Preview Round 19: Geelong V Brisbane, Battle of the Cats - Sat 22nd July 4:35pm @ GABBA

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
I wouldn't be shocked if Geelong doesnt lose for the rest of the year. Our team's superiority has been evident, as we were leading at halftime against both Port Adelaide and Collingwood on their home ground, despite our injury issues. Even if we face a setback this week against Brisbane, I have full confidence in the boys to replicate their performance from those two previously mentioned encounters.

Agree with you. Welcome. Good positive start!

An even bigger factor for me than that is Mike Tyson's famous words: 'Everybody has a plan until they get punched in the mouth.'

It's all very well 'knowing' what the opposition is going to bring. You still have to fashion the right personnel and the ability to execute your own agenda for the game.

Did anyone not 'know' what the Cats were up to when we went 16-0 at the end of 2022? More to the point, did 'knowing it' really help them to stop it?

Yeah, that's what I thought as well.
That is exactly what I said when he replied to me

Simply wrong about Tuohy, clearly in our best 22 on this year's form.

Yep I'm in disbelief about the poor form calls.

:thumbsu: Have to agree with those statements.

Anyway, as for tomorrows game, looks one of the strongest sides we've fielded all year, the MC have made the right call by leaving out Ratugolea IMO, but still think this may be a bridge too far unfortunately, Lions form at the Gabba is pretty daunting, eight zip with an average winning margin of around forty points.

If we do happen to get the choccies however (and I'm not discounting the possibility) I'll REALLY start getting excited about our chances.

Can't say I'm brimming with confidence for this game.
I've just finished ironing the 2007 polo to wear I'll be flying the colours at the GABBA tomorrow and full expect the Cats to do the same and win.This is not a feared ground for us and IMHO we are at about full strength so we are in this up to our nuts.

I've just finished ironing the 2007 polo to wear I'll be flying the colours at the GABBA tomorrow and full expect the Cats to do the same and win.This is not a feared ground for us and IMHO we are at about full strength so we are in this up to our nuts.

Oh, we're in it alright, but as we all know, the Lions are a different beast on their home ground.........

I'm interested to see whether we bring the 'hunter' mentality from the first bounce.....I see that, and my confidence will soar.

We will win this
Expecting a replica of the last game against Essendon, as I hold doubts about Brisbane's capabilities. Even if they might prevail tonight, history suggests they will just fold against us in finals.

:thumbsu: Have to agree with those statements.

Anyway, as for tomorrows game, looks one of the strongest sides we've fielded all year, the MC have made the right call by leaving out Ratugolea IMO, but still think this may be a bridge too far unfortunately, Lions form at the Gabba is pretty daunting, eight zip with an average winning margin of around forty points.

If we do happen to get the choccies however (and I'm not discounting the possibility) I'll REALLY start getting excited about our chances.

Love that word. Choccies. Always reminds me of Chocco and the number 119. Not sure of the connection. :joycat:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

He was struggling earlier in the year but he turned it around from the Fremantle game or so onwards. And must importantly started cutting out those few mistakes a match that were really hurting us on the scoreboard (Duncan has been guilty of this at times and it is an easy way to erase 15 good things you do a match).

The issue is that there is now a selection squeeze and a few candidates for being dropped have also bounced back. Without Bews, we need O'Connor. I've been tough on Z.Guthrie as he dropped his level considerably but he has also found his mojo recently.

So, who to drop? It might come down to picking two of Duncan, Tuohy and Smith but not all three.
I agree that this might be the choice if everyone is available (and assuming Sav gets left out)…although if Guthrie makes it back we may have to find another “out” from the current best 22.

I was on the bangwagon that O Henry would get squeezed to a (very good) sub option…but he has started to look more best 22 to me. I still wonder at the pointy end whether they choose on one of Rohan/Henry in the 22 for balance (so they can have more utilities like Duncan/2E/Smith) and the other becomes sub?

btw out of the 3 i would choose to leave out Smith but he has proven to be a big game player so…

I'm starting to dislike the time it takes Smith to hit up a (very obvious) target coming out of defence. Multiple times slow.
So I pick him. :)
You and I on same page. Pick him to miss out…

I know he helped win us a flag so I should feel bad - but I get frustrated watching him. He constantly runs into positions 10-15m away from kicker to get a cheap slow short mark. Then takes ages to bomb. At his best he can break the lines and that can help in big finals….so wouldn’t be surprised if club sticks with him but I would not be unhappy if he got squeezed out

You are absolutely right and CS and his love for Sav but it’s painfully obvious how much better we’re in the backline without him.
I’ve said previous yes he will make it as a backman, but not with us and that’s fine
We don’t need him
I don't mind it if people think he's not in our best 22, but to say "we're better without him" is simple untrue for just about any player, let alone one who has given us his all when we needed it over many years, in many positions, under many trying circumstances, and by all accounts is a hugely positive influence on the team culture.

So for me 2E has to be sub. They aren’t going to give him 2 full games off and I can’t see him playing VFL! To me 2E sub and Gola will be holdback (from VFL) as Oisin needs to play as does Sav (Both in VFL).

The only possibility floated earlier in the week is whether Rohan is late out?

Love your confidence. Seems odd to say given the year we've had so far, but I think a few lids may get a little loose if we do.
My faith never really dwindled as soon as Collingwood, Port Adelaide and Brisbane became apparent as the three best sides.

In other words, three historical chokers make up the contenders this year.

We've only got to get hot for the last two months of the year and back to back is a huge chance.

Quietly confident
Just need to keep finding form and keep everyone on the park

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back