Review Round 3 vs Brisbane

Remove this Banner Ad

Yes it would because he would spend 50% of the game on his arse on the bench not being physically fit enough to run 10+ks while also contest in the ruck against someone 12kgs heavier.
Frampton got around fine the other night. Rather have Westhoff doing what he wants rather then rendering him useless in ruck. If we lose the ruck than so be it, atleast our structure survives and our mids are ready for it.

Post Sydney
579546.jpg

Post Brisbane
580681.jpg

Lobbe was getting picked for years what KPIs was he hitting? After Friday he has to be a chance surely. Martin getting 30 possessions today and 49 hitouts wouldnt of been what the coaches expected.
Distance over the game is a big one, if the ruckman isn't covering an expected distance they're going to struggle getting to contests in the first place let alone contesting them.

i think the coaches did well against Freo and the Swans. I think the Brisbane coaches coached really well to their strengths and our weakness. Thank the lord that we had that third quarter before their coaches adjusted. They knew they had a ruck advantage and used it really well. Well coached.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Full credit to Brisbane. They came over with an effective game plan which really put us on the back foot for much of the game. They were cleaner out of the middle. They were clean with the ball and very quick in terms of movement. We had trouble keeping up with them when they were running. They found space in their forward line and their backline did their job for most of the game.

We just couldn't get going. I'm not sure if it was arrogance, or whether it was a bit of fatigue with a 5 1/2 day break and a tough game last week, or maybe it was just one of those days, but i'm glad we got the win. Many times over the years we wouldn't have. That last quarter looked like it was on rails and you could see a farcical 1 point loss coming from about 5 minutes into the last quarter as we started to stuff around with the ball inside 50 and insisted on failing to ice the game with about 7 chances.

You can't win pretty every week, you can't smash supposed poor opposition every week. Every year premiership sides win tough against worse opposition. We'll learn a lot from today.

One thing that must be fixed is Westhoff in the ruck. It doesn't work. It's never worked. It never will work. He can't jump, he can't tap, he gets nowhere near it. Fix it.

PLAYER REVIEWS
Polec - For the most part that was one of the worst games i've seen him play. His first half was nothing short of pathetic. Mistake after mistake, doing the same trick over and over again for the same poor result, poor marking and plenty of brain farts. Yes he was better after half time, especially the third time, but it was a similar story in the last again. Has been in great form, and i'm sure many will disagree with my review of his game today, but I just didn't see it today.

S Gray - Very good, a bit lucky at times, still falls over far too much, but he was very very good for much of the day. Clearly his best game for the year

Hartlett - Smart and clever for most of the day, loved his attack at the ball as well. Courageous. Excellent second half.

R Gray - Solid without starring for most of the day. Thought he was good in the second half, though a bit wasteful inside 50.

Bonner - Was good with the ball and still love how much he's taking the game on. Was a bit poor going the other way. Just needs to learn when to go and when to play defensive.

Boak - Poor first half, excellent third quarter, poor last quarter. Big step down from the first two weeks.

Rockliff - Big step up from the last couple of weeks. Starting to work into that flank role well and spent some more time in the middle too. Thought his link up work was great, thought he ran hard and really started to provide a valuable option throughout the match. One of the best.

Wines - Worked hard through the second half under duress. Good game overall.

Westhoff - Just frustrating. Not his fault really, he's just not a ruckman. Thought through the first half he was terrible even with the ball. Was better in the second half around the ground.

Wingard - Was good at times, especially in the third quarter, but he seemed to be in la la land at stages of the game. Not his best effort.

Houston - Was good with the ball, poor defensively.

Ebert - Thought he was all class today. 4 quarter effort, had some really big plays at important times. High in our best.

Jonas - Did a good job shutting out Cameron for a while after his good start. Outside of that he was neither here nor there.

Dixon - I hate it when he plays like today. Every 2nd week I just get frustrated at his loose play. * the umpires, stop giving away stupid free kicks, stupid 50m and just concentrate on winning us games.

