the dick the past 10 years. Its pathetic that some of you have the gall to moan about this s**t.
11th year in a row we are playing our home game against hawthorn at hawthorns home ground in hawthorns home city. damn right we are bitching.

11th year in a row we are playing our home game against hawthorn at hawthorns home ground in hawthorns home city. damn right we are bitching.
If you want to play them in Geelong don't ask for Easter Monday blockbuster game.
Somebody else will happily take it up.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Glad to see the AFL have almost come to their senses with our draw this year. 11 would have been nice, but 9 games at KP is a good start, even more so with the remaining 2 home games being at the MCG.

All in all, pretty happy with our draw.

9 at KP
7 at MCG
5 interstate
1 Etihad

Geelong look to have the best draw.
9 games at KP
Double up against 3 sides that missed the 8

Only negative is the home game v richmond is now at the G but its good big game experience.

Geelong look to have the best draw.
9 games at KP
Double up against 3 sides that missed the 8

Only negative is the home game v richmond is now at the G but its good big game experience.

Hawks only 4 interstate away games? Pretty handy draw yourself.

I’m confused, how come Geelong only gets 9 home game so but every other team gets 11?
Give it a rest you sook, you guys get a draw every other club can only dream of
getting every single year.

if you like it so much can we play west coasts home game against geelong at kardinia park this year rather than Perth? 2 less home games then every other club in the comp.
I'll swap our draw for Geelongs literally every year. It's the best deal in the league that's somehow spun as a negative. IMO it's part of the reason Geelong seems to 'over perform' in the H&ha and underperform once it gets to finals.

If you offered the Eagles 9 genuine home games, maximising the home ground advantage because no other team plays there more than once, plus 7 games at another venue not far away, minimising the disadvantage of the travel because you play there regularly, plus only travel interstate five times and no trips to regional venues? Add some big FTA blockbusters and a great stadium return, they'd bite your hand off. Any club would.

You have the exposure of a big Victorian club, the home ground advantage of an interstate side but the travel factor of a a Victorian one, and a great stadium deal to stay hugely profitable through it. It's the best of all worlds, and the Geelong higher ups know t

Last edited:
Got to move with the standard of the league or move on. If KP could hold 60k then fair enough, but you want to take what has been a showpiece match and turn it into a more of a state league level event?

If you want to play them in Geelong don't ask for Easter Monday blockbuster game.
Somebody else will happily take it up.
you can have it. I hate that bloody game. its a monday game early in the season which is always followed up with multiple 6 day breaks in a row to get us back to saturday and friday games.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back