News Shane Yarran - Found Dead in Home - Rest in Peace

Remove this Banner Ad

RIP. He really won me over after he was drafted to the club. Was just so excited in the video to have been given a chance. So much changed in such a short time. Sending all my love out there to anyone who knew and cared about him.

RIP SH (not referred to by name out of cultural respect).

Although it is not the time for it, I just wonder if Freo could have supported him more post ‘retirement’. In isolation, this has the potential to leave a significant stain on the club and it’s support mechanisms. In context of recent issues at the club, I am concerned.

My initial thoughts as well, but I'm sure the club and well as the AFLPA have offered support over the last couple of years.

I'm disappointed in the lack of acknowledgement from the club though, in a week when the PR machine had been hosing down reports from the Herald Sun, surely a couple of paragraphs recognising a past player couldn't be that hard.

In the end, it doesn't matter. I'm still really sorry that he has gone.

Sad news. I guess sometimes stories just don’t have a happy ending.

RIP

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Absolutely devastated to hear this news!

28 is far too young and tonight really is a reminder that we should all look out for each other no matter what.

My thoughts go out to his family and friends and may he R.I.P :(

Immeasurably sad.
I’ll remember him as an immense talent, and regret what could have been.
Sometimes you can’t recover from the choices you make and it all just gets on top of you.

I’ll remember him as the the man that gave Pav his 700th and the joy he took in that.

Go easy, young man ☹️

A beautiful post.

I'm sure the Freo footy club will make a statement or media conference. Ultimately though, they are an employment place, a workplace. Can only do so much for personal life.
Very sad to hear Yarran pass away. Happened in such a short term. The circumstances, conditions, everything involved. Awful.
RIP Shane. Such a massive potential and great player when he played. 5 goals in the WAFL GF. Definitely deserved to playing AFL ahead of Liam Ryan. Saddened.

Feel so sorry for the bloke and his family. I remember the photo of when he was drafted and how suprised but happy he was to be given a chance.

As others have said, I really hate the “outraged” nature of society in general these days. No one can ever make a mistake without being crucified by the media and keyboard warriors.

Rip Shane - I loved watching you play and hope you are at peace.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

DbN1fztUwAI9ZZ-.jpg

A nicer photo, and perhaps from happier times.

Is there a way to block posts on here? I don't want to scroll past that ******* filth every time I read through this thread.

Sad sad news. Left so much behind. I hope the boys wear armbands in support.

Not always easy to talk about the demons inside.

Please seek help if you need it guys/gals. I did after suffering silently for years not knowing that what I felt wasn't normal.

Please I can't say it enough... Seek help.
So right. No matter who you are, where you're from. It doesn't discriminate. There's nothing wrong in seeking help, its okay to not be okay. Seek help and let as much people know. This is awful, Yarran has had a tough time of it lately, now his partner and kid will be never be the same. Devastating. We're all in this together, no matter what team or affiliations at the end of the day.

Also not going to lie, it was hard to not get emotional after Pav's last game for me - although tomorrow I sense the boys will be paying respects during and after the game. Do not think I'll be able to hold back the tears.

Just remember not a lot of people who have bled our colors and fought for the Purple Army on field have passed on - Yarran will always be apart of this clubs history and ours as a supporters extended football family.

Working in the Indigenous justice sector for the better half of 10 years, I know how much his loss means to that community.

The thing is, he was never even meant to make it to an AFL club. Everyone he committed that awful burglary with several years ago have gone back to jail, and none will be coming out anytime soon. The environment he grew up in was mostly hellish, and Indigenous suicide in his particular geographical area in the south-eastern suburbs is not unusual.

But the kids I worked with worshipped him; people have got it wrong when they think the Cathy Freeman’s, David Wirrapanda’s and Adam Goodes’ are the pure heroes of the Indigenous community. It’s the guys like Yarran who have lived the same life as them, who committed crimes with their cousins and older brothers - and somehow managed to make it out and all the way to the big time. In mid-2016 it was a topic in a group therapy program I was a part of, and a common theme was trying to figure out how someone could come from that far back in life and become an actual goal-kicker in a game of AFL.

It was their personal closeness to a guy like him, from a family like his, that probably made some of them realise for the first time in their entire lives that alternative futures existed.

It didn’t work out, and it had a tragic end - but make no mistake, he achieved something no one in my industry would have expected someone in his immediate family background could ever have got close to.

I hope issues like this demonstrate that the people in our most downtrodden areas are also some of our most talented, and it’s the entire community’s responsibility to give them the ongoing love and mentor ship they need - not when they’re 26-27, and coming out of the jail system, but from the minute they learn how to spell their own name.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back