Preview Round 19: Geelong V Brisbane, Battle of the Cats - Sat 22nd July 4:35pm @ GABBA

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Payne allows him to play loose and he just reels in easy intercept marks, Geelong have to make him accountable.
With Hawkins and Cameron you'd think Andrews would have to do some defending. Other wise you probably have Lester trying to reel in Cameron and Stacervich trying to lei up with Rohan.

I think the threat we bring though has to be ground level. They seem a little tall and slowin the backline to deal with a Close-Miers-Stengle-Rohan combo

Forms been average all year doesnt really deserve to just waltz back into a side in form, think Bowes has took his spot essentially.

At this stage I think Bowes has taken Bews spot, and with Tuohy often playing further up the ground we essentially swapped the veterans last week with Smith in & Tuohy managed

Simply wrong about Tuohy, clearly in our best 22 on this year's form.
Nah, when you're picking between 25/26 year olds or 33 year olds you back the younger talent, Tuohy would understand that though, hes said multiple times he doesnt want to stand in the way of the future of the club pretty selfless, is the best option as a sub of all the guys aswell doubt he has a problem with it.

Tuohy has been a champion but if the list is fit hes very much borderline best 22.

Nah, when you're picking between 25 year olds or 33 year olds you back the younger talent, Tuohy would understand that though, hes said multiple times he doesnt want to stand in the way of the future of the club pretty selfless, is the best option as a sub of all the guys aswell doubt he has a problem with it.
On this season's form he is still clearly in our best 22; but if the MC decides they want to use other selection criteria, well they will.

Nah, when you're picking between 25/26 year olds or 33 year olds you back the younger talent, Tuohy would understand that though, hes said multiple times he doesnt want to stand in the way of the future of the club pretty selfless, is the best option as a sub of all the guys aswell doubt he has a problem with it.

Tuohy has been a champion but if the list is fit hes very much borderline best 22.
Who is replacing him that has better form?

Bowes? No
Mullin? No
Knevitt? No (and i want him in)
Dempsey? No

Although we may be able to afford one more loss, I'd prefer it to be against a team like Freo that is not going to be featuring in September, true to our form this year, with losses to GWS, GC, Carlton, Richmond, and the Swans draw.
If we can not beat Brisbane tomorrow, how would that give us any hope if we meet them in September up there?
We have a tough finals like warmup to September, and it started last week, but imagining a run like last year is just really difficult imho. If we beat Brisbane, that really would put us into contender status. We can say that we'll learn something from that loss and use that later, but they're just words.
We need actions, having put ourselves in this position.

Is not like he's putting forward anything oppo analysts don't already know
An even bigger factor for me than that is Mike Tyson's famous words: 'Everybody has a plan until they get punched in the mouth.'

It's all very well 'knowing' what the opposition is going to bring. You still have to fashion the right personnel and the ability to execute your own agenda for the game.

Did anyone not 'know' what the Cats were up to when we went 16-0 at the end of 2022? More to the point, did 'knowing it' really help them to stop it?

Yeah, that's what I thought as well.

Yep I'm in disbelief about the poor form calls.
He was struggling earlier in the year but he turned it around from the Fremantle game or so onwards. And must importantly started cutting out those few mistakes a match that were really hurting us on the scoreboard (Duncan has been guilty of this at times and it is an easy way to erase 15 good things you do a match).

The issue is that there is now a selection squeeze and a few candidates for being dropped have also bounced back. Without Bews, we need O'Connor. I've been tough on Z.Guthrie as he dropped his level considerably but he has also found his mojo recently.

So, who to drop? It might come down to picking two of Duncan, Tuohy and Smith but not all three.

With Hawkins and Cameron you'd think Andrews would have to do some defending. Other wise you probably have Lester trying to reel in Cameron and Stacervich trying to lei up with Rohan.

