News 2018 Fixture announced

Remove this Banner Ad

That's a new category to sook about...draw to ladder position...

No mention of Good Friday, 3 fri night games, 8 Sat night games, home games against Coll, Hawks, WB, Rich, Melb, Carl...

11 games on free to air.

1 Sun twilight only

In my mind it's the best undeserved commercial draw we've ever received.
Hopefully it’s not like that season Carlton were given prime time slot after prime time slot and lost every game by 80+ points.

Why do the Drug Cheats get such an easy draw every year . The AFL certainly has forgiven them for the drugs saga and now all it cares about is that the Bombers succeed so they can get the big crowds.
The AFL never cared about anything except reputation. Forginveness isn’t really the correct concept. Availability of bonuses is better, although not perfect.

Happy to have both Sydney and Adelaide once each at home.

I'd give us a shout in all those games, none look like zero chance. Perhaps the Geelong and Port games look the most difficult, followed by our nemisis Sydney, but the rest are more about us and how we turn up. Lots of eyes on Richo and co and what progress he's made with his boys. Lots of pressure.

It's a good draw IMO. Great commercially, start right and I reckon we'll build a lot of confidence.

I really hope us supporters can do our part and turn up in large numbers to show the comp how big we can be. I say 'hope' rather than 'expect' because this is the part of the equation I am the least confident about. But if we can't pull consistently decent crowds with this draw, we can't blame anyone but ourselves for the AFL's future treatment of our club.

We should be up from winning the first 2 games, regular fans have no clue when it comes to wins, as long as you are on top of the ladder at the start of round three from 2 big wins we will get a few people turning up early season and hopefully we keep momentum going.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Yet again we don’t get to play Port at home , we again only play them once and it’s over there . I thought these things were supposed to balance out over time but how many years since we played Port here not counting practice matches.
i dont get this fasination in playing port in Melb... do we really want a home game where only 25K people show up ?
Freo and Port have near on zero melbourne fans/members so when we play them in Melb we rely almost entirely on our supporters to show up to make a crowd .. historically speaking we dont get our supporters out in for for those games ..

We should be up from winning the first 2 games, regular fans have no clue when it comes to wins, as long as you are on top of the ladder at the start of round three from 2 big wins we will get a few people turning up early season and hopefully we keep momentum going.
Brisbane first up is pretty much the thing I hate most about our fixtures. Week 1 - a lot of strange results happen - give me a game we wouldn't expect to win - let us have a positive shock rather than the fear of a negative one.

i dont get this fasination in playing port in Melb... do we really want a home game where only 25K people show up ?
Freo and Port have near on zero melbourne fans/members so when we play them in Melb we rely almost entirely on our supporters to show up to make a crowd .. historically speaking we dont get our supporters out in for for those games ..

Better than playing GWS and GC these days.

Anyway it's more about the equity of the fixture. Every team should play each other the same amount of times at home and away.

I think many feel the difference between Port winning and St Kilda winning is the venue.

I don't get the fascination with crowd numbers. I really couldnt care if we had 55k members and only 10 people rock up to the game as long as we win.

I don't sit there after we get flogged and be like 'ahh that's alright we got 45k under the roof'.

Simple, We start winning and the crowd ie neutrals and fair weather supporters start showing up. If not keep bloody winning and let me see a damn flag even if im the only support at the G.

ok so each year once the fixture is released i like to based on nothing but gut feel map out our winable games for the upcoming season last year i was one win off the total i predicted so this year i though i would post it and see how i go ..

