Rumour Dees pull out of tough training camp

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Doesn't augur well for goodwins future at the club. The fact the players called in the union to go OTT of the coach and club is a pretty big deal.

So they should put up with sleep deprivation just to 'harden up'? They're athletes, not elite special forces in training.
Anyone who has had kids has suffered from sleep deprivation. It's not terminal or something that would impact the rest of them, especially FOUR months out from the start of football.

Anyone who has had kids has suffered from sleep deprivation. It's not terminal or something that would impact the rest of them, especially FOUR months out from the start of football.

Players picked up injuries on it last year and the general feedback was they hated it. I don’t see why the club wanted to go again (It wasn’t exactly well run last time, players weren’t fed properly either) and whilst I’m a tad worried about a possible disconnect between players and staff I’m completely behind the players electing not to go. It isn’t like they’re skipping training, they’ll get flogged at regular training next week.

The aim was to take them out of their comfort zone, right? I've a better idea. Give them all shovels, and put these jokers to work digging holes on a road or rail project in the outback. A fortnight of that will soften their cough pretty quickly.

In all seriousness though this is such a bad look for the club. Prior to the Rd23 capitulation we'd started to win back some respect as a club, this absolute bollocks sets us right back to Baileyball

Wouldn't have had this kind of a balls-up under Roos. Did they not take player feedback into account from last year?

Wouldn't have had this kind of a balls-up under Roos. Did they not take player feedback into account from last year?

Treating players as individuals was very important to Roos. Rhyce Shaw said that he felt extremely valued the moment that he stepped of the plane to Sydney as Roos met him at the airport.

It is very underrated, making a player feel valued and making them feel like they are important, but it really does work in making players better.

Life isn't a Rocky montage, seems they made a sensible decision. Being tough is good and all but getting miles into the legs and practising skills goes ok too

Plenty of other ways to strengthen team unity too without placing them in overtly hazardous situations.

Dees players apparently went to the players association to ask if they could ask the club to get them out of It?

They apparently felt It was too hard last year? Seems odd.
If true, typical gen Y bullshit.

Building a culture and a deep mental belief that "if it gets all too hard, we can just give up".

I really want the Dees to do well, they're a second team of mine.

Conspiracy confirmed, silent supports freo, has a spot for dees, Hogan is out of WA, 100% conspiring to steal our Gun FF.

Na joking well be winning more games by his next contract, (2 years) hes ours! (although not a shoe in) :D:D

After the sleep deprivation the players drove home. Last year's camp was a disaster

(Log in to remove this ad.)

IMO it is no coincidence that the culture at Melbourne has gone to s**t as soon as Watts was traded. Some serious soul searching is required, but do Demons even have souls?

It isn’t like they’re skipping training, they’ll get flogged at regular training next week.

Thats its schmutt!
it's not like this camp is going to help them hit a target 20 meters from goal on the rebound late in the game?!

Hawthorn does the Kokoda trek (or hike through the NZ mountains)
Poor deed, no wonder they struggle
Kokoda trek isn't for training, it's a bonding exercise. I don't blame them, this sounds like some dated 'toughen up' nonsense, depriving players of sleep is not training. The brick stuff is laughable. There are stressful training regimens that are actually productive.

IMO it is no coincidence that the culture at Melbourne has gone to s**t as soon as Watts was traded. Some serious soul searching is required, but do Demons even have souls?

Big footy has the weirdest narratives. Watts was the pin up boy for everything wrong with Melbournes culture. Now it's because he's gone Melbournes culture is s**t.

Ha ha, love those boot camps run by ex-SAS flogs who make money by running completely unscientific programs, indulging middle aged mens' fantasies about "wars" and "toughness" and "leadership" and whatever other bullshit buzzword they can come up with. Lifting bags filled with bricks over your head, gimme a break. Sleep deprivation - that'll toughness you up, son.

Makes you wonder what kind of a moron you'd have to be to buy into that crap.

Salem's injury goes straight to the non football related injury Hall of Fame...his bust will be enshrined next to NSW Rugby League State of Origin forward Robbie Kearns who broke his collarbone and missed the entire Origin series after falling from a horse during a team bonding exercise.
Salem's was a cracker.
Soon as i read about it i remembered Fanie de Villiers the South African opening bowler who skittled us at the SCG with a 10for around 1993/94???ish. All the talk here in the press for the following tour a few yrs later was about the return of de Villiers, then, before the tour he goes and fiddles with his lawn mower back home and massacres two fingers on his bowling hand. Never saw him here again.

We couldnt figure out whether to laugh or cry last year when Dan Rampe tried to skip over a little 20cm high chain fence outside the SCG after Rnd 1, tripped like a goose and broke his arm, out for 2 months. Horse must have been impressed.

Salem's injury is right up near the top.

Goodwin is a deadshit too, will be seen as a poor decision in not too long.

Getting rid of Watts because, what, he liked his mates too much? Ludicrous. He's an average coach and his notion of total dedication and hard work and resilience isn't right for this generation. Wasn't he harsh on Jesse Hogan too, totally forgetting the guy had the weight of a club, his own health issues, and his father's death to contend with? Some of the greatest players of all time like drinking piss, hated training, and even didn't get along with every other person at the club... Swanny, Buddy, Aker...
Thought Goodwin was an awful appointment on the back of him admitting to taking substances banned by WADA on Essendon grounds. After Bailey and Neeld, I thought Melbourne would choose someone with a clean record to succeed Roos.

Melbourne players with integrity know that their coach gambled on AFL matches as a player and has an easy relationship with banned substances. Can understand that their trust doesn't stretch to all facets of their training and guidance from Goodwin.

Sums up this club so well.

The culture there is a disgrace and looks like not changing for some time. It’s hard to see how and it ever will change when things like this happen.

Here’s to another 4,000 days not beating us.

Ha ha, love those boot camps run by ex-SAS flogs who make money by running completely unscientific programs, indulging middle aged mens' fantasies about "wars" and "toughness" and "leadership" and whatever other bullshit buzzword they can come up with. Lifting bags filled with bricks over your head, gimme a break. Sleep deprivation - that'll toughness you up, son.

Makes you wonder what kind of a moron you'd have to be to buy into that crap.

Agreed. I mean training for sleep deprivation might be useful if you are actually training to go into a war zone where you may be required to be awake for a few days without any sleep but it isn't a skill that is at all needed in the AFL and as a result forcing players to have very little sleep is not only pointless but is only going to breed resentment as who likes someone else that prevents them from sleeping when they need to.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back