I think the threat we bring though has to be ground level. They seem a little tall and slowin the backline to deal with a Close-Miers-Stengle-Rohan combo

With no Blics, Cameron or Hawkins (add Sav who played well and Parfitt) Andrews had a feast early this year in our practice match loss of 46 points.
Other than that, both teams were similiar to this weeks selections, Ashcroft and Dunkley ruling the midfield. Gunston good but since lost form.
Exception most likely missing Fort this game, who kicked 2.

Three mighty big "thats" we have back, found our groove and more on the line than a pre season puffer too.
We're going to smash those paddle pops.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

He was struggling earlier in the year but he turned it around from the Fremantle game or so onwards. And must importantly started cutting out those few mistakes a match that were really hurting us on the scoreboard (Duncan has been guilty of this at times and it is an easy way to erase 15 good things you do a match).

The issue is that there is now a selection squeeze and a few candidates for being dropped have also bounced back. Without Bews, we need O'Connor. I've been tough on Z.Guthrie as he dropped his level considerably but he has also found his mojo recently.

So, who to drop? It might come down to picking two of Duncan, Tuohy and Smith but not all three.

I'm starting to dislike the time it takes Smith to hit up a (very obvious) target coming out of defence. Multiple times slow.
So I pick him. :)

Who is replacing him that has better form?

Bowes? No
Mullin? No
Knevitt? No (and i want him in)
Dempsey? No
Bowes runs out a 4 quarter game miles better than Tuohy, which is to be expected from a guy thats 8 years younger, theres a reason hes being picked first when both are now fully fit, being able to run through the middle is also that extra string that gets him picked first, think the decision is between Smith and Tuohy really in all honesty.

Last edited:
I'm starting to dislike the time it takes Smith to hit up a (very obvious) target coming out of defence. Multiple times slow.
So I pick him. :)
Only takes losing that slight yard mentally or physically and you suddenly become a bit of a liability, the games only getting faster, even Duncan is starting to look very old at times.

Tuohy has been excellent over the past month in my humble. I'd be surprised if the MC doesn't see it that way too and I expect him to be in the finals team, should we get there. Further the deep kick which Rohan marked was vital in toppling the Pies in that final.
He was pathetic against Melbourne lets be real, absolute shank session, wasn't alone but plays a role where you really can't afford to butcher it that badly.

Reality is weve got a pretty good 26 or 27 players are going to be unlucky and its generally the more older guys that get squeezed out unless they are absolutely on fire.

Last edited:
Only takes losing that slight yard mentally or physically and you suddenly become a bit of a liability, the games only getting faster, even Duncan is starting to look very old at times.

His running power keeps our Normie in the game, but I get the feeling he knows it might not be enough. Serviceable but a run of error ridden games. He's still hungry for a goal, which is great, but not if you do the old Under 10 arms out shoulda- been- me (when out-optioned).
For some reason Duncan is looking clumsy over the ball on occasion, but still integral, hopefully run into smoother form.

If their output is similar maybe you err on youth, but Bowes has to bridge the gap first.

Was a fork in the road moment with Sav after being managed.

Was he really "managed" or was he just out of the B22.

Cards seem to have finally been shown and I'm not overly surprised.

He may get back in to cover somebody but I now am nearly fully convinced that MC doesn't see him as best 22... Where I was unsure in the past what they were going to do.

Something funky could still happen because CS seems to love Sav.

Was a fork in the road moment with Sav after being managed.

Was he really "managed" or was he just out of the B22.

Cards seem to have finally been shown and I'm not overly surprised.

He may get back in to cover somebody but I now am nearly fully convinced that MC doesn't see him as best 22... Where I was unsure in the past what they were going to do.

Something funky could still happen because CS seems to love Sav.
You are absolutely right and CS and his love for Sav but it’s painfully obvious how much better we’re in the backline without him.
I’ve said previous yes he will make it as a backman, but not with us and that’s fine
We don’t need him

I wouldn't be shocked if Geelong doesnt lose for the rest of the year. Our team's superiority has been evident, as we were leading at halftime against both Port Adelaide and Collingwood on their home ground, despite our injury issues. Even if we face a setback this week against Brisbane, I have full confidence in the boys to replicate their performance from those two previously mentioned encounters.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back