Preview Round 19: Geelong V Brisbane, Battle of the Cats - Sat 22nd July 4:35pm @ GABBA

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Love your confidence. Seems odd to say given the year we've had so far, but I think a few lids may get a little loose if we do.

I reckon this is a game where there will be an overreaction whatever the result.

If we win we'll still be rank outsiders to make the 4. So while a win would be a good sign it's still only one game and we need to win 4 finals in a row likely including at least one interstate trip.

If we lose we still should make the 8 if we win our home games. And we'll still need to win 4 in a row in finals to do it.

Either way I will think we're a chance but an outside chance after this weekend. But I bet a win and we'll be the talk of the town and a loss and it'll be considered basically season over.

I don't mind it if people think he's not in our best 22, but to say "we're better without him" is simple untrue for just about any player, let alone one who has given us his all when we needed it over many years, in many positions, under many trying circumstances, and by all accounts is a hugely positive influence on the team culture.
I disagree, we look better in the backline without him.
We look more settled, we look more confident in each other and we look better structured.
But your allowed to have your opinion, I just don’t see the need for him sticking around.

Like I said I’m ok with him going to another club and playing AFL
We gave him 72 games “which I couldn’t believe he’s played that much footy tbh”
He should be proud of all of them, but unless we have a surprise retirement, trade request or serious injury to another key back then Goodluck at another club Sav

I reckon this is a game where there will be an overreaction whatever the result.

If we win we'll still be rank outsiders to make the 4. So while a win would be a good sign it's still only one game and we need to win 4 finals in a row likely including at least one interstate trip.

If we lose we still should make the 8 if we win our home games. And we'll still need to win 4 in a row in finals to do it.

Either way I will think we're a chance but an outside chance after this weekend. But I bet a win and we'll be the talk of the town and a loss and it'll be considered basically season over.

Then you can say for the 1st time this year - that we are a decent chance for the Premiership

Dont want to get into guessing games whether there will be a late out

However as some other posters have posted - Zav Tuohy is in Geelongs best 22 - and i agree with them

Given that fact - and also because he was rested last week - so he is not going to miss 2 weeks in a row - thats basically saying to h\im your nearly finished - which is utter nonsense so i see him as a certainty to be in the 22 - thus because of that - i think Rohan will be the late out unfortunately

I disagree, we look better in the backline without him.
We look more settled, we look more confident in each other and we look better structured.
But your allowed to have your opinion, I just don’t see the need for him sticking around.

Like I said I’m ok with him going to another club and playing AFL
We gave him 72 games “which I couldn’t believe he’s played that much footy tbh”
He should be proud of all of them, but unless we have a surprise retirement, trade request or serious injury to another key back then Goodluck at another club Sav
It might be semantic, but unless you're prepared to say we're a better team with 17 rather than 18 players on the park, what you're effectively saying is simply that you prefer Kolo or Henry or SDK or the settled nature of keeping the more experienced back 6.

It's ok. It's just a pet hate of mine. Instead of saying simply that our current back six look great and that there's no need to change it, people say we look great "without Esava" as if his absence is the defining feature of the team chemistry! By that logic we would look great if a single Patrick Dangerfield took to the field.

It might be semantic, but unless you're prepared to say we're a better team with 17 rather than 18 players on the park, what you're effectively saying is simply that you prefer Kolo or Henry or SDK or the settled nature of keeping the more experienced back 6.

It's ok. It's just a pet hate of mine. Instead of saying simply that our current back six look great and that there's no need to change it, people say we look great "without Esava" as if his absence is the defining feature of the team chemistry! By that logic we would look great if a single Patrick Dangerfield took to the field.
Which ever way I put it it’s the same end result haha
I get how your brain runs and mines just point blank

I agree that this might be the choice if everyone is available (and assuming Sav gets left out)…although if Guthrie makes it back we may have to find another “out” from the current best 22.

I was on the bangwagon that O Henry would get squeezed to a (very good) sub option…but he has started to look more best 22 to me. I still wonder at the pointy end whether they choose on one of Rohan/Henry in the 22 for balance (so they can have more utilities like Duncan/2E/Smith) and the other becomes sub?

btw out of the 3 i would choose to leave out Smith but he has proven to be a big game player so…
If it comes down to choice they'll select Rohan over Ollie.

