List Mgmt. 2018 St Kilda Trade Thread Part 1

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
If we get him either as a forward or a back, it shows the club does not have a lot of confidence in either our backline or forwards.
or he is a better option ...
tell me if given the chance would you have traded out Dal to grab Judd ?? doesnt mean you lost faith in Dal just Judd was the better player ...

come on you know that the dollar figures touted are not a true reflection .. i have confidence that the club would be talking about what they deem to be a good price for him .. the $1.4 is just his manager trying to get WCE to up their offer

I have no idea just as you don't. Liam Pickering would have more idea. Not a accurate amount but he certain to know more than us so at the moment until we hear otherwise I will go with him. Just like I would trust mowman to quote a lawn mowing job better than you. Hope you don't mow lawns.

Is Bruce getting 1.4 million? Its so simple for you but unfortunately we have a SC. How many clubs have spent close to 2 million on 2 key backs? 18 clubs so I gather a few. Even 1.5 million will do. Actually has any club even go 2 highly paid backs from other clubs especially when the midfield wouldn't be in the top 10 in the AFL.

I await your answers.
did you have the same conerns when we got Hamil and Gehrig ?
i mean we were in a similar position with ok to decent forwards and backs but we went out and grabbed better ones ...

did you have the same conerns when we got Hamil and Gehrig ?
i mean we were in a similar position with ok to decent forwards and backs but we went out and grabbed better ones ...

Cant remember who were our forwards then but I do know nearly every side played at least 3 marking players. Was ecstatic to get both. However both were HFF so I don't understand the link. We also got picks one and two in the draft.

Unfortunately it's not like going to a shop and buying a mid off the shelf.

It comes down to who is available.

No doubt the priority will be a mid, but if we can't get a suitable one then I don't see the issue.

In fact even if we could get one, I'd still go the Gov if we can afford it.

i dont rate Gaff ... he is good at getting cheapy possesions when everything is rolling along well for his team but when was the last time you saw a game where you saw Gaff grab the game and will his team over the line ? it doesnt happen Shuey yes but Gaff is like grabbing Chad Fletcher during the Cousin, Judd Kerr period lets just see how effective Gaff is now WCE will rely on him to do the heavy lifting in the guts for them.. Gaff is the type of player we need but for the cost and having to deal with the WCE sorry i reckon there are cheaper better options
Who are the cheaper and better options?

As far as getting guys that grab the game by the scruff of the neck, we had a crack at two of them last year and neither wanted to come.

Recruiting isn’t always about grabbing Brownlow medalists and hall of famers. Have a look at what Richmond did last off season and what Port did this off season. Recruited for needs and gradually improved their side.

And as for not being effective without players doing the heavy lifting, well that’s all part of being an outside player unfortunately. But fortunately for us we have plenty of those type of guys.

Where has anyone stated we should prioritise him over a mid?

For someone who claims this is all BS, why are you still discussing it?

I never said it was BS, I said we are talking crap because none of us know who is available and who isn't. I have already said if we have no choices come trade time apart from McGovern I would look at it but people just say we should take him with thinking there isn't any consequences like SC or other players being available and we cant get them because of the money spent on him.

Anyway headmaster I will continue to speak on what I want. I have enough real friends so if computer friends don't like me well it will hurt but I'm sure I will get over it.

I never said it was BS, I said we are talking crap because none of us know who is available and who isn't. I have already said if we have no choices come trade time apart from McGovern I would look at it but people just say we should take him with thinking there isn't any consequences like SC or other players being available and we cant get them because of the money spent on him.

Anyway headmaster I will continue to speak on what I want. I have enough real friends so if computer friends don't like me well it will hurt but I'm sure I will get over it.
Who is doing that ? utter rubbish

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Who are the cheaper and better options?

As far as getting guys that grab the game by the scruff of the neck, we had a crack at two of them last year and neither wanted to come.

Recruiting isn’t always about grabbing Brownlow medalists and hall of famers. Have a look at what Richmond did last off season and what Port did this off season. Recruited for needs and gradually improved their side.

And as for not being effective without players doing the heavy lifting, well that’s all part of being an outside player unfortunately. But fortunately for us we have plenty of those type of guys.
im just a fan so ill go with what the club go with but being in perth i have the unfortunate luck of seeing every single WCE game and honestly there is a lot of over rating of Gaff ... no doubt he is a good player and no doubt he will improve the list but for us to move him without WCE matching we are going to be paying significant overs and from past experiances the WCE dont make life easy for trading out players they want to keep. remember the shitstorm trying to get Mitch Brown over here sure as a free agent it might be easier provided they dont match the contract..

im just a fan so ill go with what the club go with but being in perth i have the unfortunate luck of seeing every single WCE game and honestly there is a lot of over rating of Gaff ... no doubt he is a good player and no doubt he will improve the list but for us to move him without WCE matching we are going to be paying significant overs and from past experiances the WCE dont make life easy for trading out players they want to keep. remember the shitstorm trying to get Mitch Brown over here sure as a free agent it might be easier provided they dont match the contract..
Yep, luckily I have fox footy so I’m lucky to see the majority of WC games too. I know he’s not Nar Fyfe or Dusty Martin but I also know he was very important to West Coasts side when they were contending for a flag and he remains and important part of their side.

