Rumour Jason Cripps to St Kilda, Scott Clayton to Port - fake news

Remove this Banner Ad

Every club has misses. GC is is almost as bad as Melbourne during the dark ages at developing talent...

It's not about hits and misses, it's about drafting strategy. I don't blame our recruiting manager at the time for picking up Butcher at #8, he was the obvious choice, sometimes the obvious choice just doesn't develop for whatever reason. But bar Jarrad Grant, every bloke listed above that he picked up with top 20 picks would have probably been available in the rookie draft. Even if the picks had worked out, they still would have been dumb picks at the point that he took them. Like, imagine if we'd taken Dan Houston with a pick in the top 20? Houston's developed into a good player. But it still would have been stupid to take him with a pick in the top 20, because we would have been able to get him at pick 45 in the rookie draft instead.

The fact that none of those picks have actually worked out just makes objectively bad picks even worse. And the fact that he keeps going for these reaches despite none of the previous ones working demonstrates that he has no capacity to learn from his mistakes, which is about the worst possible trait an off-field decision maker at a football club can have.

Last edited:
It's not about hits and misses, it's about drafting strategy. I don't blame our recruiting manager at the time for picking up Butcher at #8, he was the obvious choice, sometimes the obvious choice just doesn't develop for whatever reason. But bar Jarrad Grant, every bloke listed above that he picked up with top 20 picks would have probably been available in the rookie draft. Even if the picks had worked out, they still would have been dumb picks at the point that he took them. Like, imagine if we'd taken Dan Houston with a pick in the top 20? Houston's developed into a good player. But it still would have been stupid to take him with a pick in the top 20, because we would have been able to get him at pick 45 in the rookie draft instead.

The fact that none of those picks have actually worked out just makes objectively bad picks even worse. And it demonstrates that he has no capacity to learn from his mistakes, which is about the worst possible trait an off-field decision maker at a football club can have.

Im hoping you are wrong, despite stating the obvious. Is it fact that Clayton has arrived at Alberton?
Recruiting strategy and off field endeavor is one of the most important roles in football at any level. Surely this club understands it cant afford to make backward decisions, surely.

Gold Coast have a pretty good list. They lose good players all the time. I don't think any recruitment guru could make them good. They are just s**t. AFL should have set them up properly. Gold Coast are doomed. Keep taking their players. Clayton was considered a super hero before he went to gold coast. meh. I'm not fussed either way. Our list, father-sons, academies seem to be pretty well sorted going forward. Club seems to know what its doing!

Cripps has served our club well and I wouldn’t begrudge him for taking the next step in his career.

Is his health ok after the heart attack in Perth?

Did anyone think Cripps was any good before he took on his current role?

Did anyone think Davies was any good?

Does anyone know what exactly Claytons role entails at GC? Or how much say the coach/football manager/recruiters had in the player he chose.

Does anyone know what exactly Claytons role would be here?

A lot of jumping at shadows on this thread but we have really got these appointments right if late. If we sign Clayton I will be happy to back the club in until proven wrong.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Does anyone know what exactly Claytons role entails at GC? Or how much say the coach/football manager/recruiters had in the player he chose.

A lot of jumping at shadows on this thread but we have really got these appointments right if late. If we sign Clayton I will be happy to back the club in until proven wrong.

Still.... concerning

I dunno, chronic bad drafting can screw a club for years. If Clayton's history is bad, I'd avoid.

I dunno, chronic bad drafting can screw a club for years. If Clayton's history is bad, I'd avoid.
Is no form better than bad form? I would back a bloke in to learn from his mistakes. Like the Bancroft>Renshaw Call this Summer, or even Marsh>Maxwell, I would back in Clayton to hit a 80* at the draft table next year and an unbeaten 100 against a Pink ball in 2019.

However I hope we can put a Strategy in place where it’s a three year transition from Clayton to Chad of the Cornes variety maybe?

Is no form better than bad form? I would back a bloke in to learn from his mistakes. Like the Bancroft>Renshaw Call this Summer, or even Marsh>Maxwell, I would back in Clayton to hit a 80* at the draft table next year and an unbeaten 100 against a Pink ball in 2019.

However I hope we can put a Strategy in place where it’s a three year transition from Clayton to Chad of the Cornes variety maybe?
Not necessarily, but I wasn't suggesting we recruit someone with no experience. We should be recruiting people with experience who have a track record of success.

Are you suggesting that we eventually have Chad Cornes running our drafting? I'd let him stick to coaching, and keep recruiting actual list managers.

Not necessarily, but I wasn't suggesting we recruit someone with no experience. We should be recruiting people with experience who have a track record of success.

Are you suggesting that we eventually have Chad Cornes running our drafting? I'd let him stick to coaching, and keep recruiting actual list managers.

Not necessarily, but after exposure at GWS and then coaching his own SANFL league sise, who is to say he will not follow the path to a recruiter/scout

Is no form better than bad form? I would back a bloke in to learn from his mistakes.

Except he’s been in the job for over a decade and yet he still continues to make the same mistake with a teens/20’s pick nearly every time he has one.

Yeah nah. He was ordinary at the Dogs and ordinary at GC. Do Not Want.

From Clayton's (Tasmanian) Football Hall of Fame entry...

Post-retirement Clayton turned his hand to recruiting, a role in which he would find extraordinary success. He joined the Brisbane Bears in 1991 under his former coach at Fitzroy, Robert Walls, and immediately set about building what eventually became the triple premiership-winning Brisbane Lions sides of the early 2000s, recruiting names such as Michael Voss, Nigel Lappin, Darryl White, Jason Akermanis, Daniel Bradshaw, Justin Leppitsch and Luke Power, and also proving greatly influential in his former Fitzroy teammate Alastair Lynch joining the club in 1994. After spending one year as head recruiter for the newly merged Brisbane Lions entity in 1997, Clayton took a year out of the game before joining the Western Bulldogs in 1999. While there would be no premierships at the Whitten Oval, he would be instrumental in bringing names like Robert Murphy, Adam Cooney, Matthew Boyd, Ryan Griffen and Daniel Giansiracusa to the club, all of whom would play over 200 games and go down as club legends.

After 10 years with the Bulldogs Clayton was head-hunted by the new Gold Coast franchise to be their head recruiter and list manager, a role he continues in to this day.

https://coupler.foxsports.com.au/ap...u/news-story/3e844f5fe8aff8ae576f5a912e51710c
JASON Cripps will remain at Port Adelaide as list manager, the former Saint having decided not to pursue a senior position at St Kilda.

Cripps, a former St Kilda player and assistant coach, was among the candidates for a senior role in St Kilda’s football department, which could be revamped following the exit from the Saints of incoming Western Bulldogs chief executive Ameet Bains.

https://coupler.foxsports.com.au/ap...u/news-story/3e844f5fe8aff8ae576f5a912e51710c

Remove this Banner Ad

Back