Review JLT2: Freo vs Eagles

Remove this Banner Ad

Bit of a worry when Spurr and Danyle are picked. I thought we'd moved on from them last year and so we should've. Surely we've got better options on our squad than them.
Look I agree, and won't go into a justification, although obviously there would be one. And I would couple that with Righteo's (...what I think is a...) cryptic criticism of the number of talls vs running players in our 24. Speed seems to be a potential strength for us. Run and stun.

What I do like though is that Lyon will surely be pitting our most realistic forward line against one of the best defensive units. Good battle, which we will almost certainly loose, but will also learn from.

Meek is probably only in to manage Sandilands’ minutes. Darcy probably gets more benefit out of playing a full game at Peel.

Our starting 18 is quite small. I hope Kersten and McCarthy are fighting for the last spot in the side tbh. I find it strange that only Taberner is named in the forward line and that Hamling who’s clearly best 18 is on the bench. Hopefully at least one of the Hills comes back and replaces D.Pearce for round one.

Disappointed Hughes is behind Spurr and Sutcliffe due to carrying a wrist injury. He’d be in my best 22 quite easily.

The other four oldies are worth a go imo. If the season really goes pear shaped then Ballantyne and Johnson can start playing less. Sandilands and Mundy will always be worth their spots until they decide they want to hang them up.

Whats worrying for me is that there seems to be very little forward progression. I was pretty sure we had given Spurr, Suttcliffe and D.Pearce a shot and had moved past them by the end of last year and yet heading into the first round this year all 3 look strong possibilities of getting a game. If every season we're taking a look back at what veterans we might be able to give another try instead of looking at the potential of our kids than we aren't really rebuilding are we...

Whats worrying for me is that there seems to be very little forward progression. I was pretty sure we had given Spurr, Suttcliffe and D.Pearce a shot and had moved past them by the end of last year and yet heading into the first round this year all 3 look strong possibilities of getting a game. If every season we're taking a look back at what veterans we might be able to give another try instead of looking at the potential of our kids than we aren't really rebuilding are we...

The squad this week includes a stack of youngbloods that we've only just drafted/traded. Brayshaw, Matera, Wilson, Meek, Banfield with Cerra as an emergency. You sound like we're only playing 50 year olds.

Each and every one of the 18 year olds in the league, with rare exception, are drafted on their potential to be great footballers - at 18 years old, when they run out of breath because they haven't built their tank yet or are ragdolled because they haven't built their strength up, they are not A grade footballers - they are still only potential A grade footballers and will take a few years to get there.

That's where the old hands are useful, even if they don't have the same talent. They don't get wierded out by tens of thousands of people yelling, they know the team structures etc, they help to transition the young uns from stick figure high school kids that have been driven by their mums everywhere into full bodied, independent AFL playing men. Hate em all you want, but until they are cut from the list, Spurr, Suttcliffe and DPearce have a role still.

The squad this week includes a stack of youngbloods that we've only just drafted/traded. Brayshaw, Matera, Wilson, Meek, Banfield with Cerra as an emergency. You sound like we're only playing 50 year olds.

Each and every one of the 18 year olds in the league, with rare exception, are drafted on their potential to be great footballers - at 18 years old, when they run out of breath because they haven't built their tank yet or are ragdolled because they haven't built their strength up, they are not A grade footballers - they are still only potential A grade footballers and will take a few years to get there.

That's where the old hands are useful, even if they don't have the same talent. They don't get wierded out by tens of thousands of people yelling, they know the team structures etc, they help to transition the young uns from stick figure high school kids that have been driven by their mums everywhere into full bodied, independent AFL playing men. Hate em all you want, but until they are cut from the list, Spurr, Suttcliffe and DPearce have a role still.

danyle is king of being pushed off the ball and rag dolled. The others I can see your point but he is bloody useless.

I agree but how many old hands do you need? Wilson and Matera are both seasoned AFL vets and Banfield just won a WAFL BnF. They aren't newbie 18 yr olds and should be able to hold their own. Brayshaw will end up being our only debut.

Not to mention we are talking JLT here. We know exactly what we are getting from our older guys yet they have been prioritized over our youngsters at every opportunity. I think Ross has deluded himself into thinking we are a good chance for finals (just like last year) and is slowing the rebuild once again.

Darcy dropped. Looked good in the scrstchie. Hopefully rested for round 1
I'd say they just want Sandy to play over half the game this time round, and to keep Darcy's minutes right for him too, he'll be playing for Peel this week instead.

I'm just happy that Sheridan was not named in the 24. Any player on our list please except him.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I agree but how many old hands do you need? Wilson and Matera are both seasoned AFL vets and Banfield just won a WAFL BnF. They aren't newbie 18 yr olds and should be able to hold their own. Brayshaw will end up being our only debut.

Not to mention we are talking JLT here. We know exactly what we are getting from our older guys yet they have been prioritized over our youngsters at every opportunity. I think Ross has deluded himself into thinking we are a good chance for finals (just like last year) and is slowing the rebuild once again.
Ross is not deluded. Both Hills and Logue could miss Round 1, Lyon is preparing for that, at least Sheridan was not named :poo:
Spurr, Sutcliffe and D.Pearce know where they sit and it's not in the best 22.

I have recurring nightmares of both Spurr and D.Pearce’s efforts against Port in 2017 round 2.