Motlop - Excellent. Was a star for most of the day but did fall out of it in the last quarter.

Watts - Wasnt sighted in the first half, thought he really picked up in the third and could have been the match winner in the last but had two efforts inside 50 which were just terrible. First not making the distance from 35 out, second an errant handball to Gray which should have been a walk in goal and iced the game.

SPP - Was good through the first half. Maybe spent a bit too much time niggling at stages. Attacked the ball hard.

Marshall - Loved his goal, very clever. Was clever for most of the game and loved his lead up work across half forward. Just had to stay in the game more.

Howard - Made quite a few mistakes today both in terms of defending and with the ball. Westhoff tore into him in the last quarter.

DBJ - A bit quieter today with the ball. Poor start but did pick up as the game went on

Barry - Really good first quarter, but don't recall anything he did after that

Clurey - Varied from very good to poor for much of the day. Frustrating.

POTY Votes:
8 - S Gray
7 - Motlop, Hartlett, Rockliff, Wines, Ebert
6 - Wingard, SPP
5 - R Gray, Bonner, Marshall
4 - Boak, Jonas, Watts
3 - Houston, Dixon, Howard, DBJ, Clurey
2 - Polec, Westhoff, Barry

Watching the last quarter again we butchered (sorry) 5 gilt edge goal opportunities. That is simply ridiculous and won't happen again. Kick 1 or 2 of those we roll away with that game.

Well done to Brisbane, they came here with a game plan designed to shut us down and did it for long stretches. But we hung tough in that last quarter, were sodomised by the umps and still fought out a brutally tough win. Take the 4 points and look to next week.

Was great to see the much maligned Sam Gray play such a complete high half forward game. Played Sammy.

I wish we would play Frampton but I know we won't. Sometimes you should just take a chance. Occasionally Ken should channel his mentor Blighty and throw a kid a bone.

Didn't mind the commentary of Dwayne, Ricciuto and Derm. Seemed fair although Dwayne seems to see frees against Port in every shadow.

Ken and his coaches spazo dont play proper ruckmen mantra has elevated Stefan Martin into the pantheon of greatness. Billy would have been awake and smashing into him from the start of the game, unlike Hoff.

It will be interesting to see if those 3 dills controlling the game today will give him 3 votes.

Who? Both awesome Friday so that should change.
...and ken is way too conservative to even try

From SportsDaySA Thursday:
MB: Hayes, Ladhams or Frampton, if Charlie wasn't there who have you got in your mind's next?

BL: Look... Sam Hayes is a first year ruck-man and not many first year ruck-men come in in their first year and can play consistent AFL footy, but in saying that he's been very good in the couple of games he's played for us so, he's always improving.

Frampton has been there for three or four years, big bill's working hard getting his form back and is starting to see some good signs in the SANFL

Ladhams is a bit taller and played a game against West Coast.

So they're all probably not quite ready but like you said at some stage we MIGHT need them because if we're rucking Westhoff and Dixon and Howard and Wines at times we might need a first ruck at some stage
---------
That's how the coaches see the three rucks we have.

I just want to repeat how much I hate our supporters sometimes. On the verge of booing our players because they can’t get through a zone, what the actual *.

Because our players are deliberately trying to fail, and your groaning and “JUST KCIK IT FARKEN” is going to make them stop.

Yeah our players weren’t at their best and that sucks, but as supporters we should be on their side.

I just want to repeat how much I hate our supporters sometimes. On the verge of booing our players because they can’t get through a zone, what the actual ****.

Because our players are deliberately trying to fail, and your groaning and “JUST KCIK IT FARKEN” is going to make them stop.

Yeah our players weren’t at their best and that sucks, but as supporters we should be on their side.
they should have to skills to pick their way through a zone like brisbanes fairly effortlessly, but the don't have the footskills to do such a basic thing. That's what frustrates people, the lack of basic skills

Remove this Banner Ad

Back