Review Geelong d Gold Coast by 85 points - Rd 11, 2018

Remove this Banner Ad

The 36 points we kept the Suns to tonight was their equal 3rd lowest score in their history and the lowest score we have kept them to. A great team effort but also shows how solid our defensive unit is turning into:
View attachment 506111

The other thing to take note of is that out of our 11 matches, we have kept the opposition to 50 points or less on 5 occasions, and the Saints only scored 56 points - our defence has been very impressive this year which is something I think a few may have had some concerns with before the start of the season.

These are the names missing from our back 6 who played in our preliminary final loss last year: Mackie, Lonergan, Taylor & Henderson, then if you go back another 12 months when we said goodbye to Enright & Bartel (he kinda played off the backline during his last year), and it makes it all the more impressive when you consider what this current group is achieving.

I know that Taylor & Henderson will probably be hoping to push their way back into the side at some stage, but maybe the club needs to also be looking forward and realise the value in backing in this group & letting them develop together because just maybe they will form that same bond & cohesiveness that we saw from our back 6 during the 2007 to 2011 period.

Brilliant post cats09, I should really say, another brilliant post.

Many of us have considered how well our Defence is doing inspite of our injuries + losing Mackie, Lonergan, Taylor + Henderson, however, you make an excellent point that it's only another 12 months since Enright + Bartel retired. It is important for the Club to back this current Defence, specifically for the reason you've given -
"the club needs to also be looking forward and realise the value in backing in this group & letting them develop together because just maybe they will form that same bond & cohesiveness that we saw from our back 6 during the 2007 to 2011 period."

I think they're already showing glimpses of our previous Back Six, yes, I know, it's still too early for the doubters, yet so early in their time together, there are excellent signs. Whether it's due to Scarlo's coaching, Blitz finally finding his best position, Stewart's dynamic play, or all of those, the younger players - Kolo, Bews + Henry, have all settled well, with Henry being a revelation, + Tuohy is sacrificing his natural game to play his role. I read that Blitz is providing the leadership + all, including Scarlo are to be congratulated on how well they're going. You can see the respect, admiration + camaraderie oozing from them + they're already a tight-knit group.

Solid effort against ordinary opposition but kept the foot down to bank a solid win
Like the structure of the forwardline but it needs a few weeks to get more cohesive
Special shout out to some lesser lights
> Murdoch - largely error free performance with some very creative efforts from backing himself
> Black - solid for second week in a row, well done
> Cunico - love the disposal off both sides of the body but his acceleration is exactly what we need from a winger- growing more in confidence each week to back himself and break lines.

See what we can bring over the next two weeks

The thing that stood out for me watching the replay this morning, was the willingness of our midfielders (especially Kelly) to stand in front of their opponents at the stoppages and centre bounces.
Despite getting SMASHED in the hit outs, we were able to match them in numbers around the clearances.
Helps when you get first hand on the ball

Last edited:

I just finished watching the first half and noted that Hawkins was actually given a couple of maybe lucky/favourable calls from the umpires which resulted in a couple of goals to him - plus the mark he took which I think the commentators were trying to find free against Hawkins within the contest.

After being on the end of receiving calls going against him, especially last week, it was nice to see Hawkins being the one to receive the benefit on those 50/50 calls for once

I just read this comment on the AFLs Facebook post about our game:

Even though we lost, I’m still going to buy a 3 game membership and keep cheering for my GC Suns. Win lose or draw, my support will not waiver.

Seems very generous level of support there that they currently don't have a member but will go buy a 3-game one to show how much it won't waiver...

I just finished watching the first half and noted that Hawkins was actually given a couple of maybe lucky/favourable calls from the umpires which resulted in a couple of goals to him - plus the mark he took which I think the commentators were trying to find free against Hawkins within the contest.

After being on the end of receiving calls going against him, especially last week, it was nice to see Hawkins being the one to receive the benefit on those 50/50 calls for once
Certainly a couple of things went his way last night that don't normally.

In situations like that where both players are holding the other at some stage, if you are going to pay a free kick it should go to the player who is at least playing the ball, or even better just call play on rather than trying to look for an infringement that just isn't there

:thumbsu::thumbsu::thumbsu:

On the replay I just picked up the umpire saying "you put your arms around him" - so it's for the initial contact with the GC player facing him but the ball probably more than 5m away. A very soft call

Yes, a very soft call - because Miller had his arms around Danger too

Still bitter about the farewell we gave him in his last game as a coach.

An overrated coach and an awful special comments man.

I also think he's jelly about how it was Geelong's game style in '07 that blew apart the stodgy Sydney/West Coast/Adelaide triumvirate that was all the go in '05 and '06. Sydney couldn't get near the Cats under Roos for quite a while after even the latter game in '06 and he's probably hated that a side's high scoring and exciting play just trumped his defensive style of footy so comprehensively in the late '00's.

Just home an enjoyable evening,I must ask has anyone mentioned Gazzas electric sole boots,how did they come up on TV,they look pretty flash when he's running away from you.

No, didn't see his electric sole boots. Would you explain why they're so special? Are they the reason Gaz played a blinder?

The thing that stood out fir me watching the replay this morning, was the willingness of our midfielders (especially Kelly) to stand in front of their opponents at the stoppages and centre bounces.
Despite getting SMASHED in the hit outs, we were able to match them in numbers.
I noticed this at the ground. It looks like Scott has finally come to the realisation that it's what's needed to improve our clearance numbers.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I was sitting next to another Geelong supporter,and just prior to the game starting I said to one of the blokes I was with there's Scarlo and Enright and this other bloke asked me what's wrong with them are they injured.He'd fit in here.:D

Oh that is priceless! Did you explain they'd retired + were now coaching? Or did you leave him to his happy, guileless + blind oblivion?

