Autopsy Positives and Negatives vs Richmond

Remove this Banner Ad

I've never seen him do that before, he was like a caged lion, the message seemed to be "as soon as I get out of this semi circle you blokes are toast" Magnificent. I reckon he should've let out a couple Lion ROARRRS and the tiggers would've packed it in altogether.

Gerard Healy mentioned that Nic Nat is a chaos player - his presence worries the opposition into doing things they wouldn't normally do - handball in a panic.

I've never seen him do that before, he was like a caged lion, the message seemed to be "as soon as I get out of this semi circle you blokes are toast" Magnificent. I reckon he should've let out a couple Lion ROARRRS and the tiggers would've packed it in altogether.
He often does it before the quarters start

Just to keep things in perspective in round 6 last year the Crows smashed Richmond by 76 points at home.How did they go on GF day.It was a good win,moving right along now!
You've made a really good point, there.
The hiding Richmond copped in Round 6 was probably one of the best things that happened to them all year. Until then, like us, they'd been undefeated, scoring highly/freely with growing confidence. After the game, Hardwick looked haggled and bemused, both. I remember him saying that the loss showed them how far they had to go --- which they did *mutter mutter gripe whinge :( :'(*.
The 12+ goal loss would have given their coaching staff ammunition to motivate their team, as in "You thought you were pretty good, didn't you? Well, you're 13 goals behind one of the best sides so you have a lot of work to do".
I'm not a fan of the following phrase, but in hindsight it really looked like "the loss they had to have".
Your clobbering them might provide similar motivation, again.
By contrast, I think one of the many reasons we lost the GF was due to player expectation because they'd beaten Richmond so convincingly before. Very often, when players think they're going to win --- "We-should-win-this" --- they don't (eg Round 9, Lions belted Hawks, Essendon walloped Cats).
"We-should-win-this" is one of the biggest mental traps in sport.

In here, however, I haven't seen much bravado or hubris about your excellent 8-1 position. It's more like, "Great win, move on, who's next?". :thumbsu:

Last edited:

Star forward Jack Riewoldt was left coughing up blood following a brutal bump during the Tigers’ loss, reports Fairfax Media...

That then led to Richmond’s club doctor having to speak with the captain of the team’s flight home to Melbourne before allowing Riewoldt to fly home.
Whenever I am feeling a bit rough before a flight, the first and only person I consult is the pilot.

You've made a really good point, there.
The hiding Richmond copped in Round 6 was probably one of the best things that happened to them all year. Until then, like us, they'd been undefeated, scoring highly/freely with growing confidence. After the game, Hardwick looked haggled and bemused, both. I remember him saying that the loss showed them how far they had to go --- which they did *mutter mutter gripe whinge :( :'(*.
The 12+ goal loss would have given their coaching staff ammunition to motivate their team, as in "You thought you were pretty good, didn't you? Well, you're 13 goals behind one of the best sides so you have a lot of work to do".
I'm not a fan of the following phrase, but in hindsight it really looked like "the loss they had to have".
Your clobbering them might provide similar motivation, again.
By contrast, I think one of the many reasons we lost the GF was due to player expectation because they'd beaten Richmond so convincingly before. Very often, when players think they're going to win --- "We-should-win-this" --- they don't (eg Round 9, Lions belted Hawks, Essendon walloped Cats).

In here, however, I haven't seen much bravado or hubris about your excellent 8-1 position. It's more like, "Great win, move on, who's next?". :thumbsu:

I feel this Eagles side mentally are in a good place. They were written off by many so called experts as being bottom 4 this year. They have a handful of pretty good players who have missed a lot of footy in the past couple of years due to injury. Last season the list copped very much a hard cull of some popular players, some who had a few years left to play.

We also have a couple of players like Kennedy, Hurn ans Le cras who may only have 1, 2 or 3 years left before they retire.

Add in a bit of youth and quite a few who tasted GF defeat in 2015 we have a team that mentally is not all that full of themselves and a bit desperate to succeed. They can see we have a good system and depth that is working but they know that opportunities like this are rare.

I hope all this keeps the group grounded and focused on what needs to be done week in week out.

Whenever I am feeling a bit rough before a flight, the first and only person I consult is the pilot.

Haha makes me think of the Seinfeld and his manager episode with the pilot. Maybe it was "Jack would like you to not attend his games anymore...its just that it kinda freaks him out"

yeh, interesting point, i'm not sure that was a reason they lost the GF, and I don't know the real reason. they were younger, less experienced, as was the coach. maybe over-awed, maybe got sucked in by all the media hype, maybe they just weren't good enough on the day, maybe Hawks were at their awesome best?
but do teams and players seriously go into a game these days thinking we should win this? as professionals they prepare in advance in every way possible..but some days lots of little factors add up and you get beaten, even if you know you're going in as favourites. Perhaps Simmo wasn't ready to take on his mentor, the master coach...he looks ready now.

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Can you definitely get HD replays on demand? I just checked on my smart TV app. No bingo. Next step is to check via gaming console but the app is the same.
Oh nah wasn’t talking about HD, still standard on the console. Just thought it might have been easier using the PlayStation to stream it rather than the phone (for live games). No idea how to get HD on demand though which is annoying, can’t really plan my day around waiting for the footy channel schedule to replay our game.

I don't know if there's anything less cool than calling Hutchings vanilla, the bloke is at worst passiona. Sickening use of the English language

they were younger, less experienced, as was the coach. maybe over-awed, maybe got sucked in by all the media hype, maybe they just weren't good enough on the day, maybe Hawks were at their awesome best?
1) but do teams and players seriously go into a game these days thinking we should win this? 2) as professionals they prepare in advance in every way possible..but some days lots of little factors add up and you get beaten, even if you know you're going in as favourites.
Uuuhhhh ... what? o_O
I did say it might have been one "of many reasons". Which GF are you referring to? I was talking about the 2017 GF, Crows vs Richmond.

1) yes, I think they do. Teams who've regularly contested finals since 2000 (Hawks, Sydney, WCE, Geelong) or take a hat trick (Hawks, Brisbane) all showed mental toughness and the ability to lift a gear to win a game from behind. In 2017, I think the Crows lacked that mental toughness and went into the GF weakened by injury, disunited by the Lever controversy and also expected to win based on the Round 6 clobbering they gave Richmond.
2) I agree, naming some of those factors above.
I never got the impression that the teams above ever played like "We-should-win-this". Their attitude was "We have to win this!" --- it was a necessity which enabled them to beat strong opponents and hammer weaker teams eg Brisbane at the Gabba, and your blokes at Subiaco when you dominated.

I don't know if there's anything less cool than calling Hutchings vanilla, the bloke is at worst passiona. Sickening use of the English language
Actually I am disappointed that "vanilla" is being used in a negative context. Vanilla is a delicious and very underrated flavour. Hutchings wishes he was vanilla. He should aspire to be vanilla. Right now he is unscented for sensitive skin.

If he was bald he would pass off as Juddy.

keanu-reeves-whoa.jpg

I'm thinking by the 4th quarter he's had plenty of liquid refreshment, and he's not actually hurting anyone. So <shrug>.

That's generally the case, he sits just down from me in 538 and is well lubricated by the time he is trying to start it. He's very proud of himself when it gets going.

Personally I hate the wave but I guess its just a bit of fun

Remove this Banner Ad

Back