2017 National Draft - 24th November 7pm

Remove this Banner Ad

My take:
Naughton- big mistake, already have depth here and also I did not view him as the best available player. Just wont cut it in my opinion and is a long way down a pecking order of a lot of young tall backs. For those who will respond 'well then who would you have picked instead', my simple response would be any of Higgins, Bailey, Ling or Allen would do the trick.
Richards- very happy, Dal liked him and I like him. Great selction
Porter- dont know much about him but didnt know much about any of the later selections either. Feel like he is a bit of a Fergus Greene type pick and picked on raw talent. Lets hope he can develop into something special, or even special-ish will do. Maybe would have preffered us to select Adam Sambono to fill a need and to add some pace/class to our list

Sorry mate you are not allowed to disagree with anything the club does. So stop it and tow the line immediately or the lemmings will amass and drown you in cool aid

Just because they were drafted as back flankers doesn't mean they will play that role at AFL level. Costagna was drafted as a back flanker and he turned himself into a vital piece in Richmonds flag puzzle. And I'm sure Ed Richards and Callum Porter will do the same.

But I agree with you 100% about dalrymple and McCartney not being on the same page. Looking at our KPP stocks, its ridiculous that we offered Roberts two years. And who comes out of the side now Trengove is here? Surely he's too good of a player to leave out?

Costagba is tripe I’d prefer Jong

I’m going to generally skip over your fifth annual summer edition of “this club’s stuffed and and I’m the only one who can see it” whingefap and just point out that footy has indeed changed and having KPDs that are great overhead & body on body and don’t sacrifice speed & agility is a huge advantage.

There’s a reason Melbourne mortgaged their draft and cap future recruiting Jake Lever when they already had enough KPD depth to play Tom McDonald forward.

If you can’t see why Naughton’s ceiling in the modern game is higher than the players picked after him, you’re simply out of touch with where AFL footy is at/headed.

Who would you have drafted at 9 & 16 instead? It’s easy to complain, but if you fancy yourself an expert put your balls on the line so we can look back on this in a year or two... who would you have picked?..
You make a good point. The naughton pick starts to make sense when you look at the next 5 or 6 on offer. Bonar is really the only other option I'd have been happy with. From all accounts O'Brien might be a reach at 10. And we got Ed the Red at 16. The Murphy talk was obviously garbage.
Was hoping for pace and kicking skills in this draft and don't necessarily agree with the best available strategy. But if naughton was so far ahead of what was left on the table then we take him. Looks a great prospect.

What do you think of Richards mate?

I won’t attempt to give my opinion on an individual players and his traits. I do not follow the kids close enough so any opinion I give will be second hand.

Most on here seem rapt with him but I think we could have picked a 3 foot one armed pigmy and they would say he is the best available and Dalrymple is a genius.

If the kid is quick then I’m happy with it but regardless the player do not understand drafting backs of any description. Our list is now so heavily loaded with backs we have to move some to forwards and that is amateur list building in my eyes.

I won’t attempt to give my opinion on an individual players and his traits. I do not follow the kids close enough so any opinion I give will be second hand.

Most on here seem rapt with him but I think we could have picked a 3 foot one armed pigmy and they would say he is the best available and Dalrymple is a genius.

If the kid is quick then I’m happy with it but regardless the player do not understand drafting backs of any description. Our list is now so heavily loaded with backs we have to move some to forwards and that is amateur list building in my eyes.
Kinda agree with you. Perhaps we thought we were better off sending some of our existing backs forward and trying others back. Probably the only rationale i can see.

Richards is very quick and is also a good user of the ball.

What I’m also struggling with is why they say Crozier will be used back. Already have JJ, Biggs, Suckling, Williams and Webb, Lynch as depth options. Seems Richards and Crozier have been added to that equation.

Surely one or both of JJ and Suckling spend significant time forward next year.

Kinda agree with you. Perhaps we thought we were better off sending some of our existing backs forward and trying others back. Probably the only rationale i can see.

Richards is very quick and is also a good user of the ball.

What I’m also struggling with is why they say Crozier will be used back. Already have JJ, Biggs, Suckling, Williams and Webb, Lynch as depth options. Seems Richards and Crozier have been added to that equation.

Surely one or both of JJ and Suckling spend significant time forward next year.

Yes mate that’s what I’ve been trying to say but apparently I’m the devil and anything I say is wrong.

