Preview JLT 2018 - Gold Coast v Geelong, 4:35pm Sunday, Townsville

Remove this Banner Ad

The main thing concerning me is we have 1 more game and then round 1 and I haven’t seen anything new regarding game plan or style to suggest we are going to change things up this season to combat Richmond’s fanatic pressure. Continuously handballing the ball to players standing still or in the wrong position seems to be a recurring problem that just doesn’t get addressed.
Yeah...nice one Scotty :(

I mean the scoreline is disappointing but not the be all and end all in this situation.
They were up and about and after a basically entirely shit existence are now playing for a new coach and fighting for spots.
We played an undermanned team with a bit of experimentation going on.
On a positive I think the draftees looked good, the highest probably showed the least as well, Kelly is ready to go, he'll play round 1. Miers is just a footballer, smart with body position and reading the ball.
Constable will be our new Joel Corey - he got 20+ touches in filthy hot and humid weather and his tanks not much chop... christ, imagine when he gets fit.r
Sav showed a bit in a half, he actually looks to have gone past Buzz.
Jones lively and worked hard all game.
Blitz actually i didn't mind back, and he's unlikely to play on a number 1 man again so something there
A few senior players just going through the motions summed up the attitude I felt.

But some players on the edge did nothing to help themselves
Murda, Stanley, Horlin-Smith, Parsons...
None should play senior footy 1st half of the year if we are fit.
Cam Guth is frustrating but I think better at half back than in the middle, Kolo lacks urgency for me.
Menegola needs to stop just banging it long every time he gets it.

Let's see how we roll out next week though before we get too worked up.

Considering there are many spots open this year both up forward and down back, very few players looked like the desperately wish to play senior footy. Why not play like it’s a grand final if you’re a fringe player... otherwise the exit door is to your left.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Well said! I asked previously if it's complacency manifesting as arrogance. . .is there a 'Suns, not set for Top 8' attitude, let's just coast. Another slow start. I think this was a game to step up + be counted!

There were some good signs:
Disposals - Top 10 - (Lyons Top with 22 for Suns)
Tuohy - 24
Constable - 22
Menegola - 21
Cuthrie - 20 with 75% DE
Hyphen - 10 with 78.9% DE
Menzel - 18
Duncan - 17
Cunico -17 with 70.6% DE
Stewart - 16
Parsons - 15 with 75% DE

But there were also many horrors.
Only three goals - SavRat, Miers + Menzel
Too many misses
You all know the rest

Rubbish all round. It means nothing, but in context maybe it does mean something. We are perenial contenders, but with our list we should have grabbed another flag somewhere in the last 5 years, or at least another gf.

CThe same questions hover over us year after year, i hope im wrong, but i no longer have much faith in us grabbing another flag under scott, hope things look very different in 6 or 7 weeks time.
Let's forget about flags indefinitely. Until we are the best team going around IN SEPTEMBER.
IF Winning games is all that counts-
-for that, we need our best players fit and playing well.

The latter 3 are frustrating. They just don’t appear to be capable of playing consistent footy - sometimes from week to week, often from quarter to quarter. Kolo does some very good things then just lets himself down with poor decision making. Guthrie loses concentration and is happy to coast. Not good enough. Today was an opportunity for him and Menegola to demonstrate they can cover the big 3. They didn’t.

Murdoch Stanley and GHS are classic mid 20s fringe players who will probably be gone at years end no worry there.

Guthrie is a decent B grade player which every top side needs his brother will be better but he's ok in defence. He was routinely playing on taller players today because of the side we put out there. My one gripe is he tries to break tackles when he shouldnt given umps clearly pay HTB against him more than most players he needs to be smarter there and offload instead of trying to take all tackles on.

Kolos very good one on one but hes slow to move on so he needs teammates applying pessure to give him time to, today we didnt have that.

Menegola gets a bad rag on here because he will make one or two ocassional mistakes that people choose to remember. 22 touches 3 inside 50s and 4 score involvements is fine by him. He generally always performs consistently over 4 quarters which is more than some of our mid tier players do.

I worry way more about thurlow and the ghs murdoch etc types than him.

Really just a career killer - Murda does not help himself either but its really frustrating.

GO Catters

He will probably be gone at years end either way but when a player has limitations you need to give them a role that works within that. Not give them a role that will expose them.