Sutcliffe has shown he is a level above WAFL but he really needs to tidy up his skills. I’ve been saying this for 2-years so might be on borrowed time but I’m guessing with him and Ballers Rosco is giving them another week to sort out their s*#t, plus Sutcliffe played reduced mins in G1 with concussion and Ballers only played a half last week.

Buggered if I know why Danyle has played all three scratchies and AFLX. I’m guessing that Spurr is warming the seat until someone better (ie Logue or Hughes) are up and running and perhaps (again buggered if I must be really honest) Danyle is a contingency plan should both Hill boys be unavailable for rd 1.

We haven't even played round 1 and your basically deriding Ross for not playing Brayshaw, Cerra etc - I think your jumping the gun.

History tells us this, youngsters weren't overlooked last year. Logue 13 games , Darcy 8, Cox 10.

DPearce 7, Sutcliffe 13, Sheridan 9 sat out over half of the games last year because they just didn't make the 22. They'll play less games this year, bookmark it.

We've turned over half the list, I don't see that as prioritising age over youngsters as you suggest, that's a serious rebuild in progress.

History tells us this, youngsters weren't overlooked last year. Logue 13 games , Darcy 8, Cox 10.

They were overlooked for round 1 though, because the club legitimately thought we were a finals chance. Then after we got smashed in the first 2 games, we played the youngsters.

We played the 22 oldest players on our list in rd 1 last year. So "history tells us" that we'll do the same this year, since no club goes in to the season planning to lose. If the season looks like another write off then we'll certainly start picking younger players ahead of Ballantyne, Spurr etc. If.

This time last year neither Wilson or Ryan had played an AFL game for Freo. This year they are our mainstays for distributing from D50. That’s a huge improvement right there.

Hopefully Danyle, Spurr and Sutcliffe are just covering injured players - given the level at which those guys turnover the ball, it is frustrating that those names aren’t Cerra, Crowden and North. But their time will come.

It’s really important we reward Cerra with game time this year if he does the work.

Pearce 7, Sutcliffe 13, Sheridan 9 sat out over half of the games last year because they just didn't make the 22. They'll play less games this year, bookmark it.

We've turned over half the list, I don't see that as prioritising age over youngsters as you suggest, that's a serious rebuild in progress.

So why are they back in the 22? What have they done so spectacularly over summer to change that thinking?
I think that's what's frustrating so many supporters atm. We'd moved on from these and Spurr too so why go back? It's pure Ross.

So why are they back in the 22? What have they done so spectacularly over summer to change that thinking?
I think that's what's frustrating so many supporters atm. We'd moved on from these and Spurr too so why go back? It's pure Ross.
Our golden era is way over, and yet the scar's remain. The remaining role players, some have never recovered. Ross's
coaching forges the strongest steel, but on the way you break a lot of swords.
Its better to start again than trying to fix what is broken.

Simon Eastaugh made a statement in his interview saying that With Fyfe Mundy Neale Aand Brayshaw they had their full strength engine room in.

I don’t think the coaching staff are getting enough credit. We will need some all hats to help rally all the newbies in understanding or game plan

Simon Eastaugh made a statement in his interview saying that With Fyfe Mundy Neale Aand Brayshaw they had their full strength engine room in.

I don’t think the coaching staff are getting enough credit. We will need some all hats to help rally all the newbies in understanding or game plan

Agree. It’s just seeing Danyle named mainly that is irking most of us.

I’m sure once he is out of the team that’ll be it but it’s still frustrating when it’s a new season. We are all enthused about the season and when you see the same old players named, it sort of brings us back to reality about where our team is at.

I’m sure what would be happening is if Danyle has been better than Crowden for example in the pre season, the match committee are selecting DP regardless of past failings. They are rewarding players for strong preseasons which is fair enough. The instance DP fails, he will probably be out of the side for good. He is going to probably be the one to make way for Hill and Hill anyway. Ross and co know his shortcomings hence why he barely played last year.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I can agree with most of that. We saw how GWS went went the only played kids and had no core of experienced bodies to help them out.

Where I can't agree with you is using players like Sutcliffe, Pearce and to lesser extent Spurr. Playing them because they are experienced players simply doesn't add up here. We have a core of experienced, hardened players who are AFL quality. We don't need to hang on to players that we know are not AFL quality.

We have a central core with Fyfe, Mundy, Sandi, Neale, HillS, HillB, Walters etc. We have younger guys coming through with some experience like Tabs, Sunshine, Kersten etc and now a large bunch of kids with 2 years experience or less. The essential part of the argument is we have that hardened core for the kids to build around.

Sutcliffe, Pearce, Sheridan and Spurr don't really make the grade. Playing them means you don't get game time into the kids who should be replacing them and they are not going to win us any games anyway, especially games that count. I also think by the end of the year, you can add MJ and Ballas to that list, so all the more reason to build fo rthe future and get games into the young players now and try to reap the rewards in future seasons

What have they done? Sheridan won the 2 km preseason time trial, with Sutcliffe the runner up. Or do you mean, aside from the better sanitation and medicine and irrigation and public health and roads and a freshwater system and baths and public order, what have the romans ever done for us?

We may not have both Hills for round 1, the reality is that not all players can play on the wing. So amongst a few others that haven't locked down a role, Sheridan, Sutcliffe and Pearce are legitimate contenders.

Also, For the JLT, that's 28 that we listed this week and not 22.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back