As for paying overs, we are a small club that hasn’t played finals for seven years. Unless we are chasing more players seeking opportunities, no one is coming here unless it’s for overs.

We also have so much room in our cap that we continue to front load contracts. If we don’t find players to fill that gap soon we’ll have to start over paying players we already have on our list.

i would say the club would have a much much better idea than the lawnmower man about how to manage the SC and also what players are available to us and who are not... they are in the business of making our team stronger within the restraints of the SC so if that means they spend big on McG then that means that was the best option given the information in front of them ...
as you said before let lawnmower men quote cutting lawns .. let list managers balance the SC ..

Is Bruce getting 1.4 million? Its so simple for you but unfortunately we have a SC. How many clubs have spent close to 2 million on 2 key backs? 18 clubs so I gather a few. Even 1.5 million will do. Actually has any club even go 2 highly paid backs from other clubs especially when the midfield wouldn't be in the top 10 in the AFL.

I await your answers.

To your 3rd question, I could only think of Phil Davis + Heath Shaw.

So just for clarity on this issue.

Who is the quality mid that has been reported in the football media that is not the priority over McGovern for the STKFC?

Can someone point me to the press release where the STKFC has stated our priorities on what we are attempting to recruit?

Thanks in Advance

On [device_name] using BigFooty.com mobile app

Yep, luckily I have fox footy so I’m lucky to see the majority of WC games too. I know he’s not Nar Fyfe or Dusty Martin but I also know he was very important to West Coasts side when they were contending for a flag and he remains and important part of their side.

As for paying overs, we are a small club that hasn’t played finals for seven years. Unless we are chasing more players seeking opportunities, no one is coming here unless it’s for overs.

We also have so much room in our cap that we continue to front load contracts. If we don’t find players to fill that gap soon we’ll have to start over paying players we already have on our list.
i just think if you are going to pay overs for something you pay overs for the best money can buy ... Gaff doesnt say that to me.. i cant see members lining the street to get a membership cause of Gaff... i cant see kids lining up to get Gaff's signature.. Gaff isnt going to be the "face of the club" type player ... i dont want to be paying top dollar for that ... but again im just a fan so if the club choose that way ill cheer him on but i personally dont rate him

So if McGovern is available and wants to come to us then we should go for it.

Unless an elite mid is interested in coming do us and taking McGovern would mean we couldn’t get him (for example McGovern’s salary + improved contracts on the existing players we want to keep stretches us).

Not sure what the heat is here, people are pretty much agreed but arguing over semantics.

Priority is improving the midfield, if we can do that and also get McGovern then great.

Serious question, is any other club paying a KPD over $1mil per year?

If the figures quoted are accurate I’d be concerned that our existing high end player like Billings will want a lot more given we’re paying a defender so much.

i just think if you are going to pay overs for something you pay overs for the best money can buy ... Gaff doesnt say that to me.. i cant see members lining the street to get a membership cause of Gaff... i cant see kids lining up to get Gaff's signature.. Gaff isnt going to be the "face of the club" type player ... i dont want to be paying top dollar for that ... but again im just a fan so if the club choose that way ill cheer him on but i personally dont rate him
Well WC obviously rate him, otherwise they would have done a deal with us last year when we had two first round picks.

As for only paying overs for the best money can buy, without trying to go around in circles, we tried that, none of them want to come.

I’ll happily do what Richmond and Port have done recently and just try and improve our list. If the money doesn’t go to Gaff it will only eventually have to go to the underperforming players on our list.

So if McGovern is available and wants to come to us then we should go for it.

Unless an elite mid is interested in coming do us and taking McGovern would mean we couldn’t get him (for example McGovern’s salary + improved contracts on the existing players we want to keep stretches us).

Not sure what the heat is here, people are pretty much agreed but arguing over semantics.

Priority is improving the midfield, if we can do that and also get McGovern then great.

Serious question, is any other club paying a KPD over $1mil per year?

If the figures quoted are accurate I’d be concerned that our existing high end player like Billings will want a lot more given we’re paying a defender so much.
Priority is improving the side.
Maybe Rance ?

would rather let Gaff stay at WCE ... Sloane i would take for the marketing side of it and cause he is a quallity player but he isnt going to be the big differance to make us push for finals ...
Gov is a surpluss to our needs but he is a special quality player that would make us significantly stronger , doesnt suit our obvious needs but hey you dont trun down the chance at a future AA

I’m with you there. I think I’ll back in our current crop.
Burn the salary cap on something really special.

The only thing that makes me paranoid about our aggressive attack on FA is the ability to keep harmony in the squad regarding salaries. Basically not impacting our ability to retain players that are key to our immediate and short term future success.

Who on our current list do you think would expect a significant pay rise on their next contract or be a flight risk?

Obviously discount players that are not critical to our game plan and chances of success. So it’s players that are already on an upward trajectory and would attract interest elsewhere so have some bargaining power - not including players probably already at their peak.

Without knowing the players salaries I’d be guessing at

- Billings
- Gresham
- Acres
- Membrey
- Ross? (Can’t remember when he last extended)
- Dunstan (if he continues where he left off)
- McCartin (if he has a good couple of years)
- Sinclair

If they perform as expected then I’d also add
- Clark
- Coffield

I do trust the club to manage the SC obviously, just a paranoid dickhead.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back