Round 1: vs. Brisbane W
Round 2: vs. North W
Round 3: vs. Adelaide L
Round 4: vs. Geelong L
Round 5: vs. GWS L
Round 6: vs. Hawthorn L (50/50)
Round 7: vs. Melbourne W (50/50)
Round 8: vs. Fremantle L (50/50)
Round 9: vs. Collingwood W
Round 10: vs. Richmond L
Round 11: vs. West Coast W
Round 12: vs. Sydney L
Round 13: vs. Gold Coast W

Round 14: BYE - heading into the bye with a 6-7 record

Round 15: vs. Melbourne L (50/50)
Round 16: vs. Port Adelaide L
Round 17: vs. Carlton W
Round 18: vs. Richmond W (we always pull one out of the bag so this one is my tip)
Round 19: vs. GWS L
Round 20: vs. Western Bulldogs W (50/50)
Round 21: vs. Essendon L (50/50)
Round 22: vs. Hawthorn W (50/50)
Round 23: vs. North Melbourne W

so im thinking a 11-11 season ...

The thing is...

Who picked the Tigers to win the flag after their 2016??

No-one knows who will be shite and who will rocket up the ladder. It's all speculation. Even the Tigers fans were surprised.

I thought they'd play finals, last year was a blip, they had played finals for several years before hand. No one knows for sure but the whole fixture looks like it was made to cash up Essendon, Carlton and Collingwood. The AFL don't like battler teams playing finals too often, it cost them.

I hope we can lift because if we can make it work on field, it's set up for us to make money. If we * it up we won't get as generous fixturing again for a while unless we make a huge leap.

I don't get the fascination with crowd numbers. I really couldnt care if we had 55k members and only 10 people rock up to the game as long as we win.

I don't sit there after we get flogged and be like 'ahh that's alright we got 45k under the roof'.

Simple, We start winning and the crowd ie neutrals and fair weather supporters start showing up. If not keep bloody winning and let me see a damn flag even if im the only support at the G.
you do understand the financials of crowd numbers dont you ...
losing in Adl to port or losing to port in Melb is same same except the gate takings are very low so its a double blow ... theres a reason we sold our Freo and Port games to Tassie we used to lose money playing them at the dome

ok so each year once the fixture is released i like to based on nothing but gut feel map out our winable games for the upcoming season last year i was one win off the total i predicted so this year i though i would post it and see how i go ..

Round 1: vs. Brisbane W
Round 2: vs. North W
Round 3: vs. Adelaide L
Round 4: vs. Geelong L
Round 5: vs. GWS L
Round 6: vs. Hawthorn L (50/50)
Round 7: vs. Melbourne W (50/50)
Round 8: vs. Fremantle L (50/50)
Round 9: vs. Collingwood W
Round 10: vs. Richmond L
Round 11: vs. West Coast W
Round 12: vs. Sydney L
Round 13: vs. Gold Coast W

Round 14: BYE - heading into the bye with a 6-7 record

Round 15: vs. Melbourne L (50/50)
Round 16: vs. Port Adelaide L
Round 17: vs. Carlton W
Round 18: vs. Richmond W (we always pull one out of the bag so this one is my tip)
Round 19: vs. GWS L
Round 20: vs. Western Bulldogs W (50/50)
Round 21: vs. Essendon L (50/50)
Round 22: vs. Hawthorn W (50/50)
Round 23: vs. North Melbourne W

so im thinking a 11-11 season ...

Even the Subiaco seconds could beat us if they wear WCE jumpers, we have been crucified by umpiring for years in Perth. Nothing will change there. Essendon seem to have our measure pretty easily these days too. Agree with everything else though.

Better than playing GWS and GC these days.

Anyway it's more about the equity of the fixture. Every team should play each other the same amount of times at home and away.
differance is the AFL is trying to grow GWS and GC so giving them away games against teams outside the top 8 helps that ... the AFL dont really care if Freo or Port get a stronger following the apron strings have long been cut ..
if you are wanting equality in the fixture then you are following the wrong sport

i dont ... i reckon port beat us pretty much anywhere we play

You think playing them at Etihad this year rather than AO when we only lost by 2 points wouldn't have made a difference?

As a club we have traditionally been much better in Victoria than interstate. Even in our good years ('09 probably the only exception) we struggled to win much outside of Victoria. We have an atrocious record against Port in Adelaide - 3 wins, 11 losses.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back