Then you can say for the 1st time this year - that we are a decent chance for the Premiership

Dont want to get into guessing games whether there will be a late out

However as some other posters have posted - Zav Tuohy is in Geelongs best 22 - and i agree with them

Given that fact - and also because he was rested last week - so he is not going to miss 2 weeks in a row - thats basically saying to h\im your nearly finished - which is utter nonsense so i see him as a certainty to be in the 22 - thus because of that - i think Rohan will be the late out unfortunately
My take too. Zach in for Rohan. Menegola sub.

If we win, I think it doesn't matter at all if we stay 5th- that will give us the knowledge and confidence we can beat a gun team with massive HGA away, interstate. We have not done that yet this season.
Lose, and although it's not season over, it just reinforces our very inconsistent season, and it being sub standard to last year. So for me, THIS is the defining game of our season to date

We have to go toe to toe with them for 4 quarters. It isn't as simple as a 1 point loss ruling us out as contenders and a 1 point win with Daniher hitting the post from 10m out after the final siren meaning "we're back!". Nuance exists.
Nuance does not exist if a team is beaten by a point in an interstate elimination final away. Let's prepare for that not happening. Practice makes perfect.

Last edited:
If it comes down to choice they'll select Rohan over Ollie.
CS said this week that injuries have led to opportunities for Bruhn and Bowes, and to a much lesser extent OH. Made us think immediately that OH is most weeks now a certain starter. We need both him and Rohan. If not a starter, bare minimum, sub

Some comments coming out of open training at the Gabba today...

27 players made an appearance. The 26 named for tomorrow, along with Parf.

Wasn't really a training run at all. The boys basically took shots at goal from various angles under no pressure, and also engaged in some straightforward drills in lanes. Everything was done at about 70% intensity, at best. After half an hour or so, they packed it in and started signing autographs for the fans.

Chucky was a notable absentee from much of what was going on. He appeared to be undergoing some sort of fitness test in front of the conditioning staff, running the wing of the Gabba several times. He never reached top speed and seemed to be a little ginger the entire time. When I asked him how he was looking for tomorrow, he said today wasn't too bad but it would all depend on how he pulled up in the morning. Seems incredibly unlikely to me that he will be risked.

Mena did a bunch of stretches while the other players were running around. He then did some stationary handball drills with Parf. Didn't see him run during the entire session, and he certainly didn't join in with the main group at any point, either. Would have thought he's very long odds to play in the seniors this weekend. And might be pushing it just to back up with the Bankers, based on how he looked out there.

Kudos to so many of the players for hanging around after and signing stacks of gear for the faithful. My son picked up about another ten signatures of 2022 premiership players on his guernsey. Special mention goes to Nigel Lappin and Blitz, who both made a concerted effort to make the day of some fans with special needs as well. Blitz came back several times to engage with the fans, and was dragged off by one of the staffers in the end. Admirable effort from him, no doubt.

Overall, it was well worth attending, considering the time the players gave to the supporters afterwards. And my ten cents based on what we saw would be that it's Tuohy in for Rohan, with Oisin to be sub once again.

#stayclassygeelong

Hell yeah! Living up here in Brisbane, one of my favourite live Hawkins memories is him kicking 6 in atrocious conditions. Everyone else was playing wet weather footy and he's kicking goals like it was a bone-dry night.
YES!!! My favourite game defeating Lions 🦁 at the Gabba 😻

(Log in to remove this ad.)

This weeks awesome preview is bought to you by PzBlinky - it's a great read, so please enjoy:

As the competition trudges through the dense jungle of the last few rounds, with the favourites, challengers, and pretenders seemingly established, a whisper echoes through the leaves..

f5d3d218-2ba3-4a70-9996-f004135a69f8_text.gif

Teams are looking over their shoulder.

Fans are muttering to themselves.

Something is stirring...

Something in the form of...

In Love Cat GIF

Or maybe not. It could all go belly-up this coming Saturday.

This week our trusty band of blue-and-white crusaders face the literal personification of "Lions at home and lambs away"... at their home, of course.

But to see this as just a simple "must win" clash for both sides would be to ignore the rich history between two perennial contenders of the past 4 or 5 years.

So let's dive in...

The story so far

GgmAShTp.jpg%20+%20

Unlike the "to the final bell" qualifying final, 2022's preliminary final was part stomping, part triumphal march into the grand final for the Cats, with the Lions playing the role of the red carpet.