Further to my other post Thurlow was a worry as well.. if you insist on handballing around in defence I'd at least like them to give him the ball to use it

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The main thing concerning me is we have 1 more game and then round 1 and I haven’t seen anything new regarding game plan or style to suggest we are going to change things up this season to combat Richmond’s fanatic pressure. Continuously handballing the ball to players standing still or in the wrong position seems to be a recurring problem that just doesn’t get addressed.
Yes absolutely correct

Kelly big tick.
Constable is nowhere near fit enough but looks like he has the right attributes.
Miers reminds me of Stokes just knows where the goals are.
Jones probably isnt afl ready but i see something there he has zip and smarts.
Fogarty did a couple of nice things theres potential there.

Duncan good as usual Menegola ok. If GHS can't step up with the other mids out he looks in trouble.
Stewart Bews and Zuthrie real ticks.

Thurlow still looks a yard off it which worries me but we need to persist as he can kick and many of our players cant.

Lack of ball use inside 50 and lack of forward system (how many times did we have no small fwd front and square to try and lock the ball in) is a worry.

Forgive me, I think you're a little harsh on Constable, who was second with 22 Disposals + 68% time on ground. Most Handballs 16 (he's obviously going far). Equal first with Menegola with 11 Contested Possessions - a good effort in comparison to other experienced players, well, I think.

I mean the scoreline is disappointing but not the be all and end all in this situation.
They were up and about and after a basically entirely shit existence are now playing for a new coach and fighting for spots.
On a positive I think the draftees looked good, the highest probably showed the least as well, Kelly is ready to go, he'll play round 1. Miers is just a footballer, smart with body position and reading the ball.
Constable will be our new Joel Corey - he got 20+ touches in filthy hot and humid weather and his tanks not much chop... christ, imagine when he gets fit.r
Blitz actually i didn't mind back, and he's unlikely to play on a number 1 man again so something there
A few senior players just going through the motions summed up the attitude I felt.

Cam Guth is frustrating but I think better at half back than in the middle, Kolo lacks urgency for me.

Good write up. I can see Menegola getting squeezed out of the 22 this year, just a very dumb footballer.

Excellent summary and I will add that there is no need whatsoever for Guthrie to play in the middle considering there are at least 6 players much better suited to that position

Great Review.
The only player that continually gets negative appraisal here that I deem as unfair is Parsons.
What did he do wrong, and the position he played, he seemed reasonable.
Not you in particular Willo, but many just don't rate him, so he gets lumped with other strugglers harshly, imo.

I'm probably just echoing the views on here.

Main observation: We seemed to get a lot of the ball, but we were very wasteful in the F50. In addition, we were getting smashed on the rebound turnovers, GCFC were much cleaner with their entries and ability to hit scoring shots.

I think you'll see a much better team effort with these guys in: Hendo, Taylor, Danger, GAJ, Selwood, Scooter, Parfitt, Crameri.

Buzza, Murdoch, Cunico, Parsons, Thurlow didn't look that great out there.

Of the younger guys, just some initial thoughts:

Miers may need some work, I think the concerns of his pace at this level may expose him, but the guy has good footy brains so it will be interesting to see how he develops.

Jones looks quick, didn't get much of it, hard to assess him.

Fogarty was above average, I like his ability to get to contests and attack the ball. I think I can see why he was our first choice with the current draft kids. His ball drop and kicking depth may need some work.

Constable was very impressive, I thought he was incredibly clean in traffic, he does have pace limitations, but looks like he may develop a decent tank, he looks more like a Cameron Ling type.

Zuthrie looks pretty composed out there, I think he will be a pretty good defender, just reminds me of Milburn the way he moves.

SavRat looks a good type, I think if he can work on the fitness and getting to more contests, he will be hard to match up in the F50, even if the ball spills to the ground, he seems to have a good recovery to get the ball to our advantage. Will watch keenly, he has way more upside than Buzza IMO.

Kelly is a lock for best 22, I think he moves good, don't worry about his pace, his first 3-5 steps will get him out of traffic in most cases, plus his disposal is pretty good.

Kolo looks slow, he did some okay things, but I think faster forwards will expose him, especially on the rebound.

Stewart looks in good shape, he should have a good season.

Well said! I asked previously if it's complacency manifesting as arrogance. . .is there a 'Suns, not set for Top 8' attitude, let's just coast. Another slow start. I think this was a game to step up + be counted!

There were some good signs:
Disposals - Top 10 - (Lyons Top with 22 for Suns)
Tuohy - 24
Constable - 22
Menegola - 21
Cuthrie - 20 with 75% DE
Hyphen - 10 with 78.9% DE
Menzel - 18
Duncan - 17
Cunico -17 with 70.6% DE
Stewart - 16
Parsons - 15 with 75% DE

But there were also many horrors.
Only three goals - SavRat, Miers + Menzel
Too many misses
You all know the rest
Megarolas 21 don't look so shit hot Kitty Cat if you put up his DE.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back