Preview Round 8, 2018: Fremantle v St.Kilda - Optus Stadium, Saturday 12th May, 6:10PM AWST

Status
Not open for further replies.
The midfield haven’t/wasn’t bad in our early games, not perfect but battled hard.
Seriously think it has only been their kicking a long with the forwards on goals.
If we kick straight this year, IMO we would be in the eight & Richo would be our saviour.

Don't think goal kicking is out only problem but gees we make it look hard to earn a goal.
We've been in most games at 3/4 time from memory until our mids finally get broken and the flood gates open up.

Our coaches (Richo included) have had a long time to fix this though. We had pretty much the same problem all last year

Just on the Seb Ross non-love:

He has more metres gained this season that Tom Mitchell for significantly fewer turnovers. Now I watch him and he doesn't look as good as last year, but he's still within 2 disposals of last year's average with more tackles, rebound 50s and inside 50s. He's down on clearances and up on clangers which isn't good, but he is up on goal assists.

I really think a lot of our problems have little to do with Ross and more to do with others. If we can get Jack Steven performances like last week with Ross' consistency, then it really is up to others to cut the slack.

Also surprised not to see these headlines popping up in the dailies.
“Ex St Kilda Coach’s Job in Jeopardy”
Ex St Kilda coach Ross Lyon .... etc, etc.
Maybe the association time limit has expired.

It's only been 6 years.

Yeah but if we all do a course in Feminist Studies we can brow beat them and demean them until they spinelessly cave in to our more than reasonable demands.

We have to stand up to the Fascistic Patriarchy, then the great glory of The St.Kilda F.C. will finally be allowed to bloom.
Lol. Little idea. Have been married to a second wave feminist for thirty years.

Browbeat, lol. The fear of women hsving a voice by some is hilarious.

No, pathetic.

On [device_name] using BigFooty.com mobile app

Good to see Phillips in for a run and see how he goes, hopefully with 2 fwds out and 2 mids in we are throwing the changes around the positions board to try a few things, gresh middle, acres in the guts and resting full fwd etc

With brown, everyone positive for him is saying that he beats his man so should be in side, but my argument against him is that that is the problem, he focuses on his man too much and costs our 'team' defense that we should be playing and that leads to goals from other opp players, brown has even spoiled Carlisle more than a few times I have noticed all because his man goes up in the contest, carlisle has it covered but brown still goes up, ball spills to where brown should be sitting and waiting but instead he goes up in contest and another opp player gets to loose ball and goal etc
I think this is the type of game this week where browns lack of pace and team d focus will get found out. Happy to be wrong so we will see what happens.
I think overall though that seen as we aint making finals, we may as well get games into Austin/Goddard and see how they go so at least if they dont show a little by years end we can put the line through and pick up another KPD?

Really bummed with Long out for an extended time as I loved his inclusion from the start of year as he creates opportunities with his skill and little touches here and then, tapping the ball on, the creative stuff etc Gresh has that too, which is why I think he should be in the centre bounces more, get creative like Jacky Steven

He has more metres gained this season that Tom Mitchell for significantly fewer turnovers. Now I watch him and he doesn't look as good as last year, but he's still within 2 disposals of last year's average with more tackles, rebound 50s and inside 50s. He's down on clearances and up on clangers which isn't good, but he is up on goal assists.

I really think a lot of our problems have little to do with Ross and more to do with others. If we can get Jack Steven performances like last week with Ross' consistency, then it really is up to others to cut the slack.
Riley bonner > get him!

Good to see Phillips in for a run and see how he goes, hopefully with 2 fwds out and 2 mids in we are throwing the changes around the positions board to try a few things, gresh middle, acres in the guts and resting full fwd etc

With brown, everyone positive for him is saying that he beats his man so should be in side, but my argument against him is that that is the problem, he focuses on his man too much and costs our 'team' defense that we should be playing and that leads to goals from other opp players, brown has even spoiled Carlisle more than a few times I have noticed all because his man goes up in the contest, carlisle has it covered but brown still goes up, ball spills to where brown should be sitting and waiting but instead he goes up in contest and another opp player gets to loose ball and goal etc
I think this is the type of game this week where browns lack of pace and team d focus will get found out. Happy to be wrong so we will see what happens.
I think overall though that seen as we aint making finals, we may as well get games into Austin/Goddard and see how they go so at least if they dont show a little by years end we can put the line through and pick up another KPD?

Really bummed with Long out for an extended time as I loved his inclusion from the start of year as he creates opportunities with his skill and little touches here and then, tapping the ball on, the creative stuff etc Gresh has that too, which is why I think he should be in the centre bounces more, get creative like Jacky Steven
Totally agree with your comments.
Brown does a job , just spoils , Malthouse last week even made a comment about it - doesn't kick , no rebound even seen the guy punch the ball away when he had no one on him . All for looking for someone better and as you say throw the changes around.

Jack newnes hasn't come on as I thought he might he's just a decent player.

What he isn't though is soft, I think he had a late start and is still carrying something.

That just makes his continued selection even stranger IMO.
must agree , he is far from soft - lack of tackles is strange - if he has been playing with a injury / who ever lets the kid play should be sacked , no more Weller stories , I don't care if the kid has played 200 games straight

Lol. Little idea. Have been married to a second wave feminist for thirty years.

Browbeat, lol. The fear of women hsving a voice by some is hilarious.

No, pathetic.

On [device_name] using BigFooty.com mobile app
Tongue very much in cheek, and a comment on the how pointless it is arguing whether we should go with a tall or small forward line, whether Brown should be at full back etc, trying to post really quickly on phone, but if you think I was being serious, I apologise and recommend you take your own advice. Cheers.

Jack newnes hasn't come on as I thought he might he's just a decent player.

What he isn't though is soft, I think he had a late start and is still carrying something.

That just makes his continued selection even stranger IMO.
Richo loves to preach ‘saints footy’ as being relentless & high pressure, then continually picks a guy who doesn’t tackle. That’s why supporters are losing patience because nothing makes sense from the coaches box.

Not sure what to make of this... But alot of our boys feel like we are 1-2 wins away from getting back on track.

Is it good to be optimistic after what we have seen so far is it delusional?? I don't know .

But interesting to hear that is the mood from within. A few boys mentioned they are well aware of what the mood is amongst supporters aswell and they want to turn this around .

Not sure what to make of this... But alot of our boys feel like we are 1-2 wins away from getting back on track.

Is it good to be optimistic after what we have seen so far is it delusional?? I don't know .

But interesting to hear that is the mood from within. A few boys mentioned they are well aware of what the mood is amongst supporters aswell and they want to turn this around .
That's great news. It means they are working at it and haven't dropped their bundle.

The midfield haven’t/wasn’t bad in our early games, not perfect but battled hard.
Seriously think it has only been their kicking a long with the forwards on goals.
If we kick straight this year, IMO we would be in the eight & Richo would be our saviour.
We are last in clearances.

Third last in centre clearances.

Third last in contested possessions.

Third last in hitouts.

And 10th in tackles.

It's hard to see how our midfield could be going much worse. Somehow we are ranked 8th in disposal efficiency.

After some efforts this year half of them dont even deserve to wear the rwb. Whats wrong with Newnes?

Very surprising - but good to here they haven’t given up

I expect to win this game if we bring the effort , what I'm excited about is watching how well Acres , Phillips , Marshall play and if Steele , Billings , Newnes , Gresham , Dunstan play well because they are under the pump.

That's really positive to hear Stav.
actually improved my mood completely about our plight. Starts this week against an under the pump Freo without Wilson too.
Saints by 40!

Pity they have all booked their holidays on the first of September. Seriously though I would expect every player to say that. And they probably have booked their holidays then. Most are realistic to themselves.

I have plenty of love for Seb wish we had a few more like him

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back