But it isn't always one-way traffic. In 2021, we were given a solid reality check at the Gabba after a run of 5 wins and they edged us by a solitary point at the same venue a couple of years earlier. Sandwiched between those disappointing defeats was a fantastic underdog win in the 2020 preliminary final. At the Cattery, it's been a case of "close enough is NOT good enough" for the Lions more times than they'd care to admit.

That said, it's not just where you play a team, it's when you play them...

A tale of two teams

After a shaky start, the Lions have picked up where they left off last year - nigh invincible at home, and shaky (with an occasional "solid") everywhere else. They have managed to bank enough wins to be holding onto third spot and perhaps a tiny chance to steal second should Port's stumble against Carlton be more serious than first thought.

On the other hand, Geelong partied like it was 1999 after taking all before them last year... and for the first few rounds, it showed. Injuries, new players to the team, and others down on form concocted a foul-tasting form line that has been up and down at dizzying speeds.

1689506896849.png

The last few weeks have been encouraging for the Cats, with resounding wins over the Bombers, Kangas, and Melbourne - and even managing to return from Sydney with 2 vital points despite being outplayed for much of the game.

MCG voodoo aside, the Lions have had their own good run of form, winning 4 of their last 5 until Friday's epic against the Dees.

Gabba-toir or Gabba-gabba-doo?

While a win or loss won't mean the end of the season for either team, it's high stakes on both sides.

A win on the road would keep the Cats one step ahead of the pack, several of whom have soft draws ahead (unlike us). For the Lions, a win would keep them in touch with Port while a loss would probably be the end of their Top 2 aspirations - meaning a QF berth in either Melbourne or Adelaide.

Possible Mano-a-manos

While there are mouth-watering match-ups all over the ground, I've plucked out 3 that could go a long way to deciding the contest...

Andrews vs Hawkins - With Cameron down on form, this could be THE key battle in our forward line (though hopefully our mosquito squad fire up again). Hawk's in great touch - who would've thought he'd be 3rd or 4th in the race for the Coleman 3 weeks into the season? But Andrews is no slouch either, so it will be a fascinating battle as always.

Neale vs O'Connor(?) - Considering Merrick's blanketing of Merrett last week, you'd have to think this was a possibility - especially if you think back to the job on Neale a few years back.

Daniher vs SDK - Daniher is the Lions' leading goal-kicker (I know, I'm as shocked as you) and only SDK really has the height to match him (unless Ratugolea comes back). Arguably one of their better players against the Lions and kicked 2.3, so he'll be a handful for the young Cats star.

There are other questions to be answered, like whether Bews comes back to play on Cameron (personally, the side that played Saturday night looks pretty balanced).

Magic eight-ball says...

Geelong's form has been patchy all year, but it does feel like they're finally getting into a groove and will be up for this one. That said, against a team like the Lions, quiet games from the likes of Cameron and Danger are going to make winning much harder, so hoping for a big game from both.

So the question remains: will the Lions cover muscle up, cover themselves in mud, and lure us into their trap-filled lair... or will we add another trophy to our collection?

Predator1987.jpg

Head says: Lions by 18-24 (too good at home)

Heart says: Cats by 6-12 (after a titanic struggle)

cheeky edit/mod note - please don't like this post, like the one directly below to acknowledge the poster who did the work :thumbsu::)
cats_09 Phenomenal post!!! 😻

PzBlinky well done uploading cats_09’s post 👏🏻

1689934447215.png

Mullin was the sub so if Bews is in there has to be another out.

Rohan was doubtful before the Essendon game then went off numerous times limping.
Jhye, from AFL just now
0011DB4C-1CC1-4F9D-8F8E-A18DE994F72E.jpeg
1689934690984.png

Some comments coming out of open training at the Gabba today...

27 players made an appearance. The 26 named for tomorrow, along with Parf.

Wasn't really a training run at all. The boys basically took shots at goal from various angles under no pressure, and also engaged in some straightforward drills in lanes. Everything was done at about 70% intensity, at best. After half an hour or so, they packed it in and started signing autographs for the fans.

Chucky was a notable absentee from much of what was going on. He appeared to be undergoing some sort of fitness test in front of the conditioning staff, running the wing of the Gabba several times. He never reached top speed and seemed to be a little ginger the entire time. When I asked him how he was looking for tomorrow, he said today wasn't too bad but it would all depend on how he pulled up in the morning. Seems incredibly unlikely to me that he will be risked.

Mena did a bunch of stretches while the other players were running around. He then did some stationary handball drills with Parf. Didn't see him run during the entire session, and he certainly didn't join in with the main group at any point, either. Would have thought he's very long odds to play in the seniors this weekend. And might be pushing it just to back up with the Bankers, based on how he looked out there.

Kudos to so many of the players for hanging around after and signing stacks of gear for the faithful. My son picked up about another ten signatures of 2022 premiership players on his guernsey. Special mention goes to Nigel Lappin and Blitz, who both made a concerted effort to make the day of some fans with special needs as well. Blitz came back several times to engage with the fans, and was dragged off by one of the staffers in the end. Admirable effort from him, no doubt.

Overall, it was well worth attending, considering the time the players gave to the supporters afterwards. And my ten cents based on what we saw would be that it's Tuohy in for Rohan, with Oisin to be sub once again.

#stayclassygeelong
Exactly my thoughts. and Gola will be held back from bankers.

I tend to agree with your interlocutor about Ratugolea.

It's true we only got to see him very briefly in the lockdown role earlier in the season. I don't know about others, but what I saw from Sav there was really impressive. Just playing man-on-man with a key forward, his closing speed and ability to get a spoil in in situations where you thought no defender would have a chance, was superb. It was at least a good deal better than what Kolo can produce, and that's no knock on Kolo. Just an acknowledgement of his limitations.

Having said that, I'd understand if they go with the more settled backline that we played in 2022 for the remainder of the year. Cohesion makes a big difference. Personally I'd like to see Ratugolea given the task on the deep key forward and let SDK play a little more of a creative role.
Cohesion is the key. Saw it last year + we are Premieres 2022 💙🤍🏆💙🤍

Injuries;
Players out of form;
Waiting for the ball to fall into down their throats, only to have oppo intercept;
Hot potato handballs + kicking straight to oppo team;
Other errors, poor goal kicking;
have hindered us.

Still, so many players have excelled.
I’m all for players being on their oppo player, while positioning themselves to be in position, if a team mate fluffs a kick, handball or mark.

It’s rare of me to post regarding the game, these days.

Tend to post mostly light hearted posts as my health is deteriorating.

No sympathy required, there are too many far worse than I.

Just hoping to explain why my super posting has ceased 😉 😉 😉 😉 😉 😉

We looked very focused on Saturday night , seemed to be on a mission - didn't overly celebrate after a goal , just went back to the middle and reloaded for the next one. Song was also very muted.
There was a steely resolve about us and our forward pressure was back big time - just like the GF we pounced on the opposition immediately they took possession. When we bring that at home we're almost impossible to beat.

We seem to be building nicely , let's see what we can do against quality opposition on their home deck who will be very determined after dropping a close one.
Go Catters ;)
Quote:
“didn't overly celebrate after a goal , just went back to the middle and reloaded for the next one.”
Except Cameron, who is elite when his teammates kick goals 😻

Cohesion is the key. Saw it last year + we are Premieres 2022 💙🤍🏆💙🤍

Injuries;
Players out of form;
Waiting for the ball to fall into down their throats, only to have oppo intercept;
Hot potato handballs + kicking straight to oppo team;
Other errors, poor goal kicking;
have hindered us.

Still, so many players have excelled.
I’m all for players being on their oppo player, while positioning themselves to be in position, if a team mate fluffs a kick, handball or mark.

It’s rare of me to post regarding the game, these days.

Tend to post mostly light hearted posts as my health is deteriorating.

No sympathy required, there are too many far worse than I.

Just hoping to explain why my super posting has ceased 😉 😉 😉 😉 😉 😉
We have missed you around here.
It’s good to see you back along with your always positive stance towards everything
Wishing you all the best

Only takes losing that slight yard mentally or physically and you suddenly become a bit of a liability, the games only getting faster, even Duncan is starting to look very old at times.
I feel the same way about Duncan as I used to feel watching Harry Taylor. Looks like he can't run, looking at him in the 2nd quarter thinking he can't possibly run it out. Then you see him just pop up in the right place, gather, nail a perfect 45m diagonal kick into the corridor. Check the stats and he's had 25. How?!

Just keep him going

If their output is similar maybe you err on youth, but Bowes has to bridge the gap first.
I have to say though I've nearly come full circle on Bowes.

Could be handy > he looks good > needs a bit of time > nah he's s*** > could be handy

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back