Jaidyn Stephenson - how good can he be?

Remove this Banner Ad

End of last season. De Goey.

You started that one too

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk
Bit harsh, should I tone it down to 1 every 2 years for you?

JDG is now being rumoured to be sought after on a big money deal to St Kilda, wouldn’t that validate it?

Stephenson has a remarkable story behind his recruitment and has been very good so far in the first third of 2018, you’d think that would also be a fair discussion to have in the MB regardless of the footy side he plays in.

Apologies for trying to create some discussion around footballers on the MB, I seem to have offended a few people in the process.

AFL talent manager Kevin Sheehan said on radio last year that he would take him at #1 in the draft but as now publicised, before the draft, a scare was sent through a host of clubs when his heart condition was revealed.

So far in the first 7 games this season, he hasn’t missed a beat and it seems as though Collingwood has gotten a bargain with pick 6.

The kid seems real capable of stepping up when required, highlighted by his 5 goal effort against last year’s Grand Finalists in Round 4. (2 in the first quarter when the game was still there to be won)

I thought he was quite instrumental tonight when the game was there to be won and ended up with 21 possessions, 2 goals, 8 score involvements and 3 clearances - not a bad feat for a 7th gamer playing predominantly up forward.

He seems like a good kid too and I’ve enjoyed watching his speed and composure for a first year recruit. How high is his ceiling?

I see what you did there.

What’s the status of his heart condition?

Is it something that he has to proactively manage through medication/diet or is it more that he has just has higher risk over his life to a heart issue?

I think all he has said publicly is that he takes beta-blockers and that his doctor is happy with him playing.
The arrhythmia could be a whole range of things (i think he said somewhere his sister has the same thing - so that does narrow it a bit). A lot of people could have very similar things going on, but just never symptomatic or picked up before. I am not aware whether he ever had an actual incident, or if it was just picked up on routine tests (not uncommon).
I would guess that he gets monitored by his GP or club doctor, and then see's his Cardiologist every 6 months or so. If they had any concerns he would not be playing.

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Threads like this frustrate me. The OP asks for opinions about a young player on his own team. A couple of posters encourage patience and want a better sample size before lauding him, and then the OP just attacks them because that don't think he's the best thing since sliced bread.

Either have a proper discussion on Jayden Stephenson (where you might not agree with every single opinion), or take it to the Collingwood board.

I agree with this - and applies to all clubs. (With examples across the board)
The main board is not the place to start a thread about one of your own players. (Even if its in the guise of "who's the best young player" etc. When its clear who you want to discuss).

If another supporter wants to start a Stephenson thread, then feel free to jump on board as a Pies fan.
Otherwise keep the discussion on our board.

I think he will be the greatest player of all time. 650 games 2000 goals 20 all australians 18 brownlows 16 colemans. break multiple records including most goals in a game, first player to have 22 3 vote games in the brownlow. In fact he is that good I think collingwood will never lose a game again until he retires, although he is that good he may never retire

Did I say you did? Melbourne supporters have created plenty of threads in the past about their own players, so it's a bit rich for a Melbourne supporter to complain about someone else from another club doing it.
But Clayton Oliver is unprecedented

Did I say you did? Melbourne supporters have created plenty of threads in the past about their own players, so it's a bit rich for a Melbourne supporter to complain about someone else from another club doing it.
How much better is Petracca than McCartin?

Will be a gun, when he fills out he's going to be extremely hard to stop, has some Nat Fyfe type traits about him, a couple of phantom drafters had him rated at number 1.

In saying that I'm extremely happy we took Cameron Rayner at 1, will be elite as well IMO.

Wonder how he'd go as a permanent inside mid once he fills out a bit. Fyfe played as a flanker/deep forward with stints as an outside mid as a junior due to his incredibly skinny frame, but always had a decent footy IQ, so you could see the natural progression as he put on muscle and spent more time as a permanent mid.

Stephenson's already shown he's incredibly composed in traffic. Would be the perfect long-term replacement for Pendlebury as that classy inside/outside mid with elite skills and vision.

Will be a gun, when he fills out he's going to be extremely hard to stop, has some Nat Fyfe type traits about him, a couple of phantom drafters had him rated at number 1.

In saying that I'm extremely happy we took Cameron Rayner at 1, will be elite as well IMO.
The standard 3-4 year review will be interesting. Always good to look back and see which clubs made correct or incorrect decisions. The top handful from last year’s draft seriously look talented, so will be hard to split for a little while yet.

I think he will be the greatest player of all time. 650 games 2000 goals 20 all australians 18 brownlows 16 colemans. break multiple records including most goals in a game, first player to have 22 3 vote games in the brownlow. In fact he is that good I think collingwood will never lose a game again until he retires, although he is that good he may never retire
Pretty unrealistic, how is he going to win 16 Coleman’s averaging a little over 3 goals a game?

Pretty unrealistic, how is he going to win 16 Coleman’s averaging a little over 3 goals a game?
So averages out to around 66 goals a year. Average coleman winner since 2011 has been around 70 goals. Considering the downward trend in goals will likely continue into the future and stephenson is going to improve at a rate of 50% a game of his already elite levels, so he will likely kick even more goals therefore 16 colemans is completely plausible.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back