We have a list that is devoid of forwards and people are saying Honey Lipinski and Greene will step up and fill the gap left by Jake! Please put the bong down and step away from the table ladies it ain’t happening

People that respond to users that have told them they are on ignore 1000 times are doing nothing other than deliberately derailing the thread with continued dribble.

How are they not banned for this?

Who would you have picked at 9 and 16? Simple question, no need to cry for moderators.

It's a draft thread and you're saying the club stuffed up the draft, so put your big boy pants on and tell us who the club should have picked...

Can't deaft what isn't there. This draft wasn't the best for forwards early on where our picks were.

Surely then speed and more mids is a better thing to load up on than any other KPB ?

I will now to your knowledge of the draft more than mine but several people are saying there were some absolutes gems that went after 9

You make a good point. The naughton pick starts to make sense when you look at the next 5 or 6 on offer. Bonar is really the only other option I'd have been happy with. From all accounts O'Brien might be a reach at 10. And we got Ed the Red at 16. The Murphy talk was obviously garbage.
Was hoping for pace and kicking skills in this draft and don't necessarily agree with the best available strategy. But if naughton was so far ahead of what was left on the table then we take him. Looks a great prospect.

Argument can be made for Bonar. Seems to have the tools.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Cough * Darcy Fogarty * cough

I have a bad feeling we’ll regret not taking him.
We'll make Collingwood regret not taking Naughton. The guy is another Rance.

Sometimes there is someone you just can't pass up on because they are just too good a footballer.

We took Richards and Porter as needs based selections for their speed. Porter reminds me a bit of Picken but faster so I wouldn't be surprised if he settles as a forward.

Fogarty has all the hallmarks of being another Aaron Francis.

Never missed a target in a 20 sec highlights pack?? kid must be a jet.
Yet 90% of us have never seen any of these kids play live or met them or interviewed them. That doesn’t stop people saying if we don’t draft player x because I liked his 20 second highlights package over everyone else, then I’ll burn the place down.

So yeah I’m happy pointing out that he never missed a target in a 20 second highlights package, when people question his kicking style from watching the same 20 second highlights package.

Surely then speed and more mids is a better thing to load up on than any other KPB ?

I will now to your knowledge of the draft more than mine but several people are saying there were some absolutes gems that went after 9
Naughton should have been picked by Collingwood at 6 but they went for a bloke with a dinky heart that may or may not force him to retire early.

Naughton clearly the best player left and he will play for us for a long time. With Adams feet, Collins being a tractor, Roberts going backwards and Morris retiring at the end of this year it was probably the right choice to make.

I don't see anyone in this draft who is going to concern the scoreboard as much as Stringer in the future.

Argument can be made for Bonar. Seems to have the tools.
Knee won't hold up on Etihad. Risk is enormous

Don’t always agree with MD but it’s hard to disagree with a few points here.

We will have a clearer picture in 12 months time.

There have been a few decisions both on and off field I haven’t fully understood

There does seem to be a disconnect between McCartney and Dalrymple.

Seems an odd strategy to bring in a key defender as a free agent and the draft, and also give a 2 year deal to Roberts all in the one year (I know there was no way of knowing Trengove and Naughton would be coming).

Sooner we sort out the footy dept structure the better

Don’t forget we extended Collins too.

It’s funny I looked at a few best 18s in that thread and amazing when u see both sides layed out on paper.

We will be forced to play a lot of blokes out of position as a result of the balance of our list. And whether people wish to admit it or not that has the real potential to ruin careers.

One side someone named had jj and Adams playing forward ... and suckling who plays his best footy down back was on a wing In the twos.

Instead of playing a backman as a fwd how about manage our list better and have a fwd play as a fwd and the backman a backman.

This whole flexibility thing giving me the sh1ts. Let’s get people to master their roles and not a side of jack of all trades masters of none

It’s funny I looked at a few best 18s in that thread and amazing when u see both sides layed out on paper.

We will be forced to play a lot of blokes out of position as a result of the balance of our list. And whether people wish to admit it or not that has the real potential to ruin careers.

One side someone named had jj and Adams playing forward ... and suckling who plays his best footy down back was on a wing In the twos.

Instead of playing a backman as a fwd how about manage our list better and have a fwd play as a fwd and the backman a backman.

This whole flexibility thing giving me the sh1ts. Let’s get people to master their roles and not a side of jack of all trades masters of none
Roberts, Young and ENIMEM are forwards playing in defence. Let's chuck them forward and let the defenders defend.
With Moz retiring, that leaves Trengove, Adams, Naughton, Collins and Cordy as key defenders. feels about right

Roberts, Young, ENIMEM, Schache and Redpath as forward/wingers and
Boyd, Roughy, Campbell and English as Ruck/forwards

You didn’t like JJ kicking 4 against Essendon?

Suckling was frequently playing up the ground for the Hawks when they were winning flags.

Adams was drafted as a player that could switch ends. I’d prefer him in defence personally.

Like Jedi said, we’ve been playing blokes like Young and Roberts that were drafted as forwards or swingmen in defence.

I agree that the list balance is askew for next season, but it will only take one or two moves to rectify it, i.e. Morris retiring and Roberts/Collins being traded and replacing them with mids/forwards.

There could be a bit of a cull next year with Morris, Honeychurch, Collins, Suckling, Campbell, Smith and Dickson coming off contract and Roberts & Webb coming off contract the following year and under pressure. The opportunity to get the balance perfect will be there.

Yeah let’s settle for last year and live on that for 60 years again

Let’s not question what many others ALSO think is strange but somehow people pinpoint me as the only one that has said they disagree with what we have done this off season.

Let’s sit on our hands and not mention the disgraceful coaching last year and the fact the club has not changed a single thing to fix that.

Nope let’s just piss rainbows and lollypops and hope our safe words will make things better.

Yep that will fix things and we have 2016 who gives a s**t now right?
Complaining on Bigfooty should fix things...

Can't deaft what isn't there. This draft wasn't the best for forwards early on where our picks were.
I was surprised there was no Oscar Allen at either of our
picks, but i had Luke Ryan at pick 18 last year and i sat
and listened as he was available at all four of our picks
and yet no cigar. Luke Ryan was a dynamic version of
Matthew Boyd who was set to miss the early part of
the season, but did he have an impact when he got
the nod with back to back AFL fantasy scores of 138
and 126 in rounds 19 and 20. He also played 11 games
which was more than all our draftees combined.

Anyway i have learnt not to complain and to accept
the fact that the people inside the club have a much
better understanding of the player group dynamic.

Roberts, Young and ENIMEM are forwards playing in defence. Let's chuck them forward and let the defenders defend.
Roberts has shown literally nothing every single time he has played forward. He has been hopeless in that role at both AFL and VFL level. Not sure what evidence there is for him being a forward.

You didn’t like JJ kicking 4 against Essendon?

Suckling was frequently playing up the ground for the Hawks when they were winning flags.

Adams was drafted as a player that could switch ends. I’d prefer him in defence personally.

Like Jedi said, we’ve been playing blokes like Young and Roberts that were drafted as forwards or swingmen in defence.

I agree that the list balance is askew for next season, but it will only take one or two moves to rectify it, i.e. Morris retiring and Roberts/Collins being traded and replacing them with mids/forwards.

There could be a bit of a cull next year with Morris, Honeychurch, Collins, Suckling, Campbell, Smith and Dickson coming off contract and Roberts & Webb coming off contract the following year and under pressure. The opportunity to get the balance perfect will be there.

Sorry but Roberts and young aren’t forwards - they are failed forwards only moved back cause they didn’t show enough forward.

It would be like throwing Liam jones back forward. They have shown more attributes as backs than forwards.
It Is why hooker will go back, why Taylor will go back, why Reid at Collingwood hasn’t been able to be a consistent fwd, possibly even why Moore will be back there also.

Jj s game against ess was great as a fwd but there is a reason he isn’t played there every week. I recall a few years ago he was played a lot there at Footscray but ... went down back when not consistent enough as fwd.

And if u believe WAFL watchers the same exact thing happened with Adams.
If drafting Naughton means a back has to play as a fwd then you consider brander a better recruit cause he would be a fwd who plays fwd- with flexibility to go back- but leaves a number of our blokes able to play in the position they are best.

Last edited:
The selection of Naughton says something about Collins, Young, Cordy and Roberts.

I'm not so sure. I think that it speaks more to our clear philosophy of drafting best available over perceived needs.

We seem to be willing to take this risk regardless of the vociferous posting that it is the wrong strategy by some blowhards here.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back