What unpopular AFL opinions do you have? (Part 1 - cont in Part 2)

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
I don’t rate Bontempelli all that much and ‘The Bont’ is the worst nickname I’ve ever heard.
So either...
A. You don't get football
B. You're trolling
C. You need to explain

If it's...
A. He's very good
B. Eh, get a life
C. There's a few of these opinions out there. Usually when people say "I don't rate Bont that much" or "Pendles isn't that good", or "player x from my team is better than player y from your team", I put them in one of the above categories and to honest, it's usually A. But I'm happy to hear your logic.

He just looks so good at what he does. The acid is on him now to translate than into being a great.
He's a classy player in the right place at the right time list wise. He'd be very average in a poor team. The genuine greats are those who can carry a team to a win, haven't really seen Bont do that when guys like Judd had at his age.

He's a classy player in the right place at the right time list wise. He'd be very average in a poor team. The genuine greats are those who can carry a team to a win, haven't really seen Bont do that when guys like Judd had at his age.
Must have missed the game vs North last year, and the one against Sydney this year, and the one against Melbourne in his first year, and the one against Gold Coast in his second...

Not many players are going to look favourable when compared to Judd at 20-22. In fact pretty much none. He was probably the best and most impactful under 23 player ever. A bit of a ridiculous comparison.

Must have missed the game vs North last year, and the one against Sydney this year, and the one against Melbourne in his first year, and the one against Gold Coast in his second...

Not many players are going to look favourable when compared to Judd at 20-22. In fact pretty much none. He was probably the best and most impactful under 23 player ever. A bit of a ridiculous comparison.
It's one I've read and heard made. I really like Bont, but some people are a bit over the top in their praise.

The genuine greats are those who can carry a team to a win, haven't really seen Bont do that when guys like Judd had at his age.

I think you've taken maybe his greatest strength and listed it as his weakness. He is far and away the biggest match winner in the team and he consistently stands up when needed. He is absolute clutch.

This article from 2016 is about his last quarters in close games:

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/a...e/news-story/c3ee97db320aa37a22241af658eb2cf6

His weakness last season was starting games slowly... his second halves were much better than his first halves

Last edited:
Best and Fairest in a premiership team at 20?
ok

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I think it's too hard to tell who is the best team just looking at the home and away fixture, given no-one plays everyone twice.
They need to do either one of two things
a) more of an NFL system where who plays who is set it stone depending on where you finish so each ladder position always plays the same teams
b) play everyone the same times repeatedly. Maybe you get a tough dtaw one year, maybe an easy one the next, but in 10 years you play every one 14-15 times or whatever it is.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back