Reminds me of a game earlier this year when BT said that Lonergan was injured + would return in about three weeks, meanwhile the camera was focused squarely on Fogarty *rolls eyes*

What were the 'couple'? There was the contact in the marking contest which wasnt there, sure..... That was our 6th goal, and was a s**t decision.

There was our second goal, when Hawkins was clearly taken high in a poor tackle, which came about because it was him versus Harbrow, a giant vs a midget after a ruck contest. You could see Harbrows hand over the shoulder. How was it lucky at all?

Other than that, we received 3 other free kicks which resulted in goals, all of which were there!! None of those were to Hawkins.

No, didn't see his electric sole boots. Would you explain why they're so special? Are they the reason Gaz played a blinder?
The soles of his boots twinkled like lights on a xmas tree,no lights around the outside of the sole just underneath so you could only see them as he ran directly away from you,he may have only worn them or turned them on in the last quarter we spotted them first after he kicked that great goal from the pocket.RIGHT IN FRONT OF ME,RIGHT IN FRONT OF ME:D

Solid effort against ordinary opposition but kept the foot down to bank a solid win
Like the structure of the forwardline but it needs a few weeks to get more cohesive
Special shout out to some lesser lights
> Murdoch - largely error free performance with some very creative efforts from backing himself
> Black - solid for second week in a row, well done
> Cunico - love the disposal off both sides of the body but his acceleration is exactly what we need from a winger- growing more in confidence each week to back himself and break lines.

See what we can bring over the next two weeks
Yep-spot on- good observations.
And yep, Murdoch is playing with some belief in himself. Hope he can take the next step now- has earned it.

Paul Roos must have a serious burning hatred for the Cats - will never give one ounce of credit, if Geelong are up it's always the other side is having issues. Pre-game always bangs on about how Geelong has a lack of talent.
Roos made a huge mistake when he said it was a Danger game, it was a SelAbleDuncMenStewFittBewsTuKoBlitzDangerWood game ;)

How good and bad was this last night

Check out @drunk_logic’s Tweet:

Drunk Logic is priceless

I was sitting next to another Geelong supporter,and just prior to the game starting I said to one of the blokes I was with there's Scarlo and Enright and this other bloke asked me what's wrong with them are they injured.He'd fit in here.:D

That reminds me of a conversation I had with a Geelong supporter a few years back just after Danger had agreed to sign with the Cats, and they said "That's awesome. We need another ruckman."

The defence could had easily allowed a few junk goals towards the end but to their credit they kept up their high standard

Like others have said they are really making a new back six ...and so quickly too
Blits took Lynch most of the night,it was good I thought to see Kolo on him for a short stint in the last if that was a coaching decision to give him a little experience then kudos to the coaching staff,it was at the other end of the ground to where I was so there may have been other reasons why that became the match up but I didn't see them.

That reminds me of a conversation I had with a Geelong supporter a few years back just after Danger had agreed to sign with the Cats, and they said "That's awesome. We need another ruckman."
Haha at the 95 GF, someone snuck us in to the members. The people sitting in front of us in their Carlton scarves thought Madden was playing for us, and at the half time siren they got up to leave thinking it was full time. ( if only) My brother and I were already speechless at the unfolding events and that didn’t help ;).

A stunning return to form saw the Cats crush the Suns by 85 points as Gary Ablett put on a clinic against his old club.
-
What went right?
-
Geelongs mosquito fleet of forwards, Jones, McCathy, Parfitt and Fogarty provided plenty of forward half pressure and kicked 4 goals between them.
Duncan coming off the back of the square at the centre bounce was a fantastic move by Chris Scott. This allowed for Duncan to receive the footy from our inside mids and use the footy exquisitely through the centre of the ground. It also put pressure on the Gold Coast midfielders when they won a clearance, something missing from previous weeks,
The midfield of Ablett, Duncan, Selwood, Dangerfield and Menegola amassed 160 possessions between them in a dominant around the ground display. Finally our midfield gelled and they have now set the bar on what to expect for the rest of the season.
Blicavs was outstanding on Lynch keeping him relatively ineffectual for most of the night. He was again supported by Stewart and Kolodjashnij as they dominated the aerial contests.
Stewart and Tuohy ran rampant across half back amassing 52 possesions, setting up attack after attack with their slick kicking skills.
Kelly and Menegola are flying under the opposition radar as they rarely seem to be manned up. Both have great skills and are hurting the opposition week in week out. Menegola also restricted David Swallow's influence, keeping him quiet for most of the night.
Our delivery into the forward 50 was much improved from previous weeks as we lowered the eyes and hit targets, rather than the bomb and hope of recent weeks.
-
What went wrong?
-
Jed Bews, Jake Kolodjashnij, Jordan Murdoch, Jordan Cunico, Zach Tuohy all registered zero tackles. the second time this has happened for Kolodjashnij and Bews in the past two weeks. This definitely needs amending.
The ruck is still a major issue as the Gold Coast's Witts had 47 hitouts to Stanley and Buzza's 22.
-
Next week v Nth Melbourne?
-
Both backlines are the stingiest in the league. Geelong will need tom maintain its discipline down back and work as a unit to quell inform forwards Brown and Waite. Tackling down back will ensure constant pressure on the Kangaroo forwards and should be a focus this week.
Our mids are up against it as Goldstein has returned to his best form in recent weeks. Need to break even in clearances and ensure North Melbourne's mids are under pressure at every opportunity.
Can't afford to bomb it inside 50 this week against to great aerial defenders in Thompson and Tarrant. keep lowering the eyes and hit targets inside 50 as we did against the suns.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back