What unpopular AFL opinions do you have? (Part 1 - cont in Part 2)

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Giants song is the best by a LONG way
I like ours. "Grand old flag" is my hometown teams song, and I have a softspot.
:oops:After a trip to the G for the PF "Tigerland" is the one stuck in my head. From the ground and the Hotel after.

If you ignore the fact that even the AFL said that the umpires gifted the Bulldogs 4 goals.
That means the score should read
Dogs 9-11-65
Swans 10-7-67
Congrats Sydney 2016 premiers, AFL should reverse the result and review all other GF's starting with the 2005 decider. As Barry Hall shouldn't have played that game,which he admitted himself, that score should be adjusted to
Swans 6-9-45
WC 7-12-54.

They came out and said that the umpires paid incorrect free kicks that resulted in 4 umpire caused dogs goals?
Proof please.
And please don't quote that article in which the AFL admitted a few errors either way

So you are asking me not to quote the article where there is proof they admitted that they gifted 4 goals to the Bulldogs? Isn't that like asking for proof that Hitler had a weird mustache but not allowing for any of that proof to be any photos or video of him?

Unpopular opinion.

Joel Selwood and Sam Mitchell have had better careers than Chris Judd, and were/are better all-round footballers.

Chris Judd is the most overrated midfielder of all-time when people mention him with Carey, Mathews and Ablett as one of the games "Greatest" players.

So you are asking me not to quote the article where there is proof they admitted that they gifted 4 goals to the Bulldogs? Isn't that like asking for proof that Hitler had a weird mustache but not allowing for any of that proof to be any photos or video of him?
Not what I said at all. Nice try though.
I'm asking for proof of what you claimed.

Not what I said at all. Nice try though.
I'm asking for proof of what you claimed.

Here you go

The league were embarrassed to the point that then-acting AFL general manager of football operations Mark Evans rang Sydney chief executive Andrew Ireland on the Tuesday after the match to apologise for the umpires costing the Swans four goals. The winning margin blew out late to 22 points after the Bulldogs kicked the final two goals in time on of the final quarter.

http://www.theaustralian.com.au/spo...e/news-story/dd26db5f59740617c8e4847d13e5294b

Just out of interest, which were the decisions that cost the swans the four goals?

I can hardly be expected to remember play by play moments of a game I have not watched in over 14 months. I do remember though at the time thinking there were a few very very iffy decisions going to the Bulldogs that led to easy goals, and a few non-decisions against the Swans. I was hardly the only one saying it at the time as well. The free kick count difference was more than a little telling.

One of my primary memories is a non-decision for Hannebery where he was actually injured in a tackle but was not given a free kick for it.

One of my primary memories is a non-decision for Hannebery where he was actually injured in a tackle but was not given a free kick for it.

The play resulted in a swans mark in the dogs fifty. Not sure it cost a goal. If anyone can point to the four decisions that directly resulted in goals it would be great :)

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Unpopular opinion.

Joel Selwood and Sam Mitchell have had better careers than Chris Judd, and were/are better all-round footballers.

Chris Judd is the most overrated midfielder of all-time when people mention him with Carey, Mathews and Ablett as one of the games "Greatest" players.
Hmm. I’m a big Judd fan. Lost his elite pace and won a second Brownlow changing his craft.

It wasn't just me saying it though, it was Mark Evans, who at the time was a big wig in the AFL. You should take it up with him.

Nah, I'm happy enough not to put a comfortable win down to umpiring based on a story written by someone about a phone call they obviously weren't listening to. You can point to umpiring, I can point to smashing the swans in inside fifties, contested possessions and having far fewer passengers on the day. Everyones happy.

Nah, I'm happy enough not to put a comfortable win down to umpiring based on a story written by someone about a phone call they obviously weren't listening to. You can point to umpiring, I can point to smashing the swans in inside fifties, contested possessions and having far fewer passengers on the day. Everyones happy.

Swans were only 2 goals down part way through the 4th quarter, despite being reamed by the umpires. Yes a number of our players played like crap, but at the same time 4 goals in that match is a huge amount, not just for the 24 points, but also because of how it would affect the momentum of the game.

Hmm. I’m a big Judd fan. Lost his elite pace and won a second Brownlow changing his craft.
In a year where most people thought Swan was the better player( MVP and AFLCA awards).

Besides, the Brownlow hasn't always been awarded to the best player in a year. Carey, Mathews, Ablett, Franklin...have all never won one.

In a year where most people thought Swan was the better player( MVP and AFLCA awards).

Besides, the Brownlow hasn't always been awarded to the best player in a year. Carey, Mathews, Ablett, Franklin...have all never won one.
That was a strange year or so. Judd won when most people thought Swan was better and then the next year I think it was most people thought Judd had the better year but someone else won it

I think the umpires do there job quite well and very rarely impact the result of the game.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I've said this repeatedly.
Every club has fans that sook about umpiring, some Swans fans sook about one game, Eagles fans sook about another, Dogs fans do too.
The one thing they have in common is that they sook the loudest, the most and more relentlessly